“Awesome Experience!!”

San Diego Whale Watch
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We were in Oceanside for a 2 week vacation from Kansas, and we took our 8 kids with SDWW to whale watch. Had an unbelievable time!!! Chris and his staff were so unbelievable. Made us feel like we were alone even though there were about 60-70 people on the boat, made everyone feel like that I'm sure. Had two different staff people walking around talking to people about the whales we were watching (we saw 3-4 that day) and answering questions. We had 60-75 dolphins with us for awhile as well. We followed the whales for over an hour and a half. Chris knows what he's doing, he grew up on the water, is docked 20 minutes from their path. This is the whale watching tour to go with!!!!

1  Thank Justin R

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had a Living Social voucher for San Diego Whale Watch, and went on the tour with our 2 girls, aged 3 and 8. We were a little worried it would be difficult with the kids, but it really wasn't and they enjoyed it as well (except it got a little long for them). We saw dolphins, a pod of seals swimming and a fin whale during or trip.
It was mid-December and about 60F when we went out, but it can still be super cold when you are on your way out and against the wind. Plan ahead and bring, warm clothes - pants, jacket and gloves for sure. We also brought hats and scarves and blankets for the kids. The blankets felt really good going out, and then once the day warmed up a bit more and the boat wasn't moving so fast we were able to take our jackets and warm gear off and be comfortable.
The day we went was very clear and calm, but we did take motion sickness pills in advance just in case, which I would recommend. There is a place you can go in to get out of the wind if needed, and you can purchase snacks, coffee, and hot dogs on the boat, although it is a little spendy. You can also bring your own onto the boat. The crew was great and the boat was clean and comfortable - plenty of room for everyone. The captain and naturalist worked very hard to find some wildlife for us, staying out a little longer to watch the fin whale. I highly recommend this attraction!

1  Thank Sunseekergirl77
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My husband and I went on the sunset holiday cruise around the bay. From the groupon advertisement we were expecting to see the Christmas lights and cruise around the bay. I just don't feel like either of those expectations were met. That said it was a nice and smooth ride and the sunset was beautiful, but; unfortunately, to early for Christmas lights. They gave you a drink coupon to get a hot coco or you could pay a few $$ extra for wine or beer. I paid $3 extra for about a 2oz cup of cheap wine. Not to happy about that should have stuck with the hot coco.

2  Thank Snowbear007
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Just returned home from a terrific weekend in San Diego. During our trip we decided to take a 3 hour Whale Watch Excursion with San Diego Whale Watch. Boy were we NOT disappointed. We found four Gray Whales and followed them until the Naturalist felt that they may be getting a little stressed our our time ran out. My husband and I thought the group of people on the boat were very friendly and helpful. One gentleman, at the end of the trip actually walked around asking everyone for their opinion and THANKING them for joining in that day's trip. Would we have like to have seen more whales - Absolutely, but we also know there is no guarantee. I would recommend. Please note you are on a bigger boat so there can be a lot of people on board..

2  Thank Fan1420
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

I booked this trip as a present for my partner who absolutely loves whales. We were very excited and expected to spend our time looking for whales. Instead we came across a pod of dolphins and spent the trip admiring them. Now don't get me wrong we love dolphins, who doesn't? But as surfers and boat crew we are lucky enough to see them lots when we're at sea. We wanted a whale watching trip.

Just after the tour we're now at the beach checking the surf and what can we see past the kelp? Whales. Shame we didn't go looking for them when we were on the boat.

1  Thank Skatemate5
Chris S, Public Relations Manager at San Diego Whale Watch, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Skatemate5,
We are so sad to hear that you only saw dolphins while you were out on your tour. The thing is that these mammals are so unpredictable, it drives us crazy :) We have been having good luck with seeing Gray Whales this past couple weeks but again you have to be at the right place at the right time.
We would love to have you aboard again so we would love to send you free passes for you and your partner so that you have another chance to see the whales. We would love to see aboard soon so please send us your mailing address so that we send those passes to you as soon as possible. Hope to hear from you soon

-Mayra