“A great find.”

Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between 4th & 5th
Description: Fig Tree Café began in the fall of 2008 with owner Johan Engman's simple mission rooted in the creation of an inviting and genuine dining experience. Since opening the first location in Pacific Beach, Fig Tree Café planted a second restaurant in the middle of San Diego's Hillcrest neighborhood at 416 University Avenue. In Hillcrest, Fig Tree Café features an urban modern open kitchen concept, enabling patrons to observe the culinary action. The eatery is easily intimate with chameleon-like characteristics. It operates as an on-the-go spot for daytime diners serving the finest breakfast, brunch, and lunch options. Playing host to the Pacific Beach crowd, the original café inhabits an old cottage with a dog-friendly patio, surrounded by a garden-like setting just off the beach-goers' beaten path. According to local lore, the flagship locale even includes an old putting green, left intact underneath the deck. The most recent branch sprouted in August 2013 in the Liberty Station development. Rustic wine barrels flank the indoor bar, made from wood which once supported stairs to the deck of Chef Alberto Morreale's home. Dining al-fresco is enjoyable on a patio built for up to 50 of Point Loma's finest folks. The mesh of necessity and creativity cultivates a warm vibe supported by honestly reclaimed décor. Each incarnation of Fig Tree Café is uniquely designed to fit the neighborhood niche and the three establishments share a commitment to using homegrown rosemary, selecting produce and eggs from a family farm in Ramona and giving back to their respective communities. Fig Tree Café's menu presents diners with the depths of California's culinary culture, serving authentic and mouthwatering dishes at reasonable neighborhood prices.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Visited here for the first time over the Christmas holiday for a late breakfast and enjoyed it so much went another couple of times before we left San Diego.
The food each time was always excellent, tasty and well presented. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. It was generally a nice laid back place to have a meal.
Will definately go back there when next in San Diego.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Me and my boyfriend came into your location on Dec 2 hungry. I did not like the fact that I waited at the host podium for a few minutes waiting to get greeted so I could put my name on the waiting list while five workers would walk right past me. A simple "someone will be right with you" would have been nice. The wait was short, which is a plus. Our server was Natalia. While trying to take my order, she rudely commanded the busboy to get her two waters while he was in the middle of doing something else. I could tell the lunch rush was making her flustered but she should have not shown that in front of customers especially when I was in the middle of taking my order. I ordered two buttermilk blueberry pancakes and my boyfriend ordered the spicy sausage omelette. I did not like the orange zest syrup and wanted regular syrup but our server was busy standing around so I asked another server who was more attentive than Natalia. The food was so amazing but we should not have waited almost an hour for our food. Natalia said that the computer crashed and our order was lost. This was after twenty minutes of waiting and waiting. I also find it bothersome that she did not write down our order, which is important when working in the food industry especially when she was already flustered to begin with. She told us that our food would be out in a few minutes but those few minutes turned into a half hour later. With a situation like this, it should be communicated to a manager on duty and/or the kitchen to push our order first. It was extremely frustrating to see almost to appear like dozen of tables to eat when we were there way before them. While waiting for my food for almost an hour, I saw how other staff members communicated to their guests and really wished we got the same treatment. Me and my boyfriend were visiting San Diego and heard great things about this place but after my service there today, I feel that if I were to ever come back to the area again, I would avoid this place at all costs.

I love the food and the decor but I should not have waited so long for my food. Natalia only came to the table three times. I work in the food industry and even during rush hour, it is important to check up on tables and make sure they are not forgotten. It is also important to not show that you are flustered in front of customers and remain professional. I really do love the food but I cannot get over the fact that Natalia did not make an effort to try to get our food to us faster. I know it was not her fault the computer crashed but something could have been done to make it a positive. As we were leaving, the bus boy told us to have a good day and thank you while Natalia looked at us and just walked away. Working in the food industry, you must have good customer service skills. Even a simple thank you makes a difference.

The next time I am in the area, I will probably come again but not have Natalia as my server. I felt Natalia was unprofessional and her attitude is not suitable for the food industry. This problem should be fixed cause one bad employee can lose customers or potential ones especially in a tourist area

1  Thank Jade N
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Early evening dinner was excellent. Had the pork chop w/ caramelized apples - very yummy. My friend had the short ribs - you could cut it with your fork...tender & good. Loved the decor and atmosphere. Excellent service. Nice size menu. The truffle oil french fries went by and I thought I'd fall out of my chair following that smell to another table! Lots of things on the menu that makes me want to come back and try more things. Read in another review about the parking garage behind the restaurant...that's good to know about!

1  Thank km6tacos
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a great, hearty breakfast this morning. Although set on a busy street, the place was downright serene. Everything was cooked to order. The daily special was a 3-3-3 breakfast at $5. The coffee and tea were wonderful, the service was delightful. Can't ask for more of a small town feeling in a big town setting.

1  Thank BabsNMarty
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Quaint restaurant with great menu (eggs Benedict on home made focaccia - Yessss!) reasonable prices, great staff and quick service. Only drawback to our visit was that it was a bit too warm inside.