“Brilliant intimate venue!”
Review of Red Spade Theater

Red Spade Theater
Ranked #184 of 442 things to do in San Diego
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went to this small intimate venue to see Intimate Miracles by Sebastian and loved it. Cosy and personal with a high quality show. Friendly staff too.

1  Thank JHSimpson
There are newer reviews for Red Spade Theater

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Went here a while back and saw two guys perform. One guy was Doug Brewer I think the other was named Tom?

This was some of the best sleight of hand magic I have ever seen. I have been to the Magic Castle in Hollywood- and these guys were better than much of the magic I saw there. I later found out that Doug actually performs at the Magic Castle.

Not only was the magic great but the show was very entertaining. I haven't laughed like that in a long time.

I can't wait to go back. Maybe next time I will see one of the other performers.

This is a must see performance- even though the venue is slightly lack luster.

1  Thank NeverOddOrEven
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I took my 9 yr old daughter here on a mommy-daughter date night to see Sebastian do some magic. She loved it! The Old Town location was perfect for people-watching and getting dinner prior to the show. The venue was a small, uninspiring room that looked more suitable for a boring office presentation rather than a magic show but once the lights went off it was no big deal. Sebastian was great. He was funny, the tricks were impressive, and he heavily engaged the audience. By the end of the show I think everyone there (about 20) had participated in a trick or two. The magic was primarily card tricks and although I wasn't overly wowed, I was at least entertained and my daughter was thrilled. If you're a local and are bored with the usual come here and support local talent. It made for a thoroughly enjoyable, memorable, and quirky evening. Note: if you buy your tickets online through the Red Spade website you will get choice front row seats.

1  Thank Andie-and-Rob
Reviewed August 2, 2012

CaptainD4 may be right about the theater itself but the fact that you do get an intimate view of the show was awesome. I was even picked out of the crowd so I had a seriously up close opportunity to try and see how the trick was done but Sebastian is a sly dude. I'm still stumped about how he manage to pull off some of his tricks. It's right next to a wine bar which makes for a great segue prior to watching the show.

1  Thank anchi123
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The sleight of hand, mind games, and prop tricks are all wondrous. You will be amazed and confused by what you think you are seeing. These guys are some of the best illusionists I've ever seen.

BUT. This "theater" is little more than a small conference room with about 30 folding metal chairs. There is no raised platform or stage. There are no risers for audience seating. Therefore if you are not in the first row, you have to rely on the TV monitor so see what is going on. CCTV has about one second delay, making it a bit confusing when viewing the card tricks and other close-up magic. I felt I might as well be at home watching it on TV.

Overall I felt it was not worth the $20 ticket price, simply because the venue was so unsuitable. Some couples said they got in for $30 for the pair, so I supose you can find that deal somewhere online. If they could find a place more suitable to the performance or alter their existing venue, I would go again.

Not recommended for small children.

1  Thank CaptainD4