New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #136 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Foothill Ranch
“Can't Beat This Place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are looking for a comfortable, quiet, place to stay at an affordable price this is your place. The room is not huge, but it has a king size bed in it. It also has a fride and microwave. The bathroom is small, but everything looks clean and recently improved. The bed was nice and comfortable and the whole room was clean and nice.The room also has a flat screen TV. Although we didn't use this service, they have several restaurants that deliver to the motel. My son had a basketball tournament at SDSU. We were 5 minutes away from the gym with easy access to the nearby 8 freeway. You are also very close to a trolly service that goes all over San Diego. Although we didn't go in it, they have a pool. It's a small pool, but the kids that were in it at the time looked to be having fun. The free breakfast was also great. The breakfast room is a bit small for everybody, but you can always find a place in the lobby or outside. (We loved the waffle makers.) They also have cereal, muffins, bread, milk coffee etc...everything for that quick breakfast. In summary, I would recommend this motel. I have nothing to complain about this place. The room was nice, the location was great, the service was good, and breakfast was perfect. If you want a comfortable, quiet place to sleep...at affordable price...this is your place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jack M
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Hi Jack,

I am happy to hear you had a fantastic stay at our hotel. The staff and I love to hear guests having a wonderful experience during their trip to San Diego. We hope to see you again during your next trip!

Genenral Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
Costa mesa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Great service and perfect for what we wanted. It wasn't huge but we didn't need much space as we weren't in San Diego to be in our hotel room all night. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, clean, safe room for the night/weekend.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Lisa_marie810
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed our stay and it seemed like you had a great time in San Diego. See you next time!
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Where do I begin! I stayed in this place between May 28th and May 30th. I almost never complain but this is one place I must warn you about. All rooms open to the outside rather than into a hotel lobby for that matter. This part is uncontrollable from the staff and I must have missed it from previous reviewers. Upon entering the room, I notice the night stand next to my bed was filthy but I decided not to say anything and let one slip up go. However, upon going to bed later that night, I noticed one pillow on my side was covered in stains and so was the corner of my side of the bed. Additionally, I noticed the tissue box was almost entirely out. I called the front desk to make sure they changed the sheets and pillow as well as replaced the tissue box resulting in her laughing and she informed me that they change the sheets every day and made sure toiletries were fully stocked. Furthermore, I noticed that the carpet paneling around the in-room Jacuzzi was falling off the wall and informed them of that as well. They first asked if we wanted to switch rooms which was my mistake to refuse even though it was 11:30pm at night and we were exhausted. Then, they asked me if they could come and fix it in the morning and I said absolutely which they did in fact do. They made me feel as though what I was asking for was ridiculous because of it being common industry practice that they change the sheets every day. Thus, I felt confident that they would in fact change them and replace the tissue box.

The next day when we came back to the room, I noticed that not only did they not change the sheets and pillows but rather remake the bed and did not replace the tissue box. Further, they did not clean the filthy night stand. After I used the Jacuzzi my second night, I grabbed one of the towels conveniently placed next to the Jacuzzi and began to dry myself only to find a big brown spot on it. When I went to take a shower, I noticed the shower curtain was also filthy. Honestly, at that point I was certain that the carpet was the cleanest thing in the room. I went to the front desk the next morning upon checking out and informed the front desk person about how nothing from my call was accomplished and informed her of all the other issues. Her response to me was that there was a language barrier with the employee and thanked me for informing her. She did absolutely nothing more for me and I doubt anything will be changed considering what happened the first night's phone call and nothing being done for the second day. Luckily, we had our 2nd two nights booked with Hampton Inn Kearny Mesa which was as usual a night and day difference in comparison, plus they have a fitness center which this Rodeway Inn does not. On the Choice Hotels side, I would definitely recommend staying at a Comfort Suites any day compared to this one which does have an almost equally delicious breakfast only slightly better and is much cleaner as well as more attentive to accomplishing their every day job. Granted this hotel was more budget friendly than Hampton Inn, but for $8 less and having a Jacuzzi boy do they make you pay for it.

Room Tip: Inspect the room from the bottom up before heading out for the evening.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mondo980
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Good price, good rooms and good service. The breakfast is also very good. I have nothing bad to say about my stay there. It was just the place I was looking for to relax a little bit while I was on a road trip.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ThaisT4
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
My staff and I appreciate your review and the compliments you gave our hotel. We hope to see you soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was a little nervous due to the mixed reviews but it was a good experience. The room was clean and there was very little noise, with the latter may be due to being on the 2nd floor. When I turned on the AC initially it was weirdly muggy but became better a few hours later. Not sure I dug the smell too much which I think it was due to whatever they used to clean the bedding and/or the room, but at least it wasn't stinky from cigarettes or uncleanliness. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. We hope to see you soon!
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

The property was very nicely remodeled and clean. The sleep quality not good because of thin walls/lack of insulation; you can hear every noise next door. The owners were unfriendly and non-caring and the staff is indifferent to the customers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pratik S, General Manager at Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hi Nursemaker,

I want to thank you for leaving a review. I apologize about the discomfort you had with the noise from the surrounding rooms. One thing I can recommend is requesting a corner room to minimize the number of people around you.

I am also sorry to hear your experience with the owners was not pleasant. I do not believe you had the opportunity to meet them as they do not work at the hotel. If it was an issue with the front desk staff, I will address your experience with them and make sure we provide better customer service to our guests.

Regards,

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

My family and I stayed at this place based on the good reviews from here. We normally stay at Holiday Inn Express because they are very consistent wherever you stay, but I wanted to save a few bucks. This stay was ok, but not as good as some of the reviews would lead you to think. The place is not as clean as some reviews indicate. While the beds appeared to be clean and the bathroom was fairly clean (though extremely small), the carpets were filthy, so much I didn't want to walk around with my shoes off at all (I even had concerns about walking with my shoes ON, jk). Imagine large blackened wear spots right down the middle of the carpet, from the door to the bathroom.

In addition, there was a gaping space around the door which let all kinds of noise inside, which wouldn't be a huge problem if the room wasn't right next to the freeway. So, we had to deal with unnecessary freeway noise the entire time. At the bottom of the door was a space about 1/2 an inch. We had to place a rolled up towel there to keep light out, but nothing would stop the sound. My wife didn't seem to mind the noise and said it was like white noise to help her sleep better. I was bothered because it should have been obvious to whoever installed the door and could be remedied with a cheap seal from Home Depot.

The location seemed ok, no more dangerous than other parts of San Diego. Parking was ample. The staff were pretty friendly. The breakfast was decent, better than some other hotels, not much selection though. Also, the area where breakfast was served only has two tables to sit at. The Wi-fi was fast enough for Netflix/Hulu, though the TV was pretty small. The clock radio gave off random noises that could not be controlled. It would randomly turn on and play static, not matter what you did to it. Also, I noticed that the smoke alarm was not turned on. I climbed up on the bed to take a look and I was right, it wasn't even connected. The A/C did work well and was pretty quiet.

The room itself was pretty small for a double queen, as many other reviews state. Overall, I give the room a 2 out of 5, but the establishment a 3 out of 5 since some of the problems I experienced may have only been with my room (e.g. dirty carpet, gap in door, broken clock radio). This is a decent place if you are overly concerned about the price. However, my next stay I will likely just spend a few extra bucks and stay at a better hotel, like Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pcaz79
Hi pcaz79,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am glad to hear any suggestions to make the room quality and overall experience from our guests. For the noise coming in the room, we have installed wither strips on the door frame. However, like you mentioned, there may be improvements to sealing the outside noise by installing another seal at the bottom of the door.

I am glad to hear you liked the breakfast even though the breakfast area is small. We do suggest that guests take their breakfast to the pool area and enjoy it at the tables. We have umbrellas attached to the tables so you can enjoy your breakfast in the shade!

We hope to see you again at our property and will take into account your suggestion!