Review Highlights
Wow! Eye to Eye with Great White Sharks - exhilarating

My shark dive experience at Guadalupe Island was outstanding. I have never done any cage diving... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
CliffVP
Folsom, California
The life of your time.

Just book it! This may be long, but worth it. If you are looking for the ultimate adventure... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Chris M

All reviews great white sharks great whites guadalupe island shark week dive master diving trip bucket list trip discovery channel amazing trip large sharks underwater camera bait fish water visibility highly recommend this trip the galley awesome crew always felt safe
Reviewed March 1, 2016

Fun group on our Oct 2015 trip to Guadalupe. For anyone looking for 5 star accomodations, this isn't it but anyone looking for a laid back trip with lots of knowledgeable people, this is worth it. It's also great that the staff will stop or slow down along the way to give you time to see the dolphins, whales & other sea life that may show up.

The crew is helpful, the food is plentiful & there throughout the day so you can keep hydrated & fed inbetween dives.

No shortage of big sharks to see. I did False Bay in South Africa a few months earlier & saw even bigger & more curious sharks in Guadalupe (in warmer water!). JImmy & the crew are there to answer questions, offer insight & make the trip more enjoyable. The sharks here are much more curious & approach the cages so you can get many pictures of a lifetime easily. There is no shortage of cage time & it may take a little while to get the sharks there on the first dive, but once they show up, you'll see all you ever hoped to see.

My only negative of the whole trip was breaking my hand on the trip out. The crew quickly did what they could to bind it up which I appreciated. Did make getting in the cage a bit more challenging but everyone stepped up to help. I was a bit disappointed nobody bothered to check on how I was after we returned. Oh well.

If you like laid back, good people with a lot of knowledge, good food & BIG sharks, this is for you.

3  Thank Patti W
Reviewed October 29, 2015

This was a bucket list trip for me and it went way beyond what I expected. The close encounters with ENORMOUS sharks literally within 1 - 3 feet of the cage made this the trip of a lifetime. When they turn and face you, there's something primordial in you that says I shouldn't be here, but I knew I was safe in the cage and I was able to capture the moment on film to share with all my family and friends. I can't emphasize enough, this trip is amazing!! The captain Jason is super knowledgeable and approachable, and ensured that we saw dolphins, whales, and seals on the trip to/from Guadalupe Island. The dive master Jimi from Shark Diving Xperts answered all our questions and made sure that we had the BEST dive experience possible. The crew, especially Rick the Chef, made it a 5 star trip. This is a MUST DO trip!! I traveled as a single unaccompanied female and felt totally safe, please consider it!!

7  Thank Christine V
Reviewed October 16, 2015

I just returned from 5 nights on the boat. The first day/night were travelling to the Guatalupe Island. We anchored a short distance from the island. The entire crew was excellent. The cook for all meals did a very nice job and was a pleasant man. The captain, Jason, was good at keeping us informed. Jimi, from "Shark Dive Xperts" was our dive master and guide. He is a very nice young man with a wealth of experience and knowledge. The rooms/cabins are VERY modest. They were clean but small.....no bathroom, closet, just a sink. There are only bunk beds so if you're thinking about reading in bed, you'll have to pretty much be laying down or you'll hit your head on the bunk above. There's one plug in. Mine was in the ceiling so was a bit of a challenge when wanting to charge something. However, there were several options in the dining room. Now about the shark diving....that's why all of us were there. There are two shark diving cages with up to 4 people in each. The cages stay at the surface of the water but are deep, so you go down several feet. Each diver has its own regulator. The tanks are on the boat, so have up to 4 long "hoses" in the tank. Not a problem. You also have a wetsuit with weights to put on. They help you with all of this. Getting in and out of the cages needs alittle help from the crew but not a problem. I think I was the oldest person in the group (68 years old) and always wanted them to help me. They were always excellent helpers. You went in for about an hour, then out for an hour and back in for an hour....went like this for a few hours. If you didn't want you rotation, you didn't have to. If you wanted to get out of the cage, you could. One time I was cold, so just got out of the cage....to the top and just sat there til time for everyone to get out. Worked out fine. Everyone has cameras....the whole point of the trip. Everyone got great pictures!! We saw about 20 great whites the three days there.....keep in mind you have one day to get there and one day to return to San Diego. If you love wildlife and photography, as I do, then go for it. The trip is a bit spending but was worth every penny!!! I forgot to mention, there are 2 shower/bathrooms on the main deck....only ones.

4  Thank maggieminn
Reviewed August 14, 2015

I recently took a three night/two day fishing trip with Islander Charters. My brothers and I were celebrating my fathers 80th birthday. My two brothers and father shared a cabin (there were four bunks in their cabin). I was lucky enough to have a cabin of my own (there were two bunks and a sink in my cabin, which I highly recommend!).

The boat is a working fishing/dive vessel. Don't expect cruise ship amenities and luxury. Be prepared to stow your own gear. If you don't like bunk beds, then this is not your adventure! They have two heads with showers - lots of hot water!

The fishing was remarkable, but what made the experience meaningful was the staff. Captain John, Captain Jason, the deck hands Matt, Andrew, Jarred and Chef Rick really went out of their way to help their customers on the charter.

Matt, Andrew and Jarred are amazing young men who really love their job! They coached anyone who hooked a fish to help you successfully land that fish in the boat. I was impressed with how hard they worked from dawn until well beyond dusk. One of the Captains were ever present. Just a group of super positive guys.

Chef Rick was amazing! And I have to admit to having a bit of a crush on him and his mad skills in a galley kitchen smaller than my kitchen counter at home! We were served three meals a day as well as two snacks. It was gourmet! Food cooked to perfection. WOW!

The weather was epic, awesome sunrises and sunsets. But really, it was the fishing. I would say off the hook, but in this case - it was on the hook! We caught blue and yellow fin tuna. We had the opportunity to see some hammerheads - one even munched a tuna as it was being reeled in.

We had a diverse group of people on our charter. A couple who were in their mid 70's, a group from the same business that were team building, and a father and son who were similar in age group as my brothers and father. A wide range of ages and three women. It was a great experience getting to know everyone on the charter.

I will definitely see Islander Charters again! I would love to go on their cage diving adventure next.

Thanks for an exceptional experience.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed July 10, 2015

I have actually used Island Charters twice, and I plan on going again. Everything about the trip was fantastic, the crew, the sharks, and even the food (which is impressive since I am a vegetarian). I highly recommend using Islander Charters, and I look forward to my next trip with them.
I made a bunch of friends on the trips, and saw some amazing sharks.

Date of experience: October 2014