“ocean bliss”
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #149 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The recent reviews pretty much sum up my feelings. We stayed in the "suite" overlooking the ocean and what a treat to open the French doors in the morning and lie in bed staring at the ocean and listening to the waves. We brought our bikes (they have a secure place to store them) and rode along Sunset Cliffs to the south and then north into Pacific Beach, heavenly. My only complaint with the room was the teeny tiny bathroom. I realize it is hard in these old properties to increase the size of the bathrooms without a major overhaul, but women, be warned, not an easy place to get ready for a night out! Or even to get ready for a bike ride. Otherwise, nice funky ambiance and friendly, helpful staff. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't select a room overlooking the ocean it kind of misses the point of staying here. Th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you, Wendy, for the fabulous review! I gotta agree with you on all fronts - there is no better way to fall asleep then to the ocean breeze and the sound of the crashing waves from the King Suites.

Very nice to hear you brought the bikes along and were able to enjoy the different bike baths around OB - there's some great ones going both north and south and it looks like you found them! Yep, I also agree with you that the bathrooms are small - I desperately wish we could alter that and we are trying by adding new shelving and rearranging the design of the room but when push comes to shove they are still small beach hotel bathrooms.

Thank you again for the great review and hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Ocean Beach Hotel

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I like this place. Its not deluxe accommodations. It is a budget hotel. Location is right across the street from the beach. It is very clean and has a really cute courtyard with a fountain and tables to enjoy. It is also extremely dog friendly. Its 6 blocks away from a great dog beach. It also doesn't charge a pet fee or parking fee. All that being said, it is a VERY funky area. This area wouldn't appeal to everybody. So know what you are getting into. If street people bother you you will not like this area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank schnauzermomluv
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We flew in from Reno for a long weekend getaway. We stayed here and had an absolute blast. This was the best location. We were able to walk around and not get in a cab for 3 days! Great bars, little shops and restaurants. Not to mention gorgeous ocean views and super friendly people. The room was all that we needed. Bathroom was clean and bed was comfy. We stayed on the 3rd floor, only downside was struggling with all our big bags up 3 flights of stairs. Other than that, we felt safe and secure. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mummaL
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Listen, don't compare this place to the Marriott or where you would choose to stay in Hawaii. If that's what your going for, check out La Jolla. OB is rustic, historic, surfer town charm! It's chill with a cool vibe. That said, this hotel is a bit more of a motel, what it once was. The price is a bit steep in my opinion, but I assume we are paying for the location. However, I once lived in and still love OB. So, I loved my little room on the third floor with ocean view. I bought candles and vases from the dollar store, flowers from the farmers market and placed them around the room and balcony. I opened my front and balcony door in the day for light and breeze. Rooms are different from one another though. I like I had 306 ( corner room). Looked like a little charming studio. Simple and sweet. But again, I love OB. If your from Santa Cruz, you'll dig it.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Summermittens
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed there last week for a family wedding in which the bride wanted us all in one hotel. She didn't look at the room personally. She should have. Our room had a fabulous view of the beach but that was all it had going for it.
Area around hotel was dirty, hippy type of town with homeless people all around the hotel and sleeping on the beach day and night. Police were in the area alot.
Hotel was dirty. Our bathroom was so bad I took a shower with my flip flops on. Broken tiles, peeling paint, no stopper in the drain (cap for toothpaste went in and went straight down).
Wall very thin, could hear neighbors kids at 6 AM and then mom yelling at them for another hour. Street noise was all night long along with the barking dogs in the hotel and on the street. And the planes went over starting promptly at 6 AM and sounded like they were going to scrap the roof they were so low and loud.
Big portable A/C unit sitting on the floor on one side of the bed and took up most of the room on that side of the bed. Nice big sliding window but no screen, so that some one could have literally reached in an touched my husband while we were in bed. And have you ever stayed in a hotel that didn't even have a box of tissues in the room? I discoved that I had 4 sheets of toilet paper at 6:30 in the morning and there was no back up roll and no tissues. Luckily my husband ran down to the desk and someone was there to give him a roll. I was not happy to say the least!
So needless to say we will not be back to that hotel and didn't even like the area. The pier was great and the walk down to the dog beach was fun, but nothing about Ocean Beach or this hotel will be calling us back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sue H
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here three nights last weekend, our Godson and his partner were married in San Diego. They booked two suites for a week, and one courtyard view room for a week also. We only had a garden view room also, but sadly only for three nights.

The owner and staff are wonderful folks who make you feel welcome and at home. This is a well maintained older Classic California Hotel. Due to the age the rooms are not the largest on the coast but are updated well, appointed and all rooms seemed to have a small fridge and microwave for reheating those left overs from one of the many good eating places right outside the door. Speaking of right outside the door, is the Beach and Ocean, just cross the street. Most rooms have a view of the longest concrete pier in Southern CA. Sunsets are awesome....plan on viewing them each night of your stay.
Although we didn't have our dog, I have never seen a more pet friendly place. The rooms have tile or laminate floors, so tracked in sand and a occasional "oops" is not a problem.

I will visit this place again, I know it will feel as comfortable and welcoming as it did the first time.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper ask for a room across the courtyard from Newport street. Ocean Beach is a city wh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I just finished an off-season 'staycation' a few miles away at the Ocean Beach Hotel. What fun! Forget dumping your money down the endless dollar hole at Vegas for a 'few days' away. Just get a room at the Ocean Beach Hotel with a view of the water and put your feet up. Fifty feet from the sand and right around the corner from the Newport Ave night life, this is the place to enjoy the funky vibe of Ocean Beach...everything is walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean or Newport. There are courtyard dog-friendly rooms too.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple