“Great Value, So-So Location”

Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Ranked #154 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the Rodeway Inn for 5 nights as part of a work-related trip to San Diego. Here are my pros, cons, and quirks of my stay.

Pros:
- Value: I paid ~$270.00 for 5 nights, including taxes (I also had a 15% off travelocity coupon)
- Comfortable room: beds was cozy, pillows were soft
- Quiet: It's in a quiet neighborhood, and I was not bothered at all during my stay
- Clean: No stains!
- Remodeled with a modern touch: flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, hair-drier
- Breakfast: it was so-so, consisted of waffles, pastries, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, juice, coffee. Not exactly great but I was filled up every day
- A/C was wonderful
- WiFi was free, reliable

Cons:
- Distance -- Kind of far from prime locations: 15 mns from beach, 10 mns to downtown, 10 mns to Rady Children's Hospital, 20 mns to LaJolla. You can probably get closer to these locations for equal price. If you stay here, you will need a car rental
- No restaurant or gas station is within walking distance
- Staff could be more friendly: you need to walk past the friend desk to get to the breakfast bar, and despite making eye contact, the desk clerk didn't say hi.
- $50 deposit: When you check in, you are required to swipe a credit card and sign a receipt for a $50 deposit, which I was told would be credited to my account 5-10 days after I check out. Most businesses just keep a card on file, and in 2013, that is preferable.
- No elevators

Quirks:
- The TV in my room was such that I could also watch it in my shower (I really liked that!)
- TV remote had no cover over the batteries

Overall: I would stay again, however if I wanted a beach vacation, I would try to find somewhere closer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank InkedDoctorKyle

Reviewed October 23, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Lizlie L
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Attending a high school reunion, visiting friends and memories, we found Rodeway Inn Mission Valley to be the optimum intersection of economy, location, service, and value. Quick access to Mission Gorge and I8 provided a great location. Did not partake of the breakfast; crowded and basically carbs. Overall met our needs and budget very well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George S
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel were very friendly, knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. The location was close to the freeway with no freeway noise in room, which is hard to find in San Diego. The room was furnished with ample room for 2, refridgerator, microwave, and a small maybe 36" flat screen TV, and wall mounted A/C/Heat (both worked quietly). The location is close to the freeway so you can be at the beach in 20 minutes (west) or the mountains in 30 minutes(east). It is also very close to the Stadium for BASEBALL/FOOTBALL in season(5-10 minutes). Sun is morning east, NOON south, evening west (more sun on the south side, closer to freeway in main building, with the other building faceing East/West, Sun in morning east side, sun in afternoon to west side. Our room was serviced every day as requested for 8 days. Rooms were very clean and comfortable, with room for work on desk/computer with rolling chair. TV also had HBO. Shower and toilet were very clean with soap and shampoo. Check in time was 1:00pm.

Room Tip: I booked this hotel on line at hotels.com, and read their reviews before booking my room. We stayed...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 4youandme2
Reviewed October 21, 2013

When coming down to visit, I always stay at this rodeway Inn. The service is very good and the staff is cheerful and helpful. I love this Rodeway Inn. I've stayed here many times and always enjoy the hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Too bad I didn't read the negative reviews before booking this through a third-party site, as my 4 year old & I automatically got assigned a smoking room and upon check-in were informed of this, then told that they were unable to change it to non-smoking. The woman who checked us in did seem somewhat sympathetic at least. Other reviewers are correct that the smoking rooms have a VERY strong smell. My 4 year old, who is pretty much the opposite of sensitive, had a meltdown over it. I was lucky that I even got him to go to sleep. And yes, the comforter had holes burned through it too.

More unsettling than the smoking room was the overall ambience. I don't know if it was the normal clientele during the evening of our stay, but the place had kind of an unsafe feeling about it...lots of shabbily dressed folks loitering out in the halls, or in their rooms with doors wide open and a couple seemed to lurk in the parking lot staring at us coming and going. One room had a lot of yelling going on, another had pot fumes emanating out, and another was crammed full of 8 or so teenagers/young adults all laying on a bed giving the whole place a weird, creepy vibe. At least there was a dead bolt on the door. After this experience, we checked out as early as we possibly could and gave the breakfast a pass!

In terms of aesthetics, it was sort of a standard highway motel place...dubious carpet; polyester bedding; kind of beat up furniture. Service was alright--neither overly friendly nor unfriendly.

I didn't have high expectations for this place and figured this was going to be a standard motel but this one fell short of the mark. I very much regretted not choosing alternate accommodations but was certainly happy that I had only booked one night.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker, steer clear of the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ersatz
Reviewed October 6, 2013

When we made our reservation for this hotel, we asked if we could please get our room next to the room of the other guests we were traveling with. AND they did that for us with no problems at all.
The room was adequate and the beds were comfortable. The carpet needed to be cleaned as my feet got dirty from walking on the carpet.
The breakfast was very good. Lots of people eating and they made sure to keep the food stocked so that we all got the whole menu.
The staff was very accommodating and friendly. the hotel was quiet. I would definitely consider staying here again on our nest trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: I had to do a load of laundry while I was staying there. The laundry facility is on the back side of...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family