“Cheaply renovated motel”

Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld
Ranked #134 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“Cheaply renovated motel”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Ended up staying here instead of the Holiday Inn Express because the price was $40 cheaper per night and most of the Pacific Beach area was booked. Positive: price, SOME free parking, coffee and newer furnishings. Negative: this is just a cheaply renovated motel, rooms are very small, no parking saturday night after dinner, wall mounted a/c units mounted on the ground practically, low shower heads and poor selection of breakfast items.

• Stayed May 2013
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
While we value your feedback, we respectfully disagree with your comment "Cheaply renovated motel." Our facility went through an extensive remodel last year that included brand new furnishings, upgraded flooring, flat screen TV's and all new guestroom amenities such as microwaves, mini-fridges and Air Conditioning units. Although our parking is limited, it is always free.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I chose this place because it had decent reviews (about 3.5 ratings), inexpensive rates, and a non-smoking facility. Upon check-in, I was surprised at how many smokers were standing outside of my room - above and around me. There were a lot of cigarette butts dropped outside my door too. Though my room smelled of cigarettes coming from outside, I couldn't open my window to aerate the room. One of the main factors why I chose this non-smoking faciliity was because I'm sensitive to smoke.

The room was a bit dark, the linens did not feel fresh, and the restroom was a little musty. The walls were thin so you could hear your neighbors talk and walk all through the night. The free breakfast was okay but a little on the pale and cold side. There was plenty of parking though and the staff was nice. I think the highlight of our stay was the good food served at the few restaurants next door; be sure to make early reservations or you won't be eating until close to 10 PM.

A one night's stay was long enough.

Room Tip: Top floor might have better rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofMgmt, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review and giving us your feedback. Even though all of our guestrooms are non-smoking, we do occasionally have guest that stay with us and smoke outside their rooms. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. You will be happy to know that we have added some additional items to our breakfast offerings and hope you will visit us again.
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were very satisfied with our stay in this no frills Inn. The only complaint is that we ended up with a room we didn't need. Normally, in hotel lingo, a "double" room indicates a room for 2 people and a "single" is for 1 person. At the Red Roof Inn, apparently they have a "double Queen" room (for up to 4 people) and a "single Queen" room (for up to 2 people). We didn't reserve so, the 2 of us walked in and stood at the counter requesting a "double room" and without any explanation or question, the hotel staff assigned us a "double Queen" room with 2 double beds. We didn't realize this until check-out. Maybe it's partially our fault and perhaps we have been traveling and living too much in countries where hotels and hostels have on occasion extra beds but usually charge as a single/double/triple room. Just good to know and avoid spending extra money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. The majority of our guest refer to a "Double" as wanting a room with two beds, but we would have glady accommodated a change in your preference. Please don't hesitate to let us know. See you soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks, Sun - Fri. They are a legitimate nonsmoking hotel with free internet and continental breakfast. The location is great, right off of I-5 with a few restaurants within walking distance (Rubio's, In-N-Out, Wienerschnitzel, Thai, 7-Eleven).

Pet friendly! They offer a little pet area with bags. There are no extra charges for pets; like a deposit or nightly pet rate. The side streets are great for walking your pet.

The rooms are a bit small; however updated and modern. They have a mini refrigerator, microwave, great storage and outlets for electronics, nice shower, & flat screen tv (with full cable).

Everyone is super friendly; from the front desk to housekeeping. Tim (at the front desk) went above and beyond and made my stay so pleasant. Not only is is friendly, but he's knowledgeable about the area and is so awesome with pets. My little one, Bella, looked for him every time we passed the office!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We appreciate your praise of our hotel and staff. We couldn't have said it better ourselves. I have shared your comments with Tim, and I am sure that he misses Bella too. Thank you for staying with us.
Fort Huachuca, Arizona
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I want to thank the people of Red Roof Inn for taking care of Military personnel like myself and my family as we were traveling through on our way to our new home in Arizona. Great Rates, Breakfast until 1000 and great staff. Clean and spacious rooms and NO FEE for our dog!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for the service that you have given to our great country! It was an honor to have served you and we hope to see you back soon!
Las Vegas, New Mexico
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The service was great, the room was great, and the access (location) was great. It was right off the highway (I-5) and very close to SeaWorld and the beaches. I loved the room, it was modern and fresh. The room was small but that didn't bother me at all. I wasn't into the breakfast cuz I'm a little picky so I won't blame Red Roof for that. Next time we go to San Diego, we will stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback. We're glad you had a great stay with us! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit, and we hope you'll be impressed with some of the additions we are making to our breakfast offerings.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is in a very good location, the room rate is economical, the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. They allow pets and are very accommodating to them. My first evening a staff member, Tim approached me while walking my pups to inquire if I was comfortable in my room which was very appreciated. Secilia was very nice and accommodating in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: I would select a room in the middle as opposed to the ends as the staircase can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for giving us your valuable feedback. I will share your comments with Tim and Secilia, and we hope to see you back soon.