“Great location - not as bad as some make out.”

Heritage Inn San Diego Near Sea World
Ranked #235 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“Great location - not as bad as some make out.”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I wanted to write a review of this place because some of the older reviews are a bit outdated (I think). We just got back from staying here and I was very wary of the place based on previous reviews. Really, it is not that bad. No, it's not a 5-star hotel but what do you expect for the price?
There is a lobby where you check-in during normal hours - the glass window is for late check-ins which is pretty standard at a cheaper hotel. Our room was clean and had the added bonus of a fridge. The breakfast was a variety of pastries which were ok.
If you're travelling with a dog you can't beat the location as it is sooo close to Fiesta Island (amazing off leash dog park) and just across the street from Camp-Run-A-Mutt for doggy day care (if, like us, you don't want to leave your dog in your room all day while you do things without them). The only thing is it is hard to find information on their pet policy online which makes it seem like they don't charge for pets - they do, it is $15 per day.
The location is not at all sketchy, I saw one review where the person complained about the number of RV's parked on the street. That's because there's an RV service garage just around the corner from the hotel!
I did not observe any drug related behavior from anyone in the neighborhood - the hotel is right next to an 'active seniors' condo complex!
I felt pretty safe while staying there and I am 6 months pregnant so do take extra precautions.
Anyway, I would stay there again and would recommend it to anyone looking to save a few bucks on a centrally located hotel in SD.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sophie A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Casa Grande, Arizona, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My wife,son and I decided we would book this hotel for our trip to seaworld,The price was good..But thats where the good experience ended,when we first came to check in,there was no lobby,and nothing but a very rude woman,behind bulletproof glass to check in with. It was extremely seedy,nothing about the place felt safe,and I didnt feel comfertable having my son spend the night there.
The only people who are staying here,clearly LIVE here,because they have most likely been kicked out of there previous resident for DRUG POSSESSION,we checked out 15 minutes after we checked in,and were refused a refund,we decided to dish out the money and stay at the holiday inn across the street, completely OPPOSITE Experience,its worth the money to not step on used needles or get shot at.

And on top of everything else,there were people standing in the parking lot, whistling at us and smoking weed when we were leaving.

Room Tip: Stay at the holiday Inn next door.its MUCH Better.Only stay here if your trying to score drugs,or jo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gage_12

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My school has gone to this hotel two years in a row for our spring break, and we have nothing but pro's! Great place to stay while your surfing and enjoying the beauty of Southern-California.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank BizStudent2012
El Dorado, Arkansas
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I am a mommy of a 4 yr old and a 5 month old. My husband and I were looking for a nice area we could take our little ones to, also traveling with our little chiuahuah. We weren't sure what hotel to book, but I can tell you I sure am glad my husband and I decided to go check them out personally before making a choice. We drove right to the Heritage hotel and we were sadly disappointed by what we saw. Near this hotel are a bunch of RV trailers that my husband could immediately tell that homeless people lived in. Near the hotel were run down apartments. My husband is in law enforcement. He said heck no we aren't staying here! There were so many homeless people walking around the area. I certainly didn't feel safe enough to take my chiuahuah outside to pee. If you have a family I don't recommend staying here, that is if you don't mind staying around a bunch of walking homeless people in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Book based on location!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jannet S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Me and my fiancé stayed at this hotel the days of December 14-18. We had a late night check in due to our commute from Los Angeles to San Diego after work. We were waiting to check in, and there was a drunk man in line before us saying he was going to bring a woman from Mexico to stay with him. Hmmm, the sketchiness begins!
Other than that, the check in was smooth. We fell asleep quickly that night, with the light on! There was no sign of bed bugs and it seemed clean. The beds were actually pretty comfy but the smell of the linen and pillows was very strong!
The next night, the cops knocked on the door from our next door neighbors...at 3 in the morning!!! I bet it was that man with that woman from Mexico. But, that scared the crap out of me!!!
Other than that, the room was nice and convenient for a little less than 50 bucks a day. Our four night stay was $222!!! what an amazing rate!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marisa m
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We were going to be in town for one night and found this location for a cheap price through AAA. We requested a non smoking room, as I walked in thru the door the nasty odor of smoke smacked me in the face. I immediately turned on the ac and left for a night out in town hoping the smell eventually would go away.
I came back and it was still the same, I was so fed up That I gathered my belonging to check out. I expressed my concerns to the receptionist at the front deck and she offered to upgrade my room. I wa so disgusted, there was no way I was sleeping there. I requested a refund but she told me that because I checked in at 4:00 pm and it was now 12:00 am she couldn't do it. I gave her the keys and walked away. Never will I ever stay here again and do not recommend it, spend the extra cash for something decent.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Kaligirl00
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We were very close to cancelling our reservation before we checked in after reading some of the reviews other people had written. We decided not to and it was a good decision. Reception staff were very friendly; they even allowed us to check-in early. They were very helpful with directions too. Our room was good - very clean. There were a lot of families staying there while we were there. The area is a bit dodgy, but the hotel itself felt safe. Breakfast is only pastries but it was adequate. Some fresh fruit would have been a welcome addition. Good places to eat nearby and Sea World is only a 20 min walk away.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple