“Fantastic value for downtown!”

Quality Inn San Diego Downtown North
Ranked #195 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Somerset
“Fantastic value for downtown!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were slightly small but the wifi was incredible. The best I have ever had in a hotel, I downloaded so much video to watch on the plane!

The staff were friendly, everything was clean and it was only about 10 mins walk down the hill and you were in the heart of the Gaslamp district!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I don't give out "5". Ever. Ever, ever. And this is, if not the first one, then the first one to a budget motel, but this ABVI deserves it. If you only have 10 seconds to read this, read this: Stay here. If you have longer and want to know why, here it is:

This is an urban hotel in an incredibly desireable city, with few flaws, and at bargain rates. We stayed two nights this past weekend - when San Diego was basically sold out - and found it excellent. And that's from someone who enjoys places like the US Grant and the Del Coronado. by category, here's why:

The building: This is a 5 story hotel, with an immaculate elevator (rosewood panelling, yet) without the usual graffiti, rising from a basement (with a small exercise facility and business center, a lower courtyard, and the finest vending machines every to give you fresh sandwiches, ice cream, chips, candy, almost 20 kinds of soda and more!) to the top, rising from a delightfully flowered courtyard with benches opening off of the lobby. The building looks as if it was freshly painted last week - I understand it's been a couple years, which speaks well of the maintenance - and is spotlessly clean and in almost perfect condition. The lobby (slightly cramped) has another customer computer and staff that are invariably helpful and considerate and yes, Bobby blushes when you mention his "Trip Advisor" fame.

The Rooms: Rooms are small, yes, but almost in a boutique-hotel sense. The furnishings in ours (316, a handicapped room in the corner) were new, chic, and free of dust and dirt. A microwave (it didn't work at first; promptly replaced), a large dorm-type fridge and coffee maker (with decent coffee, even) made it a near-kitchen, next to the sink, with a granite counter of home quality. The bed, a queen (they don't have kings, I think because of room size) was comfortable (a bit soft) with three pillows, and a small desk and chair were very functional. WiFi worked, and so did everything else. The bathroom was spotless too (a little musty, I think from lack of use of that room), and shampoo, lotion and soap were all nice. Hot water was abundant.

Breakfast: A few snotty reviews I saw before reserving complained about this, and those people should get lives. This was the best "continental" breakfast I've ever seen. No, there weren't hot foods (duh; look up "continental breakfast," folks!), but excellent FRESH bagels (at least 4 kinds!), good packaged sweet rolls (my wife hates these things...but LOVED the ones here!), oatmeal, oatmeal bars, "tiger bars," juice boxes (wish they had orange, though), EXCELLENT coffee, and even three kinds of creamer, in a nice breakfast room that even had daily papers.

Complaints about noise are foolish; like much of downtown San Diego, this hotel is smack dab beneath the approach to SAN Airport. So yes, during the day there is a lot of flight noise. It's gone at night. Yes, the rooms lack much of a view; and ours faced a wall. That's true of the US Grant, too, at $300 a night; if you want a view, plan to pay for it or get a life and leave your room. The neighborhood? As safe as home, with as many (and no more) homeless people as any other part of California. We chatted with a couple of them at the wonderful Taco El Rey taco stand around the corner, and I hate to tell you, folks but they're nice people, sometimes nicer than picky hotel guests. More neighborhood? The ABVI is 2 blocks from Balboa Park, and it took us only a delightful 20 minute walk to be at the Art Museaum complex. Dinner in Gaslamp? Walk out of the hotel, turn right, walk 50 yards and cross the street, and you're at a bus line that arrives about every 20 minutes...on time, right into the center of Gaslamp, the Harbor, and more. More good stuff? When we checked out, Bobby stored our (and many others') luggage for a few hours in a storage locker behind the front desk. That's hotel service you only see at the "bigs".

There are a few small things that would be nice to see here: Milk in the breakfast room, and cream cheese to go with the bagels instead of only butter, and OJ as well. Perhaps a small guest laundry, too. But that's it.

I've stayed at hotels in LA that were comparable to this (including being underneath landing planes) and paid double the price, and I've paid a lot more in San Diego and gotten a lot less. My wife looked at me as we were leaving and said, "This is really a small boutique hotel," and she was right. We'll be back.

Yeah, a five. I hate to do that. But I can't not.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with this hotel and it's staff, and would not recommend staying here. The day we arrived (after a long flight from the UK), we went to check in only to be told that our reservation had been cancelled. They only had a double room left and we had booked a twin, so I had to share a bed with my friend. We also had to move to a different room for the second night.
When we checked out and left the hotel, I realised I'd left two items of clothing in the wardrobe by mistake. We called them the same day to ask them to find the clothes so we could go back and collect them, but were passed around and fobbed off for 4 days, calling them every day and eventually asking to speak to the manager. My clothes were never logged in the room, therefore the only explanation is that a member of the cleaning staff stole them. On our last day in San Diego, we eventually got through to the manager, who agreed to credit the amount for the clothes ($60) onto the credit card I'd paid for the room with. However, he never did this which means this was a complete lie to get us off the phone.

Very unhappy with the service!
Also ridiculously noisy. You can definitely find somewhere better and more HONEST to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank RachelFoskett
NEALSINGH, General Manager at Quality Inn San Diego Downtown North, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. As promised, a credit of $60/- have been issued to you on your credit card. Please contact us @GM.westparkinn@Gmail.com, if we can be further assistance in any way. We do value your opinion and are sorry for the delay in issuing the credit. Thank you for being our Guest at Americas best Value Inn. It is greatly appreciated. Kindest regards.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Ventura, California, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I recently had occasion to stay at this hotel and was happy to see it matched the online description in appearance & value. I booked my reservation online with a third party agency and, unfortunately, the reservation did not go through. I was unaware of this until I arrived to check in. The Front Desk Manager, Bobby Scott, was very helpful is assisting me, not only in attempting to track down my reservation, but in making it possible to stay in the hotel at all. I appreciated his efforts and tolerance of my confusing situation. He even came outside to point out the best free parking! I wanted to be sure he got recognition for his customer service skills that often go unappreciated in such positions. Thank you Bobby!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jessica J
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very helpful staff, especially Alex (hope I remembered your name correctly). The rooms aren't large, but they are nice, clean, and the well-planted courtyard with fountain (really liked this) allows you to relax in a relatively private space. The vending machine area is also a plus, because the standard "sodas and candy" aren't all they contain; you can get sandwiches, and microwaveable dinner items, as well as ice cream 24/7.
A very reasonable weekly rate is also offered with minimal deposit (around a hundred bucks)!
The location, Banker's Hill, can't be beat, as the airport is (a little too) close by, and you are just up the hill on the outskirts of the Gaslamp Historic district, where all the action is and therefore still within walking distance of the convention center.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WrldTrvlr007
conwy
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Only there 4 nights and glad to leave, room was ok and staff were pleasant and helpful but other guests left a lot to be desired, 3 cop cars on the first night 2 on the last both times there to question guests outside in the parking lot. Went outside on to covered walkway to have a smoke and each time was approached by occupant of next room asking for cigarettes or any spare change I had "for the machine" , not done in a threatening way but not what you expect or want while stood in an isolated area !

Room Tip: Ask for one near reception where it is well lit not down at the back facing dark shrubs and freeway...