Ocean Beach Hotel
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$181
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$262
$169
$662
$599
Fairmont.com
Excellent 5/5
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$172
Very Good 4/5
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$345
$219
$183
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$213
$159
Great 4.5/5
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$310
$290
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsob hoteldog beachnewport avewithin walking distancerooms are smallfarmers marketthird floorrestaurants and barsocean frontdirectly across the streetgreat roomthe san diego areala jollasurfersbumspetsmicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Last minute decision to drive to San Diego for the holiday weekend. With not much to select from and wanting to stay on the beach on a budget, this was all that had availability. Friendly office staff when checking in and free parking. Shower was hot, bed was clean and comfortable. We had a somewhat portable standing A/C unit that did a pretty good job. We were thankful for the sound it made to block out the outside noise. Hotel has a nice courtyard, but strong urine odor (? dog friendly/bums). Walking distance to restaurants, bars and beach (awesome dog beach). Lots of homeless - young and old that hang around and across from hotel. While none of them bothered us, I did feel uncomfortable walking by them when we explored the rocky beach area.Very obvious a few were on drugs or openly partaking. We arrived July 5 to find thousands of marshmellows (July 4 tradition) on the streets, sidewalks and on the beach.City does a poor job of cleaning up and it was difficult to walk in the sticky mess. We will not stay here again, but not necessarily because of the hotel, but the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Hi Carol - thanks for writing your review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel itself. Thank you for mentioning the friendly staff - I'll pass your review on to them and we will have the maintenance staff look into any problems with our courtyard. I encourage you to always let the front desk staff know of any issues so that we can amend them immediately.

As for the surrounding area - I apologize that you did not feel comfortable here. I'd like you to know that the marshmallow extravaganza aftermath has been thoroughly cleaned and I'm sorry that it took the city so long to get to that. They lagged for a day but on July 6th a full power washing unit along with street sweepers turned the streets, the beach and sidewalks back to their normal, clean appearance.

Unfortunately, homelessness is an issue in many southern California beach communities. Ocean Beach works very hard to find homes for people on the street and our hotel is very active in helping alleviate the situation for all of San Diego. OB is considered one of the safest communities in all of San Diego and has a wonderful family appeal - I'm sorry you didn't get to see that side of OB. I will be passing your review along to community leaders so that all issues are addressed.

Thank you again for your review and I hope that you give us another chance. Please don't hesitate to give us a ring at the hotel to discuss any issues further.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I agree with several of the postings about this hotel on several concerns. It is overpriced for a 2star-level hotel. Our room was tiny. The website said recently renovated rooms. Ours was not and I have the pictures to prove it. There was also a constant distasteful odor. The walls are paper thin and we could hear conversations from the rooms on either side of ours. They did have free on property parking. If you plan on being at the beach all day, the beach is right across the street. That incident on the street described by another reviewer really did happen and not just once while we were there. There seems to be a lot of vagrants in the area around the hotel. I was sitting on the wall waiting for my husband, looking at the ocean and texting on my phone, when a vagrant came really close to me &waved some sea creature in my face. Scared the living daylights out of me. I would not return there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank roslin c
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great location, overpriced. Portable AC unit never worked. Front desk said they would fix it, or drain it, but they never did. If you kept the deck door closed due to the noise outside, the room got hot. Maids did not replace toiletries, we never had 4 towels even though we had 4 in the room. Doubt if we would
return.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank hondo17
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I think this hotel is perfect if you are looking for a 2 star hotel with few amenities that is close to the ocean for surfing, boogie boarding, etc. It isn't everyone's cup of tea. And the truth be told in different circumstances I would have stayed that and been happy with it. But alas, the circumstances weren't right. On this particular occasion I was traveling as a mom by herself with 2, 16 year old girls. We pulled in and a cop was arresting someone across the street. The room was so-so clean. A good solid attempt had been made for the most part. The bathroom had a lot of floor dirt. I didn't see any sign of mold. There was a fridge and microwave. The rooms are small and there is no tub, just a shower. There is no pool either, although the ocean is right across the street. I didn't stay. I went downstairs and checked out. They were very understanding and gave no fuss after I simply said it wouldn't work for us. As they were sold out I am very hopeful they were able to rent the room. If my husband had been with me, we might have stayed if we'd had a suite. If it had just been the two of us, no question, we'd have stayed and enjoyed it. Part of it was my error because the trip advisor rating wasn't consistent with the star rating of the hotel. I don't hesitate to recommend staying at this hotel if the ocean is what you are there for. The staff was wonderful, very welcoming, nice and the hotel itself has a certain vibe that is very appealing. It certainly isn't their fault it wasn't a good fit for me.

Room Tip: Note, there isn't an elevator and I would chose a room away from stairways and the street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ginKetchikan
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My sister and I went to SD recently and stayed at the OB hotel because it was nicely located on the beach and very reasonably priced. We had an amazing time, mostly due to this hotel's convenience. The hotel was closer to the beach than the public restrooms. The courtyard is gorgeous. The staff was very friendly and helpful, calling us cabs when needed and even providing advil one day when I had a headache. The hotel is an older building with smaller rooms but this was perfect for the two of us. Coffee is provided in the lobby and we even caught the owner one morning in Woody, his wonderfully restored De Soto. I would highly recommend this hotel to a group of laidback college friends or an older couple. I know we will be staying here again in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends