“Very nice Stay”

Ranked #127 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Very nice Stay”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We choose this hotel on a recent visit to SD. We had booked a studio room and were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite at no charge. We enjoyed the location set amoung pine trees felt as if we were at a lodge. Enjoyable comp breakfasts every morning Very nice staff. Would defn stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Israel
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Another clean and convenient Staybridge Suites hotel, equipped with all you need.
This one is relatively smaller than other ones of the chain.
I took it because of price but can warmly recommend for fair breakfast, clearness and location (North San Diego).

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The location of this hotel was ideal and the room was comfortable with a full kitchen. It was clean. My only complaints are that the bathroom is situated a little odd, so if you're sharing the room, the door to the bathroom opens into the small sink area. Also, the TV faces into the room rather than at the bed or the couch. The fold-out bed could be okay for small children but wasn't suitable for an adult. We were using it and it wasn't comfortable at all. Also, with the fold-out bed opened, there really isn't much room or space between the fold-out and the main bed. The refrigerator in our room was very loud at night. The breakfast was very well done and the dining area was very nice. The staff was very nice. Parking was ample and close to the entrance.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Harleyfamily2013,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your stay. I am delighted to know that you found our location convenient. We certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the bathroom facility. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions seriously so that we can improve and provide the exceptional experience our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We ended up here unexpectedly during the recent wildfire evacuations. It was actually the third place we stayed at... and we were incredibly bummed we didn't just start off here! Very clean, quiet, and convenient, with rooms that were perfect for families with young children -- or anyone else who wants to be able to cook their own meals.

It is tucked a bit out of the way, but within close driving distance to almost anything you'd need. Should the need arise, we'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wannabeworldtrekker
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had stayed here before, heard they had completely remodeled. I think that was true but it was very disappointing. the room decor was dark and depressing. The non-smoking room smelled so heavily of some scented deodorizer that we had to open all the windows for the first few hours. The room was not ready at 3pm. We not were not told about the free breakfast served in the morning. We asked for a wake-up call, didn't get it. We were there for a Fri, Sat night stay. At 7pm on Fri. I read the sign while getting ready to go out that said there was no maid service on weekends unless requested before 5pm. To their credit, when I called to say we needed fresh towels each day they immediately said OK. We left Sat am, came back in the afternoon to find all the beds had been made and the dirty towels removed. However, there were no fresh towel replacements. I had to call and ask and they were brought to us.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful within their means, except for the lack of follow through on a wake up call.

The fact that we can have a well designed 2 bedroom suite with 2 separate bathrooms means we will probably utilize the hotel again but the experience was quite mediocre.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JayCee7030
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear JayCee7030,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. It is disappointing to hear we fell short of your expectations. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Evansville, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We've stayed here before and have loved the location. You think that you're in the woods, but in reality you're close to everything! We had a two-bedroom suite this time and it worked out beautifully with family coming over. We enjoy going out to eat but it's always nice to be able to dine in! Breakfast is wonderful with different selections daily. My son was visiting from Europe so the laundry was useful for packing light and he was able to take care of his needs.We will definitely stay again!.

Room Tip: Our room was on a quiet short end of the hall, it was serene! We slept like babies!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kendall S
Murrieta, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to southern California for a new job in San Diego, CA. I needed an extended-stay solution (45-90 days which ended up being 98 days total - March-June, 2014) during the transition. Sam McGruder helped me with my reservation and maintained contact with me during my entire stay. Managers Nicole Price and Scott Griffin were always available and ready to assist. In addition, Ed (at the front desk), well, it is obvious he is there to serve. He is simply a wonderful person. Sincerely, I think everyone there was friendly and genuine and they always greeted me by name. I know I’m sure to miss someone, but I don’t want to miss Alex, Frank, Karolina, and Kostana. I didn’t catch the name of the gal that managed breakfast over the last month or so, but she was FABULOUS!

One thing that Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area doesn't advertise (and I don't know why) is their free evening social every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday which includes dinner, dessert, soft drinks, wine, beer and Saki...did I mention it’s FREE. Alex is an EXCELLENT host for the evening social. Social dinners typically include a salad, rice, snack chips, and veggies. Entrees include a baked potato bar with choice toppings, burgers, brats, hot dogs, chili, baked beans, quesadilla, pizza, chicken, soup, etc...

Now, they do advertise free breakfast, but they don't tell you that it’s terrific and that the entree changes daily, 7-days a week. The staples are coffee, juice, milk, yogurt, a choice of 6 dry cereals, oatmeal, breads, bagels and English muffins, a morning pastry (such as coffee cake, muffins, pound cake, Danish, croissant, etc.), fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, melon),hard boiled eggs, steamed rice and nori. The entrees can include scramble eggs, chorizo scramble eggs, hash, egg/cheese omelets, egg patties (for breakfast sandwich), bacon, sausage, roasted onions and peppers, pancakes, French toast sticks, etc.

The rooms are well appointed, spacious and comfortable. I found the bed and bedding to be at my desired firmness/softness. I did not care for the bed pillows much, too soft, and therefore needed to used several, but to be fair, I'm picky ab out my pillows. The A/C unit was awesome and other than the sound of the blower, made no irritating noise. I found good water pressure and hot water whenever I needed it. Each unit has a full-size fridge w/ icemaker, microwave, induction cooktop, dishwasher and ample cabinetry. They provide dishwashing liquid and powder for the dishwasher, as well as dish towel/cloth, dishes, glassware, pots/pans, silverware, can opener, corkscrew, veg peeler, toaster, coffee maker (with coffees and teas), salt, pepper, sugar and creamer packets, microwave popcorn, paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, hand and body bar soap, and lotion. Other than needing to buy some plastic wrap and Ziplocs, they provided everything I required. The closet is spacious and comes with several hangers. Given I was there for 98 days; I needed to purchase a few more.

- They also offer a free laundry equipped with five washers and five dryers that are always functioning.
- You can purchase laundry soap pods at the front desk for $1.
- The onsite pool is heated 24/7 at a lovely temperature and was always clean.
- They have a half-size basketball court, with basketballs available at the front desk.
- There is a fire pit, and BBQ grills and outdoor seating as well.
- Parking is free and the lot well lit.
- Designated Pet Areas with supplies.

The physical location offers easy access to everything - shopping, dining, interstates, and entertainment. The location is quiet - no real street noise except for an occasional fire truck siren.

NOTE: While I was there, San Diego experienced several brush fires. The Staybridge staff was prepared and very reassuring. I noticed several SoCal Firemen on site during this time. I felt VERY safe.

During the last week or so of my stay, my husband, son and my two dogs (Spencer and Zoey) joined me, and the staff welcomed them all with the same inviting demeanor and care.

Having been separated from my family and pets during this transition, Staybridge felt like a home away from home. The only other time I have seen such offerings was at a high-end timeshare.

I was extremely impressed.

Room Tip: Contact the Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area directly for reservations. You'll...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DebraMDNRMom
tpeterson20, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear DebraMDNRMom ,
Your review is the reason why we love to work hard for our guests; it is also the reason we love our job. Your appreciation for every department and associate wasn't overstated and we collectively feel that while you were here longterm you wouldn't have ever overstayed your welcome. We also look forward to having you, your husband, and your very polite son back to our property as soon as you have the chance. This will forever and always be your "home away from home".

Kindest Regards,
Residence Inn San Diego Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mountain Ranch
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo
Courtyard San Diego Rancho Bernardo
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway

Been to Staybridge Suites San Diego Rancho Bernardo Area? Share your experiences!