“Yummy pig” 4 of 5 stars

Carnitas' Snack Shack
Ranked #31 of 4,559 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
coronado
“Yummy pig”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Three of us trekked to North Park to try this place and it was worth it, despite having to wait in a (short but slow) line in the hot sun. We arrived at 11.50 and there was less of a line when we left, but also no seats left. We had the carnitas tacos, which were very tasty and full of meat. The beet spinach and goat cheese terrine was good, but a bit small for the price (there were also a couple of spinach stems in there; all stems need to be removed from spinach in my view). The dark chocolate whisky bacon truffles were sublime. What we did not like: people from further back in line going in and reserving tables with sunglasses etc. (management should stop this), the flies, and the table-bussing cartons placed right in front of the knives and forks. The servers need to be the ones handling the cartons of dirty dishes, and they should be stored somewhere out of sight, rather than out in the open in front of the customers.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Cumming, Iowa
“Craving Carnita”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although my children sometimes don't want to expand their palettes, we ordered the tacos for them-they loved them without any of the toppings or sauces, so yes just plain pork tacos, but we ate their pico and it as fabulous! I had the steak sandwich which I found a little tough, but I also like my beef med rare. My hubby had e triple threat, and after hassling the kids with their food, was able to gobble it down, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I really enjoyed the side of corn relish or corn slaw. I thought it was a very unique and tasty addition to this style if meal. After site-seeing all day, we could have used a restroom to freshen up, and one was not obvious, but we also didn't ask. We were able to park n a side street and had easy access thro a sort of alley way or between two properties.

Worth your time and money. Check it out.

Visited June 2013
North Hollywood
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family and I were visiting San Diego and I found this place thru tripadvisor and we loved it. We arrived 20 minutes early and we're glad we did. A line was already forming and it wasn't even open. My husband placed the order while my kids and I held an outdoor patio table. It took about 20 minutes for the food to come after he placed the order but it was well worth it. I got two carnitas tacos and they were huge and full of meat. They were topped with fresh tomatoes and a delicious heap of fresh guacamole. The man that brought them out was quick yet friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that it could've used a little more salt. (I had to ask for some on the side).

It's an outdoor atmosphere. As it says, it is a shack but it has an nice outdoor seating area. Parking was a little hard to find. You will have to do some walking and waiting if you want to eat here but it's worth it. It's also very pricey. Two tacos set us back $7 each and there was four of us, so it does add up. The french fries were awesome!

“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The carnitas were great .. Stopped in for Father's Day lunch so was kinda crowded .. I had the steak sandwich .. Yummy loved it.. My husband had ribs and potato salad.. Salad was bland.. My father in law had the blt .. So we went back around 10pm so my hubby could try it himself .. It had about a pound of bacon. He said it was ok. I tried the triple threat on visit 2 .. The schnitzel was dry and in flavored after removing that and the bacon and just leaving the pulled pork my sandwich was great .. Over all it a great little find .. Great price and love the atmosphere ..

Jacksonville, Florida
“Nom Nom Nom Pork Nom Nom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

In town for training and found this gem on trip advisor. The place uses local products and changes their menu daily. I had a monster pork, pork, and pork sandwhich with bacon on it. It was amazing! Usually I am a barbecue sauce guy with my pork but to put it on this sandwhich would have been sacrilege. For $15 I got a giant sammy, too many fries to eat, and a bottle of rootbeer I had never heard of. This place is a walk up window to order and all outdoor seating but the ambiance is awesome. I went at night and it was almost romantic in their courtyard area. They have hanging white lights, nice wood porch like overhang, and outdoor heaters for the cooler San Diego evenings. I know I will make multiple visits here during my short time in the city. Please try this joint out!