“Could have not been better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #144 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Calgary
“Could have not been better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I flew in from Canada to San Diego to see a concert. The ocean beach was booked for us as I won trip on the radio. We checked in and the guy at the front for check in was awesome. I wish I could remember his name, black glasses and black and grey hear! Cool and nice guy. Rooms are very clean, A little small but nice and cozy, we had a balcony queen room view room and wow, couldn't ask for anything better! Service, staff and grounds are awesome.

Room Tip: Balcony always adds for a nice time, even if your on it for 5 minutes you always will have that opti...
3 Thank worldparrot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I agree with the recent reviews, this is a really great place to stay. Its Ocean Beach! That means funky, noisy on the weekends, lots of surfers, etc. And cheaper than PB or La Jolla. Our room was one with a view, and it was beautiful. Also, we found the staff are kind and helpful, they had parking behind the hotel, and the interior courtyard was lovely.

Room Tip: Beach views are lovely. Accept that you will need to sleep with windows closed on weekends if you do...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank emmy_7
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I read a lot of the reviews on this hotel, and honestly I became a little worried. However, we were really pleased with our stay and we didn't notice a sign (see other reviews). Anyway, most of the reviews are accurate but let me rundown the pro's and cons.

PROs
1) Location, location, location - enjoy beautiful sunsets from your room, it sits just across from the surfing area for the beach, and it is lovely. Also, it's on the strip of newport ave which is full of shops, bars and restaurants for easy dining and fun.
2) Friendly hotel staff, - they were all really nice, accommodating and pleasant.
3) Clean - everything was clean and in order, overall very nice.
4) Patio / Balcony - I think each room had one of these, but ours was spectacular.

Cons
1) Thin walls - you could pretty much hear everyone around you at all times. Annoying but not a deal breaker for us
2) Outside noise - there were planes flying overhead about every 30 mins during the day, but high enough as to not be really more than a conversation interruption. Also, there are hippies, they like singing and playing guitar, I found it a comical serenade rather than a bother.
3) Small Rooms - for us it wasn't a problem, but think European style hotel rooms. If you're trying to squeeze a family of four into a room, good luck but you might end up killing eachother. For us as a couple, it was more than fine.

I recommend for couples, young people (or young at heart) and others looking to spend a little time in the room, but enjoy the scenery instead.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jared J
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

You couldn't ask for a better location. And did I mention the view. Especially every morning watching the sunrise over the ocean from the balcony. Amazing! They also had an amazing beautiful lit courtyard that overlooked the beach as well. There were small restaurants and vintage shops all within walking distance. We were definitely not at the hotel much since we did a lot of sight seeing but overall the bed was comfortable, shower worked fine and A/C unit was perfect.

Room Tip: Balcony view of the ocean. This would be the only reason to stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kris A
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

I read the many reviews of this hotel, did my homework and it was what I expected. Our room was clean, great maid service every day. You're not gonna get a Marriott 5 star hotel but then again they don't advertise as such. Smack dab on the beach in the heart of the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego, everything you need is right there, clubs, restaurants, beach shops, rentals, bars. The neighborhood has a good vibe, if you're looking for the neon blandness of the suuburbs, ain't gonna find it here. We had no problems with this being an older hotel, like I said I read the reviews and I could quickly filter out the sour grapes from the genuine reviewers. I went with the genuine ones and they proved to be the more accurate ones. We went to San Diego for surf, sun and sand and the OB hotel fit our needs perfectly, I would and will definitely stay again. My only one disappointment? The Woody wasn't there as it was in a car show somewhere in California, we'll just have to catch it next time I guess.

Paul H.

3 Thank schemphoward
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Great location, but not exactly what we expected for $200 a night. We had our dogs with us so we had to stay in a first floor courtyard room. It was the smallest room I ever stayed in and I have traveled around the country. You had to turn to the side to get around the bed to go to the bathroom. The bathroom had a pedestal sink with no vanity. I had nowhere to put all my toiletries and I have a lot, haha. The toilet was right up against the sink so you had to sit on the side or have your face in the sink. Came back to the room the first night to a flood. The freezer defrosted and leaked water all over. Don’t know how there could have been so much water. There were no drapes, only blinds on the window. It had some broken slats, so people were likely able to see in. There was no getting romantic for fear of people looking in.

Our room was right next to the door out of the courtyard so there was loud slamming going on till late into the night. The courtyard was very nice and it’s in walking distance to lots of restaurants and shops. Lots of homeless people all around, but none of them were begging.

The area was not as pet friendly as we were led to believe. I knew they couldn’t go on the beach in that area but also between 9-6 they could not be in the walkways or even the parking lot, as all the signs stated. After a 6 hour drive we wanted to go for a long walk and were very disappointed we had to wait a few hours. Did not want to let the dogs go potty in the courtyard but had no choice. We walked over to the pier later on and a big sign said" no dogs anytime". Very limited restaurants were pet friendly.

2 Thank AbbieRose702
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently stayed at Ocean Beach Hotel 7/11-7/14. This was my first trip ever to the Ocean Beach area and I was excited about staying here. I did read reviews on various sites, so I knew going in that the hotel was older. I honestly had no problems with this as I felt the room size and bathrooms were fine. I honestly was more excited about the fact that the hotel was across the street from the beach.

We arrived really early, so we opted to grab lunch, but we decided to notify the desk we were there in the event that we needed to move our car. We were greeted warmly at the desk by an older gentleman who informed us that we would be able to check in early. We grabbed lunch next door at Shades Bistro and came back about an hour later and hung out in the gorgeous courtyard until our room was ready. Around 2PM I checked to see if the room was available as everyone was exhausted from the 7 hour drive to the area. Luckily it was, and we were permitted to check in an hour before scheduled check in.

Our stay that first day went well until our upstairs neighbor decided to walk around in flip flops until almost 3:30 AM. At one point, it seemed like they were stomping across the floor. My husband got up to notify the desk, but the stomping stopped so he went back to bed.
The next morning on our way to grab coffee, we stopped at the desk just to notify them of the noise. The woman at desk (whom may have been Esther based on previous reviews) became rather accusatory and rather than listen to what we had to say proceeded to argue that we should have notified the desk immediately. She wasn't listening to the fact that we were just informing them,not asking her to rush up to the 3rd floor at that exact moment. However she said she'd put a note in the system. (I don't think she did as our neighbors were just as loud that night)

Sunday we spent some time at the beach, the cleaning crew was quick in cleaning our room, but they took all of the toiletries with them leaving us with just barely enough soap for one day. Luckily we were checking out the next morning. They also dropped a towel in the pathway outside our door where it sat all day until we picked it up the next morning.

If you can handle thin walls, and noise from the street below (which was entertaining to say the least) then Ocean Beach Hotel is a great place to stay for the price. Be prepared for sometimes less than courteous behavior at the desk.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the third floor if you don't have a pet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family