WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa

Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa
Ranked #193 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
“Terrible Experience - Stay Away from this Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I came down to San Diego to relax during the New Years holiday. I have a very stressful job serving in the military and do not get much time to relax. On my last night, I had a female guest stay overnight.

In the morning when she left, she went to the front desk and claimed she was on the account and was checking out and without checking ID or asking who she was, the front desk clerk gave out some personal information about me.

I found out because I got a text from her shortly after. Appalled, I called down to the front desk, and the guy confessed and told me what happened. I asked if he had asked for ID or looked at the account and seen that there was no woman listed. He sheepishly said, “No”. He said he told his manager and that she would contact me to resolve this. No one ever contacted me.

Not only is giving out personal information against company policies, but it is ILLEGAL.

I attempted to contact a manager to resolve this but was given the run around multiple times. I called 7 times and spoke to 2 different people who claimed to be managers, and they assured me it would be resolved and that I would be refunded for my stay. No one ever called me back.

This situation has caused me great personal harm. That’s all I will say on here.

This hotel has untrained staff, terrible, ethics, and will not protect your personal privacy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelerGuy356
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear TravelerGuy356,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

A two-night stay upgraded to a larger-sized room overlooking the parking lot. The upgrade was a nice bonus - the room had a king-sized bed, sofa, coffee table, desk+office chair, TV/dresser, microwave, refrigerator, bar sink, coffee maker. Well-lit and clean bathroom with enough counter space and many fluffy white towels. The desk lamp had a couple outlets, though it would have been nice if the nightstand lamps also did too.
I was able to open the window all the way to air the strong cigarette smell out of the room in a few hours (the only negative). The room temperature is controlled by an older window unit that adjusted immediately.
The complimentary breakfast is the usual HIX fare with a large variety to suit most picky eaters. Unfortunately, the pancake machine was down and my favorite cinnamon rolls were not available.
The stairs only lead to the outside on the first floor with no re-entry. You must enter the lobby for the only elevator to go up. The wait wasn't too long most of the time and the front desk staff always had a 'hello' as you passed.
Location was quite convenient - easy access to two small craft breweries (Alesmith and Green Flash), 15S to 8 for Pacific Beach/Ocean Beach and/or downtown.
Overall, a great and comfortable stay for two at an affordable price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SharkeyMilo
Laura C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
SharkeyMilo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! Since your stay, there has been a change in management and over the next 3-5 months we will be executing renovations at the hotel. We take your comments seriously and will do our best to ensure that there are no hiccups during your next stay. We look forward to accommodating you in the future and thank you again for your sharing your experience with us!

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here with my family for 1 night on our way to a Mexican Rivera Cruise.

The rooms are very nice, beds, sheets, pillows very comfortable. They have a nice little breakfast that is included with your stay. They have things like coffee, tea, milk, juices, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, cereal, bagels, English muffins, toast, and some pastries.

The parking lot seemed to be large enough and safe; they have free wifi in the rooms. I can’t really think of anything bad to say, so I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jvtuff
Dear Jvtuff,

Thank your for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor! We strive to make Great Hotels Guests Love and I am so happy that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Laura C
Front Office Manager
Holiday Inn Express Mira Mesa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Not only is this location central to all the wonderful things to do in San Diego, the beaches, zoo, Wild Animal Park , etc, they were all VERY nice!!
We were greeted WITH A GENUINE SMILE every time we came in, along with a "how are you?"!! The place was clean, and the comp breakfast was everything it should be. THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT FOLKS!!! The rooms were good size, with everything in working order. We'll stay again!!

• Stayed December 2012
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

It's clean and recent remodel, typical to most HIEs. The little details make a huge difference.

Very late arrival (2am) I get to my room to find door propped open with security bar. Front desk explained away as "Sometimes housekeeping does that". - If they really do, they should stop. For so many reasons.

About 6:45am the constant beeping of backing up construction equipment, and shouting of workers right outside window ends my chances of any more sleep.

The noise turned out to be a blessing, as I lay in bed staring at ceiling, my wake up call never arrived. Could have had catastrophic consequences. As a business traveler who lives on the road, that phone call is normally the trigger I rely on.

One last nuisance was the rate I was charged was $30 more than advertised flexible rate online. As a Platinum Priority Club member, properties have always given that rate on the late night drive-up stays without reservations I make frequently. At 2am, the room wasn't going to be sold. This property saw it as a chance to gouge.

Others might have had great experiences here, which is a testament to the HIE brand. But this property was only ordinary by HIE standards, and with the above mentioned issues, I would not choose it for future stays.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor until construction activities are done, and try to get on side of building away f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mike S

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Had to see a client who's office was nearby. I arrived at 1030 pm, front desk staff got me checked in quickly.
On second floor, 265, no issues with double queen room once I turned the air on.

Hotel has access to "gym" at adjoining hotel - very sad, small room, one treadmill, bike, and elliptical and old universal, room was hot.

Free breakfast was hot and plentiful even though pancake machine wasn't working.

Would stay here again

• Stayed July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Nice Holiday Inn Express located just north of San Diego (about 10 mins to hotel circle in SD). Rooms were clean and spacious. Comfortable queen beds. TV was a bit older and small (but they do offer multiple HBO channels). Breakfast was good. Coffee, milk, yogurt, cinnamon rolls, eggs, egg omelets, bacon, sausage, biscuits & gravy, cereal, muffins, bagels, pancakes, toast, fruit are just some of the items that were available during our stay. There were also LOTS of other eating places within a short drive. Denny’s, Island Burger, Applebee’s, On The Border, IHOP, In-N-Out, Arby’s, Jack In The Box and many other food places were all nearby. Grocery & drug stores were also close and convenient. Harrah’s Resort and Casino was also only a scenic 35 minute drive away. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family