“If in a pinch, will eat here again.”

Brazen BBQ Smokehouse & Bar
Ranked #960 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Barbecue
New York City, New York
“If in a pinch, will eat here again.”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Quality just okay, but thank g-d for the mac&cheese. Pretty good. My friend who had a meat dish said it was just okay.

Visited January 2012

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Worth the search”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

It takes a little searching to find as it doesn't have great signage, but it is definitely worth the search. Nice "bark" on the ribs and brisket and great flavor. Huge portions when you get a combo. Shredded pork was nice and juicy.

• Visited December 2011
Corona del Mar, CA
“Okay BBQ in Hillcrest”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I decided to give Brazen 4 stars (very good) rather than 3 (average), because it is better than average in my mind, but not quite very good. I decided to round up because I think as a new business, they deserve the benefit of the doubt,

I had a combo platter with pork ribs, beef brisket and sides of fries and coleslaw. I also had a completely unnecessary order of onion rings, the platter was plenty of food.

Comparisons to Phil's, San Diego's best known BBQ are going to be inevitable. So let's get that part out of the way. I think Phil's food is better, but Brazen's was okay too. So when I decide where to go to get BBQ next time the question is going to be, do I head down to Point Loma to wait 20 or 30 minutes or do I go to Brazen and get a seat pretty quickly. I can't yet say which way I will lean when that time comes. I still think the best BBQ in San Diego is over on Euclid Ave at either Huffman's or Jones Brothers Mississippi BBQ.

To the food itself. It was good, not knock your socks off, best dang BBQ this side of the Pecos good, but San Diego good. I would have liked some thicker smoke rings on the brisket and a bolder flavor on the ribs. I mean the place is named "Brazen" isn't it? Shouldn't the food be brash? A throw a drink in your face, kick you in the shin bold?

The most disappointing was the coleslaw, it was very plain and no flavor that jumped out. The biggest surprise was the onion rings and the dipping sauce that accompanied it. I would say it was mustard based and had that kick I was looking for in the rest of the food. I wish they had made the coleslaw using the dipping sauce.

The portions were good, I wound up taking home half the meal home. Oddly enough, I like the flavor of the brisket and the pork rib the next day, cold, better than hot the previous day. Go figure.

• Visited December 2011