“Craving Carnita” 4 of 5 stars

Carnitas' Snack Shack
Ranked #10 of 4,545 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Cumming, Iowa
“Craving Carnita”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although my children sometimes don't want to expand their palettes, we ordered the tacos for them-they loved them without any of the toppings or sauces, so yes just plain pork tacos, but we ate their pico and it as fabulous! I had the steak sandwich which I found a little tough, but I also like my beef med rare. My hubby had e triple threat, and after hassling the kids with their food, was able to gobble it down, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I really enjoyed the side of corn relish or corn slaw. I thought it was a very unique and tasty addition to this style if meal. After site-seeing all day, we could have used a restroom to freshen up, and one was not obvious, but we also didn't ask. We were able to park n a side street and had easy access thro a sort of alley way or between two properties.

Worth your time and money. Check it out.

Visited June 2013

North Hollywood
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family and I were visiting San Diego and I found this place thru tripadvisor and we loved it. We arrived 20 minutes early and we're glad we did. A line was already forming and it wasn't even open. My husband placed the order while my kids and I held an outdoor patio table. It took about 20 minutes for the food to come after he placed the order but it was well worth it. I got two carnitas tacos and they were huge and full of meat. They were topped with fresh tomatoes and a delicious heap of fresh guacamole. The man that brought them out was quick yet friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that it could've used a little more salt. (I had to ask for some on the side).

It's an outdoor atmosphere. As it says, it is a shack but it has an nice outdoor seating area. Parking was a little hard to find. You will have to do some walking and waiting if you want to eat here but it's worth it. It's also very pricey. Two tacos set us back $7 each and there was four of us, so it does add up. The french fries were awesome!

• 4 of 5 stars
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The carnitas were great .. Stopped in for Father's Day lunch so was kinda crowded .. I had the steak sandwich .. Yummy loved it.. My husband had ribs and potato salad.. Salad was bland.. My father in law had the blt .. So we went back around 10pm so my hubby could try it himself .. It had about a pound of bacon. He said it was ok. I tried the triple threat on visit 2 .. The schnitzel was dry and in flavored after removing that and the bacon and just leaving the pulled pork my sandwich was great .. Over all it a great little find .. Great price and love the atmosphere ..

Jacksonville, Florida
“Nom Nom Nom Pork Nom Nom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

In town for training and found this gem on trip advisor. The place uses local products and changes their menu daily. I had a monster pork, pork, and pork sandwhich with bacon on it. It was amazing! Usually I am a barbecue sauce guy with my pork but to put it on this sandwhich would have been sacrilege. For $15 I got a giant sammy, too many fries to eat, and a bottle of rootbeer I had never heard of. This place is a walk up window to order and all outdoor seating but the ambiance is awesome. I went at night and it was almost romantic in their courtyard area. They have hanging white lights, nice wood porch like overhang, and outdoor heaters for the cooler San Diego evenings. I know I will make multiple visits here during my short time in the city. Please try this joint out!

Coronado, California
“Smells like PIG”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really wanted to like Carnitas' Snack Shack after all the great yelp reviews. I called in my order and I told them we want to eat on the patio. The person taking the order said OK, don't get in line, just walk up to the window in 20 minutes and give them your name. I did so. Food was not ready, no worries, we can wait. Then I paid. After I paid the man at the window told me that I should not eat on the patio because if I want to do so, then I need to get in line and order here, and the restaurant spend thousands of dollars on to go containers. But my order has not been made yet, can't they put it on dishes? But OK, we will take it to go. The food was finally ready 1 hour after I placed the order. We drove home in 10 minutes. The fries were in the bottom of the bag and they were cool and soggy. I guess they ready in the 20 minutes initially quoted, but had to sit in closed containers at the bottom of a bag of food while the other items were 40 minutes late. The frisee in the beet terrine salad was also wilted and soggy. The triple threat pork sandwich was very odoriferous, smells like a pig sty. The carnitas tacos was loaded with avocado, however, the meat was tough and flavorless, but the worst part was the corn tortillas, they were dry and thick. The best part the order was the steak sandwich, the meat was tender. TripAdvisor reviews have been good to me but this time I have to respectfully disagree.

• 1 of 5 stars