“Mixed Feelings....”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #166 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here because of Trip Advisor recommendations. I booked my reservation a couple of months ago through the property website and was under the impression it was prepaid in full on the company credit card. When I arrived it was NOT paid and the credit card i had used was not even on file. Since luckily it was during business hours I was able to get my work credit card and get it paid, but that was sort of annoying. I believe I read about problems with the online booking site on a previous review of the property.

The room was clean and comfortable; however the towel rack fell off, the a/c fan didn't work. Unfortunately we were inside the courtyard, which is small and echoes. While we were there several other guests decided to party until the wee hours with their doors open in the courtyard. Since we had to leave our windows open (no fan), this was not good. Since the office closes at 10 or 11 the property is unsupervised after that and if there are wild parties going on, then you are on your own. And in the courtyard here were loud drunk people at 2am 3 out of the 4 nights we were there. I read in previous reviews that if you ask for a room on the outside of the building, then the echo problem isn't so bad. Oh, and then when the cleaning staff comes in the morning, that's incredibly loud too...Beware the inside of the courtyard.

The location is fantastic, a couple of blocks off the beach and very close to numerous great restaurants. As I said, the room is clean and comfortable. I'm wondering where they got the picture on the website of the room you can see the ocean from the sliding glass door of the room? Near as I can tell PB Surf has a building in-between it and the actual beach...not sure the website is completely honest.

I loved San Diego and will definitely be back...before I stay at this hotel again i will carefully shop what my other options are...

Room Tip: Beware inside the courtyard. Request a room on the outside of the room!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

There are times when noise levels do rise, but I do have personnel there that takes care of these issues. And, yes, the courtyard does allow for some echoing, but is requested almost every time by our return guests. I do apologize for the issue, but we do our best to try to keep guests quiet in the late night. In regards to your reservation, I always recommend confirming your reservation two or three days prior to arrival. Again, we have systems in place to help assure we are confirming every last reservation. Unfortunately, sometimes a mistake is made. By confirming, the chances are all but eliminated. Thank you very much for staying with us. I hope you will try us again!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was one of the most reasonably priced hotels in Pacific beach the weekend we went. While we generally prefer to stay south of Crystal Pier, we will make an exception to stay here again in the future. The room was great--the front part was a bit small and stuffy, but it was great to have the option of that separate living room area. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was so clean. This place was a diamond in the rough compared to other hotels in the area. Comfortable rooms combined with a friendly staff make this place somewhere I would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

That's what we think this property is as well, "a diamond in the rough!" Thank you very much for your comments. We look forward to your return visit with us!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Great location in PB and within walking distance to all the bars and eateries. Plus only 1 block away from the beach! Room was clean and nice.

Minor issues:
- no free WiFi
- limited parking

Overall great place to stay!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you! The location is pretty much perfect!!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at the PB Surf. I found reviews online and was a little hesitant but decided to give it a try. I found the rooms to be well kept up and comfortable, their new remodel was an excellent renovation. My only complaint was the shower didn't have a ledge to keep water from going all over the bathroom floor but but actually slanted away from the drain. This was easily fixed with a towel. Also I didn't realize but they have a 72 hour cancelation so be warned if you are trying to cancel a couple days before. They have Wifi now but it has an extra fee. Luckily I just used my personal hotspot. A nice stay and they seem to be improving things. Probably will stay again next time I'm in San Diego.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. Anyone who knows me knows that I will let you out of your 72 hour cancellation policy if you have a good reason, and have never charged one guest for leaving early. I have always said it is better to satisfy you now to have a better chance of you returning to us in the future! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at PB Surf this past weekend. The room was spacious and very clean. No bedbugs (I always check)!! Our room had a kitchenette but since it did not come equipped with a basic pot/pan set and utensils, we went out to eat. For extended vacations, that kitchen would be great to have. The room was street-side, but the walls blocked out most traffic noise. Staff was very friendly and informative. Don't waste your time looking for another vacation spot--this is it!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

I like that!! I wish everyone would just decide to stay with us at the PB Surf Beachside inn! We'll see you again soon, and we will have kitchen equipment for you as well!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. He had made a reservation through Living Social a few months back. When we arrived for check in, we were told that they did not have our reservation in the system. Luckily we had our confimation printed out. The front desk agent took the confirmation and created a new reservation for us. (good thing they weren't sold out because we would have been out of luck). I explained to the agent that it was our anniversary weekend and I think he could tell that I was a little annoyed about the reservation mishap. I asked if any upgrades were available. He gave us the keys to a great suite room. Being a hospitality professional, I was very impressed with his professionalism and ability to turn (what could have been a very bad situation) into a great guest experience.

The room was comfortable and spacious. The size of the tv's suprised me (they were huge for a hotel room!). Bottles of water would have been a nice in room amenity. Vending machines were adequate for a limited service property. I would definetly stay here again on my next trip to PB.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Yes, sometimes mistakes can be a good thing!! I'm really glad we were able to make your anniversary with us a nice one! We hope to see you again for your next anniversary!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 day stay since it was easy to park the car and easily walk the few steps to the beach and restaurants. The room was large, very clean, comfortable bed, refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom and shower were HUGE! I only wished there was someplace to place my makeup, toothbrush, etc. With such a large bathroom it seems strange there is no storage. The modern tv takes up one wall and would be much nicer if they had HD programming. We thought it odd for such a nice place that there is no wi-fi available unless you pay. The room was very quiet, other than hearing people above us coming in late at night stomping, slamming doors, etc. Parking spaces are limited, but we found it ok each day. We were told if the the lot was full there was more parking available at another hotel up the street. The donut/roll and coffee for breakfast was merely a token, but appreciated. They also provided a US Today newspaper! We did not see a pool. If you want to go to the beach, bring your own chairs and beach towels and the access is very close. Groceries are a couple of blocks south at Ralph's. It is an easy walk two miles to Mission Beach Belmont Park,

Room Tip: There are lots of places to eat close by. Park the car and walk, enjoy the sounds,surf and ocean. We...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chriskaia

I imagine we will be going to HD programming sometime in the future. But for now, I have most of the 50 inch flat screen TVs from one of our properties that has. We do have a swimming pool available at our sister property located a block away or about a two minute walk. We are working on the details now, and hope the rooms will be more user-friendly soon! Thank you very much!