“Quaint beach hotel with awesome views and location”
Review of Ocean Beach Hotel

Ocean Beach Hotel
Ranked #156 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel is right in front of the beach with a beautiful court yard. I would love to host a party there! It's great for the value and perfect for a beach weekend getaway. I got my friends a room there too as a gift and they loved it!

• Stayed: December 2012
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review! The title of your review is perfect - that really sums it up - we love being a quaint beach hotel with awesome location/views! I'm glad you were able to experience the beauty of Ocean Beach and enjoy our newly remodeled courtyard.

I have some great news - you CAN host a party in the courtyard and we would love to be your venue! Check out our events and weddings page on our website for what's included, pricing, and availability.

Thanks again for the review and thanks for telling your friends about us. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our first trip to Ocean Beach and we will be back!! We were visiting my son and it is a really convenient place to stay.The view was stunning. We had a balcony with sea view.Bed was comfortable and everywhere was clean.Looking at other hotels in the area this was the best in our opinion.We felt we knew the view as we had seen it from the hotel's webcam several times.It wasin the flight path and the first 2 mornings this woke us at about 06.30 but after that we completely forgot about it and it was no problem and we slept through.

Room Tip: Sea view with balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary W
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed your first stay in Ocean Beach - we hope to see you often! I'm happy to hear your son is a fellow OBecian and he was probably able to show you the many fantastic restaurants and attractions in Ocean Beach.

That's really neat that the view was already familiar because of the webcam. That's a pretty cool feature of our website for people to check the waves, view the sunset, or see what the weather is like from anywhere in the world.

There's good and bad to having the airport in the middle of downtown San Diego. On one hand, it's easy to get to the airport within 10 minutes from OB. Makes traveling easy. On the other, there's a major portion of San Diego in the flight path. I'm happy to hear it didn't bother you too much.

Thanks again for your wonderful review and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

theocean beach hotel in san diego is a dekightful experience. while I am used o staying in multi room high rise hotels, this small hotel was a wonderful change of pace. located at the end of the ocean beach main street this hotel is directly across the street from the pacific ocean. built in the 1960's and remolded twice this family owned hotel features a courtyard in the middoe of the hoteo with stone and grss. the three 10 ft goass archways fronting the beach allows you a direct view of the ocean while siping your morning. my room was on the ground floor so i could oen my door directly onto the courtyard.....getting a cup of morning coffee i could wak to the beach past walls covered with beautiful beauganvills of pinkand purple....cross the stree sit at a chair height wall and watch the surfers in the pacific ocean.....a warm and cheerfuo staff made my stay extremely restful....next door to the hotel is a restaurant challed Shades which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner...
the service are huge andvery very good. i can hardoy wait for my next trip to this great city to again stay at this wonderrrrful hotel

dan bazar
ft worth tx

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for such a great review!! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed all that Ocean Beach and the Ocean Beach Hotel have to offer. We take pride in the fact that we are not a big high rise hotel where the guest experience gets lost in the shuffle. Rather we are a small boutique hotel, family owned and operated, that takes each and every guest experience very seriously - we want you to have the perfect vacation!

We just finished our latest renovation of the courtyard and are thrilled with the reactions we are getting. The flagstone and rustic fountain give a tranquil feel while you can still see the ocean through the arched windows. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy the courtyard with your morning coffee or tea.

And yes, Shades is an amazing restaurant! Ocean Beach knows food and Shades is a perfect example. There are nearly 40 restaurants within a 5 block radius of the OB Hotel.

Thank you again for the wonderful review and we can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Beach Hotel over Thanksgiving weekend, and I loved it. It was right across from the Pacific Ocean, and one could hear the ocean waves and the ocean breeze right from the hotel room. The room was cleaned really well every day, and fresh towels were always given every day. Location was perfect. Next to the Pier, and beside the Pacific Ocean. Could not ask for anything better.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the window view of the ocean. Very calming. :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the fantastic review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the ocean sounds and breezes. There's nothing quite like falling asleep to the rhythmic sounds of the ocean waves! Thank you for mentioning that we do have pet-friendly rooms available - we love our four legged guests as well. With Dog Beach right down the street (a beach where dogs can run leash free and have some fun) it's a perfect spot to vacation with or without the pup.

Thanks again for the wonderful review and we greatly look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

First of all Luis at the front desk was awesome... very accommodating, polite and generous. i needed to leave a night early and he handled the transaction without question.

The room was a king bed ocean front that smelled awful and was very small. however, the two french doors opening to the ocean (except the one that hit the bed b/c of space limitations) was a lovely experience. The marijuana drifting in through the doors was not a lovely experience.

The direct ocean facing rooms look out onto the grassy area, the boardwalk, the pier and the beach. The grassy area is a hangout for all people from homeless to suits... its a great people watching area.. I don't know that I'd let teenagers out at night though b/c of the plethora of drugs traded quite openly directly in front of the hotel.

There are several rooms on either side of the hotel that have balconies over looking one side of the ocean (and the very busy OB Pier parking lot/or the street on the other side)....

I checked out early b/c of the bed that killed my neck (most people would be comfortable I think b/c it's memory foam) smell inside and out, and the all night noise (even in the winter on a Tuesday night) and went to another hotel that was 1/2 the price on dog beach. I did however, go back to Shades (my favorite restaurant in OB b/c it's on the water) which is right next to the OB Hotel... in front of the room I had stayed in were several Hari Krishna's chanting and singing and much smoking of the weed... Evidently the Farmers Market which is held right next to the Hotel on Newport each Wednesday night brings all sorts of musical folk.

If you love the ocean and the other stuff doesn't bother you it's an ok place to stay... just be informed :)

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: For one or two people the king oceanfront is great though very small and noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you for your review - feedback is always valuable to us. We will strive to make your next stay with us a much better experience if you give us another chance. Luis is indeed awesome! He has been with the OB Hotel for 27 years and continues to provide exceptional customer service. Thank you for recognizing him in your review!

A great view is not enough for us. We strive to give a top-notch vacation experience and I apologize that you did not receive that. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the people watching and the ocean view from your room through the french doors. We installed those doors a few years ago on the suites so that guests could enjoy a panoramic view of the ocean and feel the ocean breeze.

Yes, some of the rooms are small - the building was built more than 40 years ago and many of the beach buildings from this time were built the same way. We are currently conducting renovations to use the space we have to expand the rooms and create more space. If there is anything wrong with a particular room, I encourage you to let our front desk know so we can let you see other rooms that are available and might suit you better.

A drawback from being right on the main street in Ocean Beach is the noise. It's the trade-off for being able to walk to all of the shops and the restaurants within one block. OB is a very safe town - if you see anything wrong even if it is outside the hotel grounds, please notify our front desk and we will handle it appropriately. There is a wonderful family aspect to OB and I encourage you to ask any family walking down the street and I’m sure they will tell you this neighborhood is not only safe but very family friendly.

I hope you will give us another chance. Thank you again for the review and happy travels!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

First of all, LOCATION! This place is right on the beach across from the longest pier I believe I have ever seen! It literally is a beach bum town, so if you're good with that, you will be happy here. There are good restaurants and shops all around the hotel. You needn't drive anywhere else if you didn't want to.
The courtyard of the hotel is a kind of spanish hacienda style - cute. There are chairs and tables set up to have your own happy hour :3 They even put in glass on the beach side, so you can sit out there and be comfortable if it is chilly.
We had a partial ocean view room, which it was. The room is very small though, and didn't have many of the small things that you get use to traveling. I'm sure this is an old building that they have remodeled. There was hardwood floors, frig, microwave, comfortable bed and very nice shower. There wasn't a coffee pot, many outlets, room to put your clothes, room to put your toiletries or places to hang anything. But as long as you love the person you are with, it all works out.
The area is nice and safe, but not fancy. Being in the flight path of the airport bothered me some.
But all in all, I would go back again. I consder it my "love shack" :D

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for the review! Yes, we are updated. :) And yes, that is a long pier! In fact, it is reported to be the longest concrete pier in the world and the second longest pier overall on the west coast (behind Santa Cruz) at 1971 feet!

So glad you brought up the fact that once you park your car, you really don't have to get back in it the whole time you are here! It's really nice to be in the heart of Ocean Beach. Also, very excited that you enjoyed the newly renovated courtyard. We are thrilled when people enjoy a beverage at one of the tables and watch the waves!

Indeed, the hotel was built more than 40 years ago and the rooms are a bit small. We are currently renovating the bathrooms to provide more shelving and installing more outlets. I'd say we are a giant step up from a "shack" but you know what, if you want to think of us as the little old place where... you can get together... that's fine by us. Glitter on the highwaaay!!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

First time here and we stayed 2 nights. Hotel is right across the street from OB Pier and the beach. All the restaurants, shops and bars are just steps away. We had reserved the King Suite but they said the Suite was "not available." Good news was they upgraded us to the Condo unit. Bonus! This is a separate building next to the hotel. Fully equipted kitchen, 2 tvs, big dining room table, huge private deck with table and chairs, private gated entrance. Wow. We loved sitting on the deck just taking in the view, the people, the constant activity. Enjoyed watching a Surfing Class one morning. Condo very clean and private. Huge. Only complaint would be that there are neighobors not associated with hotel....they were nosiy one night coming outside to smoke. And there was a yippy little dog barking. But we carry earplugs when we travel so no worries. We we would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
OBH0TEL, Manager at Ocean Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review! We look forward to becoming a familiar stop for you when you are in San Diego! I'm glad you were able to experience our newly remodeled condo suite. We strived for that "wow" factor and I'm so happy to hear that we achieved it in your review. Side note - the King Suite wasn't available because we are putting in a brand new bathroom!

The surfing class was most likely Ocean Experience surf school - they do a fantastic job with surf lessons in Ocean Beach.

I'll talk to our neighbors about the noise issue - I'm sorry you experienced that.

Thank you again for the review and we look forward to seeing you again when you are in San Diego!