“Clean, Quiet and Good Value”

Motel 6 San Diego Downtown
Ranked #198 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed 2 nights-felt safe and slept well. Enjoyed being close to many San Diego attractions. Almost did not need a car. Easy to clean linoleum floors made us much more relaxed about our dog having "an accident." Good coffee in AM. We would stay here again.
Tip: Open windows upon check in to have fresh cool air in room for sleeping. We did not open windows until 10:30 and it took a while to cool down in warm San Diego.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and would stay there again or elsewhere in the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JMSacto
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 San Diego Downtown

Reviewed September 23, 2013

It's a Motel 6, don't expect gold plated taps and smoked salmon room service breakfasts and you won't be disappointed. The motel is excellently situated for Little Italy, the Gaslamp and the Embarcadero and our room was spotless. The staff were friendly, outgoing and polite and happy to help and they provide free coffee in the morning :-) Saturday night was a bit loud, but it's budget digs in the middle of a big city and so attracts a young crowd, the rest of our stay there were no noise problems at all. Stayed here a couple of times now and would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you stay here, make sure to wear your bulletproof vest. A large bullet hole in window, does not make guest feel safe. Oh and make sure get tons of sleep before staying here as well. The beds are off centerd so you will probley wake up every few hours of so, because you feel like your going to fall of the edge of the bed. Front desk staff was okay, considerding that the night auditor had her hands tied by the fact that they were sold out. The crown jewel of staff was the morning front desk agents who have known of the bullet hole and simply said "oh yea its been there we're going to get that fixed". Thank god that I was only there a night. If you want to feel like your in a gangland area stay here!

Room Tip: Not room 405!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brunchdoe
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here several years ago and hasn't changed much which is good. The price is still good compared to the competition in this well located area. It has good parking with lots behind the motel and gives the patrons large rooms. The bed is good, with a nice bathroom with tub/shower combo. The desk clerks were nice and helpful. As usual with Motel 6, there is no microwave or mini-fridge and the TV is the typical Motel 6 one which isn't great. And the remote control is JUNK...same one that the Motel 6 has on Tropicana Avenue in Las Vegas which means it works about every 3rd punch of a button. I walked to the harbor area and Seaport Village and also to Balboa Park from this location so it is centrally located

Please Motel 6....dump those remote controls and FIRE the person who apparently got a kickback for ordering a ton of these trashy TV remotes...they do NOT work properly!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank tfberry
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was in San Diego for a convention this April and was glad to read TripAdvisor reviews before choosing where to stay in San Diego. I believe I made a great deal staying at Motel 6 Downtown - the staff is warm and gives you all information you need. I was also glad of staying close to the subway - I could walk for 10 minutes to get there, and the motel is only a 15-minute walking distance from the Gaslamp Quarter, a tourist attraction where you will find many bars, restaurants and dance clubs downtown.
The only bad thing was walking downtown at night. I was travelling solo and it felt really eery walking alone. There were cops on the streets but also some beggars. I didn´t feel completely safe but nothing bad happened to me during my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2013

2 people staying in a regular room,1 queen size bed (kind of a bummer), and brought 2 full size bikes in my Honda Fit car. Yeah! Biking in, around SD, and it's pretty close to bike to Balboa Park. If you want to bike to Coronado is awesome, but it's best to take the car then bike around there. Trust me. Biking takes away hours of walking, gas, and bus rides.

Pros:
1. Parking is included!!!! Yes! Has 1 small and a big lot. Con: First come, first serve.
2. Clean. It was renovated. For others that may not know: Most of the times, when renovations are in progress, you might see roaches. This is very common. Since it has been renovated long ago, I didn't see any.
3. Security guard! And he checks your name after hours. I felt safe.
4. Awesome, new air conditioner and heater. I rather have them take away refrigerator, coffee maker, and shampoo just to get this.
5. Bed is not bad. I don't like goose down everything in a bed. Don't need that.

Pro/Con:
1. Pets. As long as fleas aren't around.

Cons:
1. Not family friendly: small space. You might smell some herbs down the hallway as the maids try to air out the smell in the morning.
2. So okay, maybe the walls are thin. You may hear couples in the morning doing their thing. Bring your own ear plugs. Front desk don't have any.
3. No Shampoo and conditioner as what reviewers said. Whew! Brought mine.
4. Internet suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Don't bother to pay $2.99 for 12 hrs of wireless internet. McDonalds and Starbucks are better and free. Never ever again. Hot spot it.
5. No hair dryer, iron and board. Ask and borrow from the front desk.
6. Remember: this is downtown, but not the bad part of downtown. When there is a downtown, there are homeless people. This hotel is okay to stay really! I'm from LA and I know how bad ours is. Don't be afraid and act afraid. They don't sleep next to this hotel, since a security guard is there.
7. No refrigerator. This is okay. Brought my expandable icebox roller.
8. No coffee maker. That's okay.
9. No breakfast. Next door cafe shop closes early in the weekends. That's okay for us since we brought our bikes.
10. No hotel brochure. I guess they want to save paper. That's okay.

Price is around $100+tax per night. I remember few years ago, I stayed at another hotel also in SD around that price and also nearby,and includes make your own breakfast waffles. Oh well. Not this one. So hotels are getting a big pricey now these days and cutting off amenities, it's okay for us because most of our day is being out and explore during vacations. This place is good to stay for a short time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LLSoCali
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a good value for the area. Not the best location as it is a mile from the wharf and the area has a lot of shady characters hanging around. No good restaurants nearby either. Bottom line is this is an alright motel if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo