“Great place to spend Christmas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of PB Surf Beachside Inn

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #147 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Great place to spend Christmas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I enjoyed my stay very much. It was my first visit and I could not have been happier. The staff members were all exceptional and they were there to help me and answer my questions. The breakfast was delicious and the room clean. I loved that it was so close to the beach and the value can't be beat. Lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance. I look forward to returning in the spring. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Ok, we'll see you again this spring! Please let us know your preferences when you reserve with us directly. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

One block away from beautiful beach, fantastic price. Updated/renovated interiors, but the construction is not great quality and it's fairly obvious. Walls are thin, and the hotel is on a very busy street, so make sure you get a room that faces away from the street. Otherwise you will be up all night. We moved after the first night and were very happy after we moved.

After the noise issue got resolved, we were super happy with the hotel, especially at $40/night! AMAZING price! GREAT location! Fairly comfortable and fairly updated interior, VERY clean!

Parking is a bit of an issue, but it is pretty much everywhere in San Diego. It's very tight. If they get full there is a sister hotel with tons of parking less than a block away you can park at.

Overall very satisfied.

Room Tip: Get one facing away from the street!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Well, that was a great rate! There are times that we do run a very nice special for the down times. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of that. I hope that you noticed that we do not care about the rate when it comes to giving you a nice room. In fact, I'm certain, after the first night, we did everything we could to satisfy you as our guest! Thank you for your comments!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

It is located steps away from the beach, shops and restaurants nearby. Great value for our week stay. The room is a nice size with microwave and a mini fridge which come handy with leftovers.

Overall it's a great space and we will return.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Susan E
Thank you very much for your very nice comments about the refrigerator and microwave. Every room has these and a coffee maker as well. And, yes, only a half of a block away from the beach!
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Good location, clean but simple rooms. The rooms are smaller than average so I would suggest upgrading to a suite. Continental breakfast was just Danish's, muffins and scones. Safe location and reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank stephanie b
That is a perfect suggestion for a larger room! Thank you for staying with us!
Lincoln, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed in Room 122 which is a room with two beds that opens into the courtyard. The room was immaculate! It included a coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave. No hair dryer but luckily I had brought mine with me. Staff in the office were very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent. I was shocked to see how close to the beach the inn is located since the price was so reasonable. The location is so great and is so close to everything just about every demographic will enjoy. There are plenty of clubs and hot spots in the surrounding area for those looking to party. For someone like me who was traveling with a teenage son, there were plenty of places for families close by as well. Never had a problem with parking the four nights I stayed here. I think anyone that books the PB Surf will be pleasantly surprised. I know I plan to stay here every time I travel to the San Diego area. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us, and for your nice comments. Normally, we do have a blow dryer in the room, but there are a couple that the lighted mirror took up too much space to install. For these, we have extras at the front desk, but are happy you were prepared anyway. We hope to see you again very soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

While I can't say that I received the great customer service some of the other reviewers received, I will say that the place was way better than I anticipated. Maybe I read some really old reviews and the place has since had a lot of updates.

Our room was spacious, had lots of storage space (dresser, 2 side tables, a desk and a reasonably big closet). There was a refrigerator, mircowave and coffee pot. (For you semi serious coffee drinkers, there is a Starbucks about 6 or 8 blocks down the street.) It was super clean. They bed was great. We had a king size, super comfy bed. (Also, I'm a single woman traveling with kids, safety was not a concern. I felt safe at the hotel and in the area.)

EXCELLENT BEACH LOCATION. I wish I could type that in bigger letters.

Down sides for me were few. I was given a handicap room, which would be an excellent room for a handicap person, but for me, it meant less surface space in the bathroom and a wet bathroom floor because of the roll in shower. I was really quite unhappy about that part (considering I was assigned this room because I extended my stay).

They were always short on towels (I started with exactly two in my room, but luckily I was located close to the laundry room so I was able to get clean ones every day (since I had to soak up the water from the roll in shower).

The WiFi is not free and was irregular. This one really caught me off guard because recenlty all of the places I have visited have free wifi.

There wasn't an onsite laundry room, but there was a great laundromat two blocks away (with free WiFi.) Actually, there are laundromats everywhere in the area (just like bars and tatoo parlors).

Parking is limited, so some nights you will be searching for a spot on the street.

If you are on the fence about choosing this affordable, near the beach location, no need to be. It is a great spot for the money.

Room Tip: if you don't need it, but happen to get a handicap room, you would be much happier if you ask to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sorry about the handicapped room. We are required to have a few of them for obvious reasons, and they are rarely utilized by someone who needs or requires one. However, the only real difference is the shower. The shower is much larger and is made for wheel chair access, where the others have a step over type of entry surrounded by glass rather than a curtain. If you request to not have one of those rooms, we would be more than happy to accommodate you. And, I can understand the water situation as well. I'm still not convinced the angle of the floor is sufficient to keep the water in the shower. As for the Internet, I am seriously working on making this complimentary. Thank you very much for staying with us!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights at the begining of November. Despite the long the flight from Toronto its was great staying here in a place where its very clean and modern. From the moment we checked in the staff was amazing, as they were very kind and made the check in process a breeze. The staff were very attentive to our needs and we defientely will come here again the next time we visit San Diego.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew O
I'm glad we were able to make your experience with us a very nice one! Especially the part about travelling and being able to get checked into your room promptly! Thank you!