WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Snooze

Snooze
Ranked #7 of 4,614 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Breakfast marks the beginning of a new day. At Snooze, we believe life is for living and each person and each day is worth celebrating. Our mantra: it only takes a moment to make a difference. From the day we were born, our people - Snoozers - have led the way serving creative twists on America's favorite breakfast classics in a casual, friendly and vibrant atmosphere. The passion of our Snoozers is contagious. Over the past 10+ years it has inspired Snooze fans of all ages across the country.
“My favorite San Diego breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic breakfast! My favorites are the chiliquilies Benedict and the omg French toast. They have a mimosa with pomegranate something or other and it's delicious! The wait is ridiculous and If I ever waited again I would go and cruise around hillcrest while I work up an appetite, it's usually at least an hour. If you can get there 8:30 or earlier not too bad of a wait. But snooze is worth it! Love this place.

• Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Ellicott City, Maryland
“great scene, okay food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Very hip, 60's retro ambiance; fantastic concept. I had a reuben sandwich from the brunch menu -- advertised as "heaped with corned beef"; just small to average portion; I was expecting Manhattan deli portion. Service was wonderful. I liked the space and the ambiance so much that I really wanted the food to match; sadly no. I'll give them another chance, though.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Fountain Valley, California
“Snooze No More”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

There are so many reviews on this breakfast/brunch spot, so I will be brief. Everyone has their own opinions, so you probably need to try it and judge it for yourself.
We didn't like Snooze at all and I'm disappointed, I so wanted to love it. We had hoped to try Snooze in Denver on our last trip there and just didn't make it, so I was excited to see they had opened in the Hillcrest neighborhood in San Diego.
We arrived at about 9:45 am on a Wednesday and the place was packed with a wait. We felt that we had entered the Jetson's cartoon from long ago or Tomorrowland at Disney. It is retro, yet futuristic, really cool decor. We waited about 15 minutes for a table and this is where it takes a turn.
While waiting there were so many flies buzzing around, creepy. Funny thing, I don't like flies in a restaurant. We were finally seated. Service eh, no real complaint, just not upbeat, happy or friendly, just neutral. They have some interesting things on the menu, I just wasn't in the mood to have a sugar coated, dripping in sweetness breakfast so opted for the breakfast tacos. Mr. B decided on a breakfast burrito, guess we were in the mood for Mexican food.
The tacos....so disappointed. The tortillas weren't cooked, maybe steamed, but very dry. As soon as I folded the first taco, the entire tortilla crumbled and it fell on the plate, so I ended up eating it with a fork. The eggs were bland, no salt, the potatoes were a bit gummy. The taste buds were very disappointed.
Mr. B's burrito was eh as well. The flour tortilla was not toasted, and was rather gummy, flavor was simply average.
I feel like we should give it another try and order the sickeningly sweet, dripping in caramel sauce sweet potato pancakes or stuffed french toast filled with marscarpone and sugar strawberries to see what the raves are about. Then again, I think not. Too bad Snooze, this guest left unhappy. Especially when I had flies buzzing all around my breakfast.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank beetrvln
Ludiak
“Unique menu but food was only so-so. Avoid Sunday!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We heard great things about this place and knew the wait would be ridiculous (we waited 2 hours and 20 min). Luckily there's an Urban Outfitters next door which helped with passing the time. Once seated, the staff was very friendly and efficient. The menu offered a lot of great choices but the actual food wasn't anything special. We were excited about all the usual pancakes and each ordered a different flavor. Mine, the sweet potato spice pancakes were overcooked near the edges and still raw in the center, plus I tasted no evidence of sweet potato! Out of three egg dishes that were ordered, they only was prepared correctly. The other two were either undercooked or overcooked. The one that was undercooked was comp'd by the manger after he stopped to check in and asked how the food was. That was very much appreciated.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ludiak
Pleasanton, California
“Snooze is NOT a sleeper!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We came to the restaurant because of a recommendation! And we double checked on Yelp! But we are convinced all the reviews were correct. This is a great place for breakfast, the variety, and the place is hopping! We enjoyed the staff and how efficiently they provided service. We had the pineapple upside down pancake and the smores french toast (they apologized because they ran out of graham cracker - the ginger snap substitution was fine.)

• Visited August 2013