“Close to beach and modern room at a great price!”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #158 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Buffalo, New York
“Close to beach and modern room at a great price!”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Motel was a block from the beach and in a great, safe area. Room was on the smaller side but perfect for two people. Room was very modern, had a comfortable bed and a hot shower. We were also allowed to check in at noon the day we arrived which was great and the staff was very friendly. Only drawback was parking- there were plenty of spots available during the day and around dinner time but when we got back to the motel at 10:30PM all the spots were full so we had to park on the street on the next block over. It wasn't a huge problem but worth noting. We would definitely stay again :)

1 Thank tlm7198
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Yes, the parking is limited, but we do have our sister property located just one block away. I realize it's not at the property you are staying, but it is about a 30 second walk away. Generally, there are enough spaces there to prevent you from parking ion the street. I hope you will stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pasadena, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This property offers a good bargain for the money. It is comparable to the larger chain hotels in cleanliness and provisions but for considerably less, and within easy walking distance of the beach and good dining. Parking is free but space is limited requiring a hike of a few blocks to their sister property. Our only complaint was that we were given what was probably the worst room (106) in the place for our first night; it was so small we could scarcely walk around the bed and there was no room for any other furniture. There was no counter space in the bathroom, and you could bump your head on the shower door sitting on the toilet. In addition, it is located by the parking lot and subject to loud noise from late night drunken partiers. We inquired about other rooms the next morning and spent the remaining three nights of our stay in room 126 facing the back wall of the property. No view at all, but lots of sunlight, very quiet, and twice as large as the previous room with a desk and extra counter space. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. Just be sure to check the room out first.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the back (beach) side as these are quieter and in our experience much larger.
1 Thank NWNativegrl
We are very happy that we were able to accommodate you more to your liking after the first night. Sometimes, depending on availability, our options can be very limited. Even though the rooms types are the same, there are obvious differences in the rooms. We do hope you will visit us again soon!
Texas, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I give this 4 stars only bc it did not have free wifi, but despite that great looking hotel both inside/outside and very friendly staff. Rooms looked brand new, were clean, and were great. Hotel also in great location! Walking distance to several shops and restaurants and only a couple of minutes away from other beaches.

It was my first time out to PB and glad I had a good place to stay. So glad I found a great deal on Groupon but even then I would have not minded paying their average rate! Well worth it

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon as well, and hope you will stay with us again in the near future! Please do let us know you have stayed with us previously, as this gives you some discount off of our rack rate. Thank you again for your comments!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I bought this hotel stay on Groupon and was a little worried about what I might find when I arrived. I am happy to say it's one of the BEST places I have stayed. The room was very clean and pretty! The shower was amazing and the staff is as pleasant as anyone can be! We have stayed in much more expensive places and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. The location is amazing. Very near the Ocean and the Boardwalk! Many shops and restaurants are walking distance. Love, Love, Love everything about the place! One slight issue?? No free WI Fi. Not a problem for me but I think it was $6. and they did say they are working on making it a free charge in the near future. I used my phone so it was not an issue for me.

Room Tip: We stayed in the One Story building and loved the quiet. Parking very close as well to this building...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you!!! Your comments are very nice, and we are striving to be a good clean property with a very friendly staff. The WiFi will be free very soon, and the $6 charge will go away. We definitely hope to see you again soon!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Friendly staff, spacious and clean bedroom, close to everything you need in PB, awesome location in an amazing city ! I definitely recommend it to all...
Thanks to Allison who helped me and my friend to find this great hotel to stay in.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
I'm very happy we were able to help you and Allison with your hotel stay while enjoying our great city! Thank you!!
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Booked our room last minute. Front desk service was extremely accommodating. Even upgraded our room. Rooms were very clean. Location was short walk to beach, shops and restaurants. Park the car until the drive home.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Elephino
When we can, we are generally very happy to upgrade a guest!! Especially when the guest has either had a long trip, or has a very special occasion they are celebrating. Thank you very much for staying with us! We hope you will book in advance the next time!
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I had a bad experience with this hotel. I said to the guy at check-in that I opted to pay my stay in cash, and he still asked for my credit card. When I checked out (I actually paid in cash), an amount of money (the same as in the bill) was still taken from, and then returned to my credit card, resulting in a loss of EUR 23 ($30) from my bank account. The woman at reception desk told me that the process is automatic and she can do nothing. It's really unacceptable, and this is the first time in my life I've experienced such ironic problem with a hotel. I believe that this was a mistake and doubt that the receptionist was honest with her answer.

I detected the loss several days after I left the hotel, and tried to contact the hotel for this. Surprisingly, I didn't find any contacting email of the hotel. I tried to contact one of their receptionists for notifying the problem (I get her email address during my stay). However, I haven't received any response so far.

Regarding the hotel, it's very far from downtown and main attractions of San Diego. The wall is thin so that you may wake up during the night for the noise from the neighbours. The window opens to a shared corridor so that we had to close it everytime.

Given the conditions of the hotel, and its unprofessional staffs, I would never choose this hotel again when I return to San Diego.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We are still sorry about the charge, and the immediate credit back to your credit card. It was definitely a mistake by us, and we do take responsibility for that. The good news is that I have agreed to pay for your loss and again do apologize for the brief mistake. We still hope you will try us again. Thank you for taking the time to make your comments!