“Nom Nom Nom Pork Nom Nom”

Carnitas' Snack Shack
Ranked #83 of 4,764 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Jacksonville, Florida
“Nom Nom Nom Pork Nom Nom”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

In town for training and found this gem on trip advisor. The place uses local products and changes their menu daily. I had a monster pork, pork, and pork sandwhich with bacon on it. It was amazing! Usually I am a barbecue sauce guy with my pork but to put it on this sandwhich would have been sacrilege. For $15 I got a giant sammy, too many fries to eat, and a bottle of rootbeer I had never heard of. This place is a walk up window to order and all outdoor seating but the ambiance is awesome. I went at night and it was almost romantic in their courtyard area. They have hanging white lights, nice wood porch like overhang, and outdoor heaters for the cooler San Diego evenings. I know I will make multiple visits here during my short time in the city. Please try this joint out!

Coronado, California
“Smells like PIG”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really wanted to like Carnitas' Snack Shack after all the great yelp reviews. I called in my order and I told them we want to eat on the patio. The person taking the order said OK, don't get in line, just walk up to the window in 20 minutes and give them your name. I did so. Food was not ready, no worries, we can wait. Then I paid. After I paid the man at the window told me that I should not eat on the patio because if I want to do so, then I need to get in line and order here, and the restaurant spend thousands of dollars on to go containers. But my order has not been made yet, can't they put it on dishes? But OK, we will take it to go. The food was finally ready 1 hour after I placed the order. We drove home in 10 minutes. The fries were in the bottom of the bag and they were cool and soggy. I guess they ready in the 20 minutes initially quoted, but had to sit in closed containers at the bottom of a bag of food while the other items were 40 minutes late. The frisee in the beet terrine salad was also wilted and soggy. The triple threat pork sandwich was very odoriferous, smells like a pig sty. The carnitas tacos was loaded with avocado, however, the meat was tough and flavorless, but the worst part was the corn tortillas, they were dry and thick. The best part the order was the steak sandwich, the meat was tender. TripAdvisor reviews have been good to me but this time I have to respectfully disagree.

1 Thank nadomom2
San Diego, California
“Pork fat rules!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Emeril Lagasse loves the three words "pork fat rules" and I wish he could sample the Carnitas Snack Shack in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego. With everything from the pork belly app (we didn't order, but could hear the moans from the girls eating it across from us) to the carnitas tacos, to the BLT, it is a pork-lovers paradise! Our trio tasted the BLT, the pork burger and the pork tacos. All three were very flavorful and sized very generously. The burger and BLT have a generous slathering of the shack aioli and it's better than any mayo I've ever tasted! There was quite a wait to get in at lunchtime on a Wenesday, and they cook to order, so it can be a 20-minute wait to get your meal, but well worth it if you have the time. The casual outdoor seating makes you feel like you're in someone's backyard for a BBQ. Plus they have their herb garden planted right there among the tables. Such a fun place to go. Can't wait to go back!

Los Angeles
“One's meat fix”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is the place to get your meat fix. The ambiance is cool; it's like eating at someone's awesome backyard. We've gone here multiple times, and service is consistently excellent.

• Visited March 2013
Redmond, Washington
“Meat, meat, and more meat.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My son raved about the place, and I was a little bit skeptical. He didn't oversell it one bit it was fantastic. I had the best ribeye sandwich I have ever had. Everything I saw coming out of the kitchen looked amazing. I can't wait for my next trip to San Diego to try something else from the menu.

• Visited May 2013