“Pork, Pork and more Pork please!!”

Carnitas' Snack Shack
Ranked #95 of 4,832 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I'm not one to review Restaurants on TripAdvisor unless something really stands out. And at Carnitas Snack Shack it's the pork!! Man the Carnitas tacos are delicious and BIG! Definitely getting my money's worth here. Another dish NOT TO BE MISSED is the Mac N Cheese. I crave this every now and then. And it's not on the menu all the time so order it if it is offered.

As for the restaurant, well the name says it all. it's a Shack with a remodeled area out back that seats maybe 20?! They have a small problem with flies but when the food is that tasty I would stick around too!!

Great value, tasty pork dishes and AWESOME Mac N Cheese! 2 thumbs up for sure!!

There are newer reviews for Carnitas' Snack Shack

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Chef Hanis Cavin (formerly of Kensington Grill, Chive and Mixx) has a love affair with pork. He has a little pet pig called carnitas and he has a porker parts diagram tat on his arm. And he's turned his passion into one of San Diego's unique culinary treasures.

My favorite was his piggybacking of pulled pork and pepperoni atop a crisp pork schnitzel in the amazing "Triple-Threat" sandwich. It's garnished with the house creamy rich aioli.

The "Triple-Threat" was one of the best sandwiches I have sunk my fangs into. You would think this would be over-the-top porkyness, but the aioli and pickled veggies all worked to contrast perfectly with the rich savory meats. I ate the whole thing!

Even the pastries may contain bacon, like the "bacon brittle" ice cream sandwich that provides a delicious follow-up to the overstuffed bacon BLT (lots and lots of bacon, crisp and juicy and as appealing as can be) served on buttery brioche bathed again with aioli.

For your friends who aren't so porkerly inclined, Carnitas' also offers a vegetable sandwich with pesto, and crispy Brussels sprouts flavored with Serrano chilies and tart lime juice.

The seasoned fries are some of the best in town and served with house-made ketchup.

The place is small with limited outdoor seating so get their early, it's worth the wait even if there is a small line. Everything is cooked to order so be prepared to wait a few minutes for your order. It's all about porky goodness and a culinary destination for folks like me who worship the gods of bacon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The amazing carnitas tacos and the "Triple Threat" will keep me coming back for more. But everything else sounded awesome as well. Hmmm, next time the bacon ice cream sandwich for sure!

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I've been here for lunch with some friends and we all loved it! There is only outside seating but they have heatlamps. Not really an issue in SD as the winters are not very cold.
The food is very very good. You can't even believe how good it is considering the rather low prices (everything below 10$).
The big rip starter and the burgers/sandwiches are to die for!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I am a southern boy, grew up eating pork in all it's forms very regularly. I love this place. Their Pork Sandwich with pork 3 ways is the bomb. Although I have to admit I always substitute pork belly for bacon. The pork belly appetizer is not to be missed. The food is truly five star. It is as described by other reviewers, a small window on University Avenue where you place your order and then you pick it up at the back or sit on an open air back patio and consume it there. I chose to call my order it and have it ready to go for me when I arrive and then take the wonderful food home and eat it in the comfort of my own home.