“Fun Place to Go”

Sloppy Joey's Pizza and Pasta
Ranked #2,168 of 5,141 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We order the steak bruschetta appetizer and drinks. The food was very good and the atmosphere was nice with lots of televisions. The service was great and the host drawing people in from the street was a really nice guy.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Huge servings but very slow service.

There are many many restaurants in 5th Ave, with lots of really good blackboard menu specials to lure in Monday diners and drinkers.

We wanted to eat at Nicky Rotten's as i had heard the burgers were fantastic. It was a Monday night, so Nicky Rotten's also offers happy hour bar prices from 3pm until closing ($3 beer, $3 well drinks) and a number of half priced appetizers.

We arrived at 8:45pm, and was informed that they were about to change from a restaurant to a bar at 9pm, so we wouldn't be able to eat as a family (with two underage teenagers). We were advised to eat next door at Sloppy Joey's, as it as owned by the same owner, and could serve off the Nicky Rotten's menu. Indeed, both restaurants are joined in the back.

We were sitting outside on the street side. with lots of people watching which was entertaining. Even on a Monday night, The Gaslamp still had plenty of activity.

Food was plentiful, high calorie, and inexpensive. The pasta and pizza selections at Sloppy Joey's looked really good when they were coming out, as did the burgers from the Nicky Rotten's menu. My daughter ordered Spinach ravioli from the Sloppy Joey's menu - with large pieces of ravioli swimming in a tomato based sauce. My wife ordered Nachos from the SJ menu. Another large serving, with lots and lots of melted cheese.

My son and I ordered burgers from the NR menu. Huge burgers which were absolutely delicious - although the burger buns and fries were cooling by the time they reached us. The Nachos were half price on Mondays at about $4.95++. The other entrees were all around the $10 price, so good value for quite a lot of food.

Unfortunately, Sloppy Joey's was a disappointment due to really slow service when the restaurant was not particularly busy. I had to go inside the restaurant a couple of times to find our server. This did not seem to be the case at the neighbouring Nicky Rotten's.

There are lots and lots of dining options on 5th Ave, and next time I will likely try another.

1  Thank Brett M
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were going to the restaurant next door and ended up getting seated here because they are both owned by the same people. We were allowed to order off of either menu and all chose to order from here!
It was a Monday and they have a great happy hour! Steak Bruschetta was delicious and half price!! Hubby gobbled up a pizza! I wanted to swim in my portbella mushroom pasta, AWESOME! Son had the lasagna and wouldn't share!
Can't wait to return!

Reviewed June 10, 2012

My mom and I went to San Diego for her 50th birthday and were very sad to be leaving the day we decided to choose a restaurant along the Gas Lamp Quarter to grab a quick lunch. With tons of choices, we decided we were in the mood for a little Italian-style dining. We stopped at Sloppy Joey's and were seated at a lovely spot on the patio. They are located beside their sister restaurant, Nicky Rottens Bar and Burger Joint, which we received the opportunity to select from both menus.

We were served by a lovely man named Sparky (hope I got that right), who was really fun and helpful. We just ordered soda, so nothing special in the drink department, however our meals were FANTASTIC! I ordered the chicken alfredo pizza which was dripping with cheese, chicken and sauce (not the healthiest selection..but I was living on the edge for the last day of vacation) and my Mom had the lasagna. The crust on my pizza was delicious and the entire thing was to-die-for. My Mom said that lasagna was among some of the best she's ever had. The portions were huge! I couldn't finish my pizza (took a few slices back to the hotel that I indulged in while waiting for the shuttle) but my Mom finished her lasagna because she couldn't put her fork down (I snuck a few bites and I understand why).

We had a lot of fun joking with Sparky throughout the service and enjoyed taking in the hustle and bustle of the Gas Lamp from their patio. Great food, excellent service and a fantastic way to spend the final meal in San Diego.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The prices were good (especially for downtown). The portions were very good and the pasta was tasty. Staff was friendly. My family and I enjoyed it.