“Find it and get a taste of Hawaii in SD!”
Review of Homestyle Hawaiian

Homestyle Hawaiian
Ranked #1,047 of 4,768 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Hawaiian
New York, NY
“Find it and get a taste of Hawaii in SD!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Kalbi is a must try! Enjoyed an excellent lunch with lava chicken combo, rice and macaroni salad. Casual and friendly.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank nycTravelGuy

San Diego, California
“Dole whip/Hawaiian plates”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This little hole in the wall place has some pretty good food. Kalbi ribs were tasty, my son had the loco moco which he liked. I think anything with gravy is good, I tried his hamgurger patty that was served with the loco moco and it was good. Potato salad which you can have as a choice side, I would recommend. Not as bland tasting as I have had at other Hawaiian restaurants.
Dole whip for dessert is refreshing if you have room! Disneyland was the only other place we
were able to find it until now.
Like I said, it is a hole in the wall in a very small center. Seating is maybe 8 people so don't expect much.
I know I have seen other reviews with complaints about service, not so with me. After all I do
realize I am not at Donovans!!!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank moto10
Springfield, Oregon
“Catered food and great service”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I planned a family reunion for 52 people and found this restaurant online. I live in Oregon and was nervous about finding caterers in California that would have great food, in good quantities at reasonable prices. This place was great! Mo spoke with me multiple times about the order and always reassured me they would have it ready on time and that I had ordered enough food. When we went to get the food, he helped carry the trays out and load up the car. When I gave him his $30 tip, he told me I didn't have to do that! Amazing. :) The food was so good! The Kalua pork was great, especially put on small rolls to make little sandwiches. Moist and flavorful. The teriyaki chicken was good too and the macaroni salad was excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone and if you need a large catering order, the price cannot be beat. We had a whole tray of the pork left (and that was after people had seconds). Thank goodness grandma was going to make tamales with it!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Nicole R
California
“Totally Disappointed”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We lived on Oahu for ten years... and have visited many, many times since.... so we are always looking for good local food. Last weekend we were in San Diego for a family reunion and one of our stops was at Homestyle Hawaiian. I should have realized from the outside... that the inside wouldn't be so good. The door was open ... no A/C and no fans....lots of flies. But we ordered.. or tried to. They had no Katsu chicken... so we ordered Korean chicken and teri beef. My niece attempted to order chili and rice... but they were out of chili. After our order was placed we went to get our drinks. The fountain soda machine was out of diet Coke syrup... we tried regular Coke and it was totally flat. We tried tea... but the 'brewed' tea was empty. We tried green tea, which was sugary, in fact syrupy sweet.... so we settled for flat Coke. Our food was delivered... and I'll say this in their favor. .. there was plenty of food. My niece found a long curly black hair in her rice... YUK, so she returned her dinner and was told it was her hair (she doesn't have black hair). The chicken was okay .... but the teri beef was so tough... it was more like beef jerky. The tempura fish that my sister ordered was awful, greasy and no seasoning. However the rice and mac salad were good. I truly hate to give bad reviews... but I can't say much good about this place... the food... the service.... all of it was pretty bad. Oh not to mention the girl who was taking orders... had on shorts that were so short as to border on indecent. My advice, is to visit at your own risk

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank -Pikake-too
San Diego, CA
“Strange, random hours, and steer clear of their beef.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I've eaten at Homestyle Hawaiian five times and am on their frequent dining email list so I can get coupons for their lemonades. However, I think the way they treat customers and how they run their business is selfish, rude, and downright customer unfriendly.

When they're actually open, try their lemonades, chicken dishes, and mac salad. Stay clear from the beef though. The times I've had beef dishes, the meat had a faint rancid scent and, while I did not get food poisoning, my stomach was unsettled and growly for the rest of the day. The kalbi are the skinniest, splintery pieces of kalbi I've ever had and they're more charred than beefy. The korean and lava chicken are delish. The pork is tasty but not oily, but does not make good leftovers as the pork dries out quickly. The moco is meh. The spam is, well, spam. The lemonade is made fresh and the flavors are amazing. The mac salad is very good for mainlanders (no, they're not from Hawaii). I grew up in Hawaii so I know my Hawaiian mac salad and plate lunches.

I caution you about the random hours because you might arrive during the posted business hours but the doors are locked and they won't open up the door for you; or you might be standing in line at the counter waiting to order then, once at the counter, be told that they've decided to close because they want to work on a catering order... well before the posted closing time. There were times when I was dining in and the owner, Mo, or his 10(?) year old daughter working the register told customers that they're closing right now because they need to prepare for a catering job which, sarcastically, would be fine if take your order then close but, instead, they let you stand there and won't take your order. Granted, catering business is good money but alienating or turning away customers who are onsite, waiting to do business with you is also money... money that you won't make now or in the future. I've been at Homestyle Hawaiian when Mo or his daughter have told people who are waiting in line that they're dealing with a flood of Groupon issues and don't want to take any more orders. Uncool. Just totally UNCOOL.

There are a lot of Hawaiian style food places in San Diego. Google will help you find the better ones. For food quality and customer service reasons, I cannot recommend Homestyle Hawaiian. You can take your chances and go to two-star Homestyle Hawaiian during their posted business hours... heaven forbid they've run a Groupon or scheduled to cater an event during your visit. To increase your chances, just catch them at a catered event.

• Visited July 2012