“Great location, run-down/dirty hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #143 of 283 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great location, run-down/dirty hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is in a fun location-- lots to see within walking distance and right across the street from the beach. BE WARNED though-- the room photos on the hotel's website are deceptive... our room was dirty and run-down (mold in bathroom, beat up furniture missing parts, old/dirty bed linens, etc). If properly renovated and cared for this hotel could be a gem... it's too bad that's not the case.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cyberjmep
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Ouch! Well, I'm glad you liked the location and thank you for the review - we take all feedback extremely seriously and I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If there is anything wrong with a room, please let our front desk staff know so that we can remedy the problem - we may have been able to give you an upgrade while we researched any problems with the room and fixed them.

The issues that you listed are absolutely unacceptable and are not things that are tolerated at our hotel. I will bring them to the attention of our entire staff and to our service vendors. I'm curious if you called the front desk to notify them of the situations so that we could inspect the problem. We monitor our rooms on a daily basis, receive top marks in cleanliness which is the #1 priority of any nice hotel, employ a fantastic maintenance team, and work with one of the top linen vendors in San Diego with a maid/management staff that closely monitors any issues. If we are notified of furniture not working properly, we either fix it immediately or replace it if we can't. As a small family owned and operated business, we go to great lengths to make this a gem and are very sorry you did not get that impression.

I hope that you will give us another chance, and if you do, any one of our front desk staff will be able to give you a tour of several room types so that you can not only enjoy the beach but enjoy your room as well. Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We went for a friend's birthday, recommended by another friend so we all stayed because of affordability and location. Literally walk across the street and you are at the beach. My husband upgraded to a suite that overlooked the ocean, just beautiful. The only problem was the service... We were in our room and everyone was having beers getting a little tipsy while we waited for others it was 2pm but I understand we were getting a little loud and asked to keep it down which we did and then left for the day and night. My husband and I came back to go to bed and at 10:30pm we get a phone call from the front desk saying if we get another complaint they will ask us to leave. I was so confused being woken up from sleep and told them we weren't making any noise and they tried to tell me it was from earlier. I was not happy that they were threatening to kick us out from something that happened 8 hours earlier. Otherwise everything was good in the room, big comfy bed, flat screen tv, fridge/freezer, microwave, couch, table, etc.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NalaLasVegas
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

There's no doubt the room was small, but there's a bed, a TV, a small table to eat at and a bathroom. All you need.

Bed was nice, it was a relief after the awful bed I had in my last hotel. We slept great. Area is just the best, we had a great time down there. There was a street market on Wednesday night, lots of people and fun things to do and see (and eat).

Service people were fine, they answered the few questions I had.

Location is what makes this place. You can walk out and be on the people in 60 seconds. Beach area is great, lots of legit surfers and kids. We were on the beach walking every night.

I would go again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toolsy
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the fantastic review! Yes, you are correct - when the building was originally built they made the rooms on the smaller side. We do our very best with space management to make them very enjoyable beach front rooms. In the future, if you prefer more spacious rooms, try our remodeled Ocean View Condo 2 Queen with an expansive deck or the King sized bed rooms - they have an expanded sitting area. But when it all boils down - you got it right on - all the essentials are there and the beach is right out front!

So happy that you were able to enjoy so much of what Ocean Beach has to offer like walks along the beach, the delicious local restaurants, and the famous Farmers Market on Wednesday nights. I'm also very happy to hear that you received the top-notch customer service that we strive for.

We can't wait to see you again on your next visit! Thank you again for the review and hope to see you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a great staff, the rooms were very comfortable and with it located right on the beach nobody could beat the value of our stay. So many good dining choices for any meal within walking distances as well as night life and entertainment. Plenty of nearby shopping. 10 minute cab ride from the airport and 20 to the San Diego Zoo. One of the most valuable vacations I've planned.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank digger4life
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Digger4life - you rock! Thank you so much for the awesome review! Being a small boutique hotel, we take a great deal of pride in providing exceptional customer service for each of our guests. I'm happy to hear that we achieved that with your stay. We also feel it important to keep rates as affordable as possible and it's great to hear that you found the value in being beach front, within walking distance of tons of shopping/restaurants, and in a centralized location in San Diego so that it's easy to get to the Zoo and SeaWorld. How neat is the SD Zoo by the way? I've grown up in San Diego, probably have gone hundreds of times, and still remain a season pass holder because that place is just amazing.

Thank you again for your review - we truly appreciate it - and can't wait to see you again soon!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am torn in writing this review as the hotel itself was nice but the area surrounding it isn't. My thoughts on staying here are this
- If you are with adults then you are fine and, given the number of bars you could have a lot of fun.
- If you are with your kids, I would not recommend this hotel due to the location.

Nearly all the place to eat near the hotel are 21 or older to get in. My daughter and I were spending 5 days in San Diego and I picked this hotel for our first night stay. We got in late and attempted to get food once we got to the hotel but every place we tried was 21 or older to get in and there were a lot of drunk and homeless people about.

The hotel itself was clean, the front desk was friendly, and the view of the ocean in the morning was very nice. The one negative part of the hotel was the noise. During the night there was a lot of noise amplified by the center square and the airplane noise was loud starting at 6:00ish a.m. in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shad2s
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the review! I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel but disappointed that you got that impression of Ocean Beach. Sounds to me that our front desk did not give you recommendations for places to eat with kids. Some of my favorite family friendly places to eat are Shades Ocean Front Bistro, Hodad's, Raglan Public House, Nati's, Ortega's, Newbreak Café, Nico's, okay I'll stop there but there are about 10 more. If you got in really late, some of those may have been closed but most stay open until at least 10pm.

Most people tell me that Ocean Beach is an awesome place to bring the family to the beach. The beach directly out front of the hotel does not allow alcohol which allows families to come down and enjoy a day at the beach that isn't overwhelmed by partying. I think if you gave us another chance and arrived a little earlier in the day to enjoy all there is in OB, you may have a different opinion of the area. That being said, I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel for the most part but I apologize that you did not completely enjoy your stay. I hope you give us another chance and, if you do, make sure to get a few recommendations from the front desk as we love to help out with places to eat and see in town.
san diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We live in San Diego and got a good deal for a one night stay at the Ocean Beach Hotel. The location is great and Steve and Esther were helpful in recommending places to eat. The room was small but it had everything we needed including a small refrigerator and microwave. There are so many good places to eat. We loved our walk on the OB Pier and just people watching. The weather was perfect and we saw many people surfing with waves around 5 feet or more. We will definitely recommend this hotel to those who like to be near the beach and enjoy a value hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third floor. No elevator
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the review! Sweet - gotta love staycations! Really happy to hear that you found a good deal and that the front desk was helpful. We strive for 5-star customer service and recommending some of the fantastic places to eat in town is fun for us. The pier is an awesome place to go for a walk - even on the pier there is a great place to eat - the OB Pier Café.

It's still 68 degrees and sunny which is making spring break a really good time for many visitors. And the waves that you mentioned are still pumping - I would say head to shoulder high right now out front of the hotel.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was perfect for what we needed. The view is beautiful and the strip has so many interesting shops. It is fairly easy to walk to sunset cliffs from here as well. A few minor downsides: as other reviewers have noted, the wifi signal is pretty weak-we could email or use facebook, but not Skype; also, there was no elevator, so heavy suitcases have to be carried up the stairs. Overall though, this place was great and the price was good.

OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for the review! Ocean Beach has some really neat local shops - very few of the international brand stores - which makes shopping a unique, local experience. From surf shops to antique stores to hip clothing stores - OB has some great local flavor when it comes to San Diego shopping.

I'm disappointed that Skype didn't work - we just installed 3 high-powered commercial grade Wi-Fi routers - I will check into our connection in all the rooms and make sure the signal is strong enough to Skype. Perhaps you visited us a few months ago when those were not installed yet - as of now the signal is really strong. And yep - no elevator.... yet. Only the strong arms of the hotel front desk to help you with bags.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again soon!