“Overall rating”

Ranked #133 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Overall rating”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Good location, clean rooms, good value. One bed rooms are very small. Would stay again when in San Diego area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I found this hotel to look average outside, however I was pleasantly surprised to see the renovation work that had been done inside. My wife and I stayed on Sept 12th the room was nice but was small and the staff was kind and moved us to a larger one. Everything was fine until we realized there were more guest in our room with us. BUGS... Earwigs to be exact, I complained to the clerk, she said "yes I saw one here too" I quietly killed two of them as a Veteran I've had some experience with this overseas..... but then one crawled on my wife while she lay in bed... OMG! My wife couldn't take it.... We moved to the hotel across the street for the rest of the week. I never heard from management and just consider the money to be a loss. I can no longer recommend my fellow Veterans Stay with them. I used to always send people there. How disappointing this experience was.

Room Tip: find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darryl B
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love how close we are to everything we were about 15 minutes to just anywhere in San Diego. We came to see Sea World & the San Diego Zoo. They offered discounts to both attractions and the staff was so helpfull. When we called down for maid service they sent someone up within 5 minutes & everything was so clean. I love the renovation the wood floors are the best. Only bad experience was the noise 1 night we called the FD & the man working Dave I think was his name was very rude when we told him about it. He said the people had just checked in to give them a couple minutes to settle down but there was a nice way of saying this & he didn't seem very "customer friendly" but everyone else was great even housekeeping they were very nice I would recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Northern California
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I booked a room here mainly because of the location and that the rooms were recently renovated and did not have carpeting. The rooms did not have a bad odor like a lot of motel rooms.

However, even though there was an elevator, it was not working while I was there, so I had to haul my suitcase up the stairs to the second floor. Since my room was in the rear of the motel, it was fairly quiet at night. It was a very small room, and was difficult to move around in. Since I was alone, that was less of a problem. If I had had someone else with me, it would have been very cramped. The bathroom was very large, however, and had a tub.

The bed was too soft for me. The towels in the room had stains on them and there was only one washcloth that was stained and partly shredded, so I asked for additional towels and washcloths, which seemed cleaner. the maid I spoke with was very helpful.

The wireless internet never worked for me while I was there. When I complained to the front desk clerk, she just said she would give me the tech support number I would have to call to try to get it to work. Since I did not have time for that, I never got connected.

I did see a couple of bugs in the room while I was there, but nothing major. I went to the breakfast room one morning only, and found the selection very limited, so did not try to eat there again.

The rates were not very low, since it was a holiday weekend. The weekday rate was about half of the Saturday night rate. The location was good for me, but don't think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the rear for more quiet at night. The rooms with two beds appeared much larger than...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
RedRoofMgmt, General Manager at Red Roof Inn San Diego - Pacific Beach/SeaWorld, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank for your input. I would like to clarify the internet service issue that you had, since it may help you regardless of which hotel you may stay at in the future. If you are encountering internet access issues on your laptop, typically hotel mgmt will check that it is not a system wide outage and then make sure it is not a localized outage. Once those are eliminated as a possibility, the High Speed Internet company that the hotel is using usually provides individualized support to guest specific problems (it could be your settings etc.) This is why our Guest Service Reps would have referred you then to the support line.
San Jose, California
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family of three stayed here overnight on our way from SF to SD. All went very well; starting with friendly and efficient check in, lovely modern furnishings in a spotlessly clean room, nice pool (although small). Immediate area a bit boring but very short distance to all amenities Seaworld, Old Town, Pacific Beach, La Jolla etc. If you are looking for a hotel in San Diego, then look no further.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the positive feedback, and we sincerely hope you visit us again soon in "America's Finest City!"
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I picked this hotel mostly because it was pet friendly but the hotel in general was great. The rooms dont have carpet so it didnt have gross smells from other pets. The woman who checked us in also gave us a list of pet friendly parks and dog beaches which was very helpful. The breakfast was standard continental but great for a quick morning bite before going about our day. We had a few minor issues like the lights in our room not working but the front desk lady (red hair) came up within a few minutes and fixed the issue. Parking was tight but it was free and since we didnt brin our own computer we used the one in the lobby. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed July 2012