“Wicked breakfast spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Broken Yolk Cafe

Broken Yolk Cafe
Ranked #52 of 4,716 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Wicked breakfast spot”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Located in a nice location near the conference centre, Petco field and many hotels downtown. The menu has something for everyone and its delicious. If you're a big breakfast eater look no further. One item in particular is extra large and comes with a dozen eggs, two biscuits, a 15" pizza folded over and topped with beans and other items. Yummy. We witnessed a man have a go at it. He was still eating when we left but he looked like he was hurting a little.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Oneortwoweeks

Texas
“OMG!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

BEST omelettes ever. Huge portions. Large menu with something for everyone. Don't miss this breakfast place!

Cleveland, Ohio
“Good, Quick Breakfast”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Breakfast...what's not to love? This place was right around the corner from my hotel and I needed a quick place to grab breakfast before my flight. Since I was traveling alone I sat at the counter...maybe not such a great idea because it was really hot sitting that close to the kitchen. I do like to say a full house when I walk into an eatery for the first time and this place was FULL! I had the basic breakfast fare, eggs, potatoes, ham and toast because I didn't have a lot of time...it was very good. Sitting at the counter I got to see many of the other dishes going out and I will say I wish I would've gone with the crepes...they looked amazing!! Oh well, next time.

Montgomery, Pennsylvania
“Great omelettes”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

While visiting in San Diego, had breakfast at the Broken Yolk on 3 consecutive mornings. This is a moderately priced breakfast and lunch restaurant that is conveniently located near the Convention Center and offers a great selection of breakfast fare. Their omelettes are large (4-eggs) and include toast and fried potatoes/hash browns and a nice compote of fresh fruit (slice of cantaloupe and a chunk of watermelon, honeydew and pineapple). The price was around $9.00 for the omelette breakfast. Their other breakfast fare was quite varied and the stacks of pancakes were large...can't beat the price for the quality of food and it is definitely better than you'd pay in the local hotels for breakfast.

Get there early and you don't need to wait, but those who arrived around 9:30 or later had a bit of a wait as the place is quite popular.

rjsmother
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Broken Yolk Cafe came highly recommended by a local resident, plus I saw the restaurant showcased on the Food network so needless to say I was excited to try it. I was happy to see a small line of customers waiting outside the restaurant at 9:00 AM on Sunday morning. Usually a good sign. We were seated quickly and our server took our order in less than 5 minutes of us being seated. So far so good. I ordered Eggs Benedict and my husband Biscuits & Gravy both with hashbrowns. Both menu items were highlighted on the menu as being a BYC favorite. We did not wait long when our entrees were served to our table. The presentations of both dishes were pretty enough to photograph and the portion size was ample. The only problems were both of our meals were barely warm. Yuck! I hate it when my food is not served hot. Now you might think it was just my plate but my husband's was served that way too. How disappointing when everything else seemed so promising up to this point. To make matters worse, our server was passable, but acted as though she wished she wasn't working. No friendly greeting from her that was for sure. I might try another BYC location the next time I visit California, but never the one on 6th St in Down Town San Diego.