“Disappointed”

Staybridge Suites San Diego - Sorrento Mesa
Ranked #150 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is under renovations. This was not mentioned when we reserved or any place on website.
When we arrived we were told the room we reserved was not available. We arrived at checkin time and were told instead of the two bedroom suite we reserved we would haveto take two studios. This was very disappointing as we would not have stayed here As it was a little far from the things we wanted to enjoy in San Diego. we had looked for an accommodation with two bedrooms so that we could easily help with our grandchildren .instead we were in separate rooms and down the hall.
The breakfast was poor, all cold cereal, no toasters. There were eggs but they kept running out.
Staff was friendly which is the reason for 2 stars.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear lilyspal,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am delighted you found our staff friendly. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the renovations as well as your room accommodations and the breakfast. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in San Diego you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Case Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Waited about 40-50 minutes at the lobby without any other guest.
The room was not clean and pillows were not arranged stacked randomly without pillow cover. There was an issue with thermal controller. The temperature control of auto mode is not working. So I called front desk and lady came and explained the problem. At first time, she asked me use the room as is continuously. The new room does not have any TV remote controller at this time Not to mention about breakfast, that was one of the most bad breakfast. Most of time, there was something missing such as plate, food and so on. It was quite lower than average holiday inn hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank macboy72
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites San Diego - Sorrento Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear macboy72,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service and cleanliness. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice spacious rooms with kitchenette, refrigerator. They have laundry facilities (washing machine and dryers) for guests. The complimentary breakfast is average though and could be improved. Located about 15 miles from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at various hotels with suites since we have had children because we like to have two separate bedrooms. This was the smallest and most disappointing hotel yet. The "full kitchen" is a double burner electric top on the counter and no oven. There was a dishwasher and microwave with a full frig but the space was so small any substantial cooking would be impossible. The hotel was under renovation when we arrived, which we were not told of when we booked directly with the hotel so there was no pool and no hot breakfast. Most devastating for our kids who love to swim and after a week of eating the hotels "take and go" breakfast of cold cereal we were ready to get out of there.
They told us our room was already remodeled. I hope not because one of the seats at the table was completely broken and the TVs were ancient! The website says DVD players in all the rooms so I brought DVDs for my kids to watch. There were no DVD players. Housekeeping was even worse. The light daily cleaning of garbage, bed making and switching towels was often non-existent. We started putting the garbage once full in the hallway to be emptied and noticed many others doing that as well. We also started taking our own towels from the hotel carts because they never got refilled. With a 5 y/o and 2- 2y/os the floor got messy with food in the living room and kitchen but they only provide full room cleaning 1x/week and there isn't a broom or vacuum sweeper available for you to use yourself to clean. And that 1x/week clean never came for us, they said we were supposed to schedule that upon check-in but it was never mentioned to us at check-in. Since housekeeping is non-existent I would recommend bringing kitchen cleaner for the counters and table so you can keep it clean throughout your stay and a small travel broom. They do provide paper towels and dishwasher soap but I brought a couple tablets of my own and we ended up using them. They also provide dish soap and there are pots and a pan, some plates, cups and Pyrex containers. No strainer for spaghetti.
So overall, this hotel was like a basic 3 star hotel, nothing fancy, nothing fantastic. Located in an industrial area. One positive was a small complex next door to the hotel with various little eateries featuring different food, a grocery store, liquor store and hair/nail studio. We enjoyed this little area more than our hotel.
When traveling back to San Diego, we will definitely stay somewhere else, a little closer to all the fun and hopefully at a little nicer place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was no question a value and nice place to stay. My kids and I were comfortable and enjoyed the amenities. I would recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2012

3 items 5+, for Location (AT&T, Motorola, Qualcomm) ,SUPERIOR HELPFUL STAFF, and WOW WIFI - furthest room on the 4th floor and had 100% connectivity. For those of us who need it that in itself makes this hotel a great bargain. The breakfast was fine with a different mix of items every day. Evening "meals" are what you expect for "free". The rooms are OLD and need to be updated....which I was told will be happening starting 3/12/12....much needed compared to other "suite" hotels. Would like a jacuzzi to relax in but that is a "want" not a need. I utilized the shuttle to go back and forth to work (AT&T offices) and they were super!
"

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I travel to this area a few times a year for work and have stayed at a few different hotels. I will not be staying at this one again.

Bad: Dirty furniture and floors, see pictures. Loud gas station and busy street outside, love being woken up at 6 to honks and trucks backing up. Ancient zenith TVs with terrible picture and reception. Very little sunlight in the Mira Mesa-facing rooms. AWFUL mattress, my back hurt every morning. Old decor.

Good: Has a kitchen. Next to grocery store and food court. Free parking. Heated pool (no hot tub). Breakfast and snacks 5:30-7:30. Nice staff.

I was only here 2 nights, I'd be depressed if I had to stay here for a long term assignment. But if you do, ask for a room facing the pool or rear of the hotel. The front, facing Mira Mesa Blvd is so loud, dark, and crappy view.

My corporate rate was $199, which is way too much for this place . As a comparison, we pay the same as the Torrey Pines Hilton which is way nicer (you will pay $25 a day for parking at the dHilton). Or Drive a few extra miles to the Embassy Suites on La Jolla Village Drive if you don't need a kitchen.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room, facing rear of hotel or recreation area.