“Definitely a Budget Hotel”

Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Ranked #148 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We ended up staying here after the Days Inn up the street had no water. We switche dto the Quality Inn and ended up saving about $200. There were some questionable characters in the area but nothing too scary. I was pleased to find an antique microwave and refrigerator in the room. The AC cooled down great and it was super quiet at ngiht which is always a plus. The look inside the room was very dated but if you can get past aesthetics, it was a descent place to stay. I didn't get to enjoy the pool but I did walk by it and noticed how tiny it was. I also didn't take advantage of the free breakfast but it looked okay. In a nutshell, dated but cheap. I would only stay here again but only because I have friends in the neighborhood. If not I would pay more to stay close to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium

Reviewed July 25, 2009

I, my wife, and my two year old daughter stayed here for three nights in January. Now, I work in a job that requires me to travel alot and stay in a lot of "budget" hotels, from Sonoma County to Ventura (and everywhere in between), so I KNOW first-hand the nightmares budget travelers face, but I'd had better luck with Quality Inn's over, say, Motel 6's, so I thought I'd give this place a shot. When I was doing my homework, I only found a Motel 6 and a couple of non-franchise hotels in the same area for cheaper (and even then no more than $10.00 a night cheaper).

While it is indeed dated, this place was DEFINITELY worth the extra ten bucks. The breakfasts were good (do-it-yourself waffle iron, cereals, fruits, toasts, muffins, etc.). The neighborhood was quiet and not at all "shady." Really great freeway access, but honestly a little difficult to get to the FIRST time (and if any of you have older GPS maps, please note that the freeway exit directions may have changed since your last update).

You know when you stay in a budget hotel for the first time, and when you get to the door and prepare to open, you begin dreading the smell? Because some budget hotels smell alright, while others give you that face full of funk when you open the door? I was relieved to find our room smelled fresh and clean (actually clean, not air-freshener over crap clean).

Service was friendly with only mis-step: I came down for breakfast one morning right after I rolled out of bed, and my hair admittedly looked like a bird's nest (the trench coat probably didn't help either). When I walked in and asked where the breakfast bar was, the receptionist eyed me suspiciously and asked "You ARE a guest hear, right?" Tacky, sure, but somewhat understandable. Otherwise, the service was great for all days I stayed hear.

Internet access/speed was adequate and consistent all the way through. Room's were always well cleaned between days. We traveled all over San Diego county from this hotel, and it's central enough to get anywhere in the county easily.

It's not a five-star hotel, and it's not trying to be: what it is a clean, friendly, and safe value hotel. I'd recommend to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bodega1027
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Just turned up and booked a room. Great service for the cost. Staff very friendly and rooms very clean. Breakfast served in restaurant/bar next door - very nice! Good selection and staff very helpfull and full of knowledge.
Overall a great budget choice!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sarahml
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Check in was easy and the staff very nice and helpful. Starbucks is a short walk away on harbor blvd and the place has beautiful new windows. The tile has been redone throughout and yes the place is a bit old but on a busy weekend it was nice and clean and set near the midway which was also a easy walk

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Stayed for one nite (3/16/07). It is a bit tricky to find this off the I-8, but is pretty convenient for visiting SDSU which is what my son and I were doing. Room was clean, but dated. Good wi-fi access, thin towels. Rooms overlook the freeway so it can be a bit noisy, but was ok with the windows closed. Only complaint I had was that while there was a PC available in the office, they couldn't print out a boarding pass as they had no printer available.
Overall, it was fine for a motel; nothing special, but that's what we paid for.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Rappongi27
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I did a lot of research to find a good deal for a clean, safe place to stay in San Diego and Trip Advisor was very helpful. We were driving down from LA to go to Sea World, staying over and hitting the Wild Animal Park the next day. As a family on a budget, the amusement parks were expensive enough, we just needed a basic place to stay that was preferably, not in the ghetto or frequented by drug dealers. Through AAA, I found this Quality Inn, it's about 10 miles from Sea World, a very easy drive east on the 8. The front desk was friendly and efficient, we checked in with no problems. The room was very clean with a big soft king size bed. The room also came with a microwave and a refrigerator which was not expected, but much appreciated. The continental breakfast, besides pastries, juice and coffee also featured cereal and milk which was great for my son. For the $67 AAA rate, it fulfilled all of our basic needs. There was also a small pool that we didn't get to try out. I recommend this motel highly for budget-minded travelers.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank TinaQ
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I've read some reviews before going there and was aware of garage and tidiness issues.

Yes ,it's true re the garage poles but we managed not to touch any with a full size Olds. You can avoid $9 charge by parking your car on the streets surrounding the hotel.

My husband and i were really impressed with a friendly staff everywhere in this downtown budget hotel: starting from a quick check in at the front desk to a breakfast room to every cleaning lady on the floor.

Yes, the room was smaller than any american average hotel room, but it's clean and well equipped: a coffee maker with two mugs, a fridge,a personal SAFE!!!) An internet-via-TV service is offered for about $10 per day, so you do not need to carry your note book if you go on a vacation trip. If you are on a business trip with your own computer, it's free. We had a desk with a chair in a king-size room, plus an armchair. there are plenty of lamps in the room.
The bathroom was small but clean and supplшув with toiletries (soup-shampoo-conditioner-lotion). NO stains on the mattress (i checked!), no bugs, no stains on the carpets or walls/ ceiling.

Location is super: walk three blocks down to the famous Gaslamp Distr (5th ave), Horton shopping Plaza (4th Ave), even to Balboa Park up the same 6th Ave. We did not have a harbor view but the skyline was a good enough picture for a short time between coming to a room and falling asleep. The most important feature for me was a really powerfull a/c
which was able to cool the room down in no time (it was 95*F outside last week).

The Indigo Cafe is very friendly and good for breakfast, brahcn or any time ($7 for an omlette). A block down from it, i found a brand new juice cafe with very healthy drinks.

All -in -all, i consider this hotel a good find for a downtown accommodations if you do not want to pay $$$. My only suggestion: please add tea bags to your room coffe package (to avoid a trip to the breakfast room or front desk). Thanks to all at a Quality Inn -Harbor View/ San Diego for a very good service!

3  Thank Nina V