“Fantastic ocean front hotel, affordable!”
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #140 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Fantastic ocean front hotel, affordable!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Owned by the locals in OB,'this hotel is well taken care of, and most important, it's very affordable compared to all the other options for ocean front in the area. Plenty of restaurants nearby, make sure you try an Acai yogurt cup- it's the best meal/ breakfast food I had there. Front desk people are super nice too!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank johannaa704
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
RIGHT ON! 5 Star review! We strive for 5 stars so thank you for the fantastic review, Johanna A!

This is a great review as it mentions some of the things that we value most as a business. Yes, we are family owned and operated - when you are talking to the front desk or the gardeners you are also talking to the owners. So we take feedback and customer service very seriously. We want you to have the best beach vacation possible at an affordable price! That is why we have our low price guarantee - if you find a comparable hotel that is ocean front and has the same amenities for a lower price, let us know and we will match that price!

And you found out one of the best local secrets in OB - the Acai bowl at OB Smoothie! Such an amazing meal/treat/healthy breakfast!

Thanks again for your fantastic review and we can't wait to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
Nipawin, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place. The location is outstanding...across the street from the beach and pier and in the centre of ocean beach restaurants and shops. The rooms are small but very clean and have a funky, beach hut feel. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. There is free parking. The value can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2014
Lyman, South Carolina
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Rooms are basic, but beds are comfortable. Bathroom was small, but not too bad. Ocean and pier is within steps of the hotel, lots of shops and restaurants near by. Seems police is always present but I guess that is a good thing. There are some homeless people that seem to camp out near the pier but did not seem to bother anyone. Over all cute place with very friendly staff, stayed two nights, not too bad for the price. Happy travels!!

Room Tip: We had a corner room with no view, seemed quieter.. Keep in mind there is no elevator.
1 Thank 821tamyv
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've stayed here twice: a weekend in Sept. 2013 and a weekend in May 2014. It's a funky little motel that fits right into the Ocean Beach vibe--kinda cheap, cheesy, and fun. This hotel is RIGHT on the beach, and it has a fabulous courtyard. The prices are extremely reasonable for an ocean-front hotel, but it is a motel--thin walls, tiny bathrooms, odd furniture selection and placement. But I'm in love with this place; it couldn't be better located if you want to explore the hippy funky "Haight/Ashbury" style neighborhood of Ocean Beach. There are restaurants and coffee shops and tchotchke shops and head shops all up and down the surrounding streets.

I booked four rooms for my family to stay in for my daughter's college graduation in May 2014. The staff is great, and let me tell you how great: I went in to ask the guy at the front desk for change for the vending machines, and I jokingly asked him, since I was asking him for things, if I could also have the unopened box of Godiva chocolates that were sitting on the desk. He gave it to me! I said I was just kidding, I was just being silly, and he insisted that I take them. I walked away with a box of chocolates that was probably worth $30! They also gave us armloads of extra towels, a corkscrew to keep, and whatever else we asked for while we were there.

Also, the Wonderbar Ocean Pub is right next door and has the best sunset view around. We held a cocktail and appetizer reception there for our graduate, and they were wonderful to work with, the food was great, and you can't beat the view, it looks right out over the ocean. Love Ocean Beach!

Note that the Ocean Beach area is very lively and noisy on Friday and Saturday nights. There's a very popular bar right across the street, and the patrons sound like they are having a blast. Well into the wee hours of the morning. This is a party area of town, just know that going in. I've learned to keep the fan/AC on all night to block out the noise in hotels like this.

Room Tip: I highly recommend that you splurge and get one of the oceanfront, ocean view rooms. They don't...
3 Thank ljweez
Shifnal, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The title says it all, great location, unfortunately we got a small Courtyard room on the third floor that was in need of some TLC as well as a new bathroom. This
was reflected in the discount we received on check-out

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank woodcol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at Ocean Beach Hotel for our honeymoon and it was the perfect place for us. The room was a little tight, but the location and views were awesome! The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and the courtyard is really cool. Parking is free for hotel guests & we never had an issue finding a spot. There are plenty of places to eat, drink, and shop in the area. I would walk over to Jungle Java for coffee every morning, but they do have free coffee in the lobby. The ice machine was broken during our stay, but they knew it and bought bags of ice to provide if needed. I don't have anything negative to say about this place - great price and location! We will DEFINITELY be back soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan M
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I am leaving this review for the staff of the OB Hotel. They are professional, helpful, friendly and kind. I have no complaints about the staff. The woman, whose name I failed to get (sorry) who worked last Friday night was AMAZINGLY helpful and patient. Steve was great, too.

The walls of our room were fairly transparent, but the woman was helpful in moving us to a quieter room. The accommodations are very very basic, but fine. Though I think way too expensive for what you get.

I cannot recommend the area for families, however, as in my estimation the scene was quite "ugly." Never mind that you pay top dollar for a room w/a view and balcony, but your vista includes the homeless kids sleeping across the street and all manner of drunk, crazy and poorly behaving people. We were there on a very hot Friday and the streets were incredibly loud with people "cruising" in motorcycles and loud trucks--endlessly. The shops and restaurants along Newport sell mostly cheap tourist junk and cater to folks who want to get drunk. The Joint was great, however, as was Nati's, which was a block or two off of Newport.

1 Thank 63kar777