“Great Location, Nice Renovation”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #151 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Chandler, Arizona
“Great Location, Nice Renovation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. He had made a reservation through Living Social a few months back. When we arrived for check in, we were told that they did not have our reservation in the system. Luckily we had our confimation printed out. The front desk agent took the confirmation and created a new reservation for us. (good thing they weren't sold out because we would have been out of luck). I explained to the agent that it was our anniversary weekend and I think he could tell that I was a little annoyed about the reservation mishap. I asked if any upgrades were available. He gave us the keys to a great suite room. Being a hospitality professional, I was very impressed with his professionalism and ability to turn (what could have been a very bad situation) into a great guest experience.

The room was comfortable and spacious. The size of the tv's suprised me (they were huge for a hotel room!). Bottles of water would have been a nice in room amenity. Vending machines were adequate for a limited service property. I would definetly stay here again on my next trip to PB.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Yes, sometimes mistakes can be a good thing!! I'm really glad we were able to make your anniversary with us a nice one! We hope to see you again for your next anniversary!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 day stay since it was easy to park the car and easily walk the few steps to the beach and restaurants. The room was large, very clean, comfortable bed, refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom and shower were HUGE! I only wished there was someplace to place my makeup, toothbrush, etc. With such a large bathroom it seems strange there is no storage. The modern tv takes up one wall and would be much nicer if they had HD programming. We thought it odd for such a nice place that there is no wi-fi available unless you pay. The room was very quiet, other than hearing people above us coming in late at night stomping, slamming doors, etc. Parking spaces are limited, but we found it ok each day. We were told if the the lot was full there was more parking available at another hotel up the street. The donut/roll and coffee for breakfast was merely a token, but appreciated. They also provided a US Today newspaper! We did not see a pool. If you want to go to the beach, bring your own chairs and beach towels and the access is very close. Groceries are a couple of blocks south at Ralph's. It is an easy walk two miles to Mission Beach Belmont Park,

Room Tip: There are lots of places to eat close by. Park the car and walk, enjoy the sounds,surf and ocean. We...
1 Thank chriskaia
I imagine we will be going to HD programming sometime in the future. But for now, I have most of the 50 inch flat screen TVs from one of our properties that has. We do have a swimming pool available at our sister property located a block away or about a two minute walk. We are working on the details now, and hope the rooms will be more user-friendly soon! Thank you very much!
Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The is a great motel, that has been renovated to a nice standard. This is a full renovation, with clean modern bathrooms and décor. This was the nicest motel we stayed in along our road trip down highway one. Never understand why people moan about the free breakfast, yes it was very basic, but it's free and anything more than a pastry and a coffee is just a nice bonus.
This hotel would have scored excellent if it hadn't been for the lack of towels and reception. We had no bath towels in our room on the first night and then on the second we had no hand towels ... clearly you get one or the other in less you go and ask for them. Also, it was not the friendliest of welcome from reception. Also, upon waiting to check out, I waited ages for what sounded like a personal conversation to be concluded before I was even acknowledged, with no apologies when finally putting the phone down. Also, there was no chair in the room, despite there being a desk?
The biggest attraction to this hotel is the proximity to the beach! It is less than half a block from the beach and also a short walk from great restaurants and bars.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay again despite the weird towel situation and staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorry about the check out. I'm still working and stressing the customer service, and that is something that will always be a priority at the PB Surf Beachside Inn! And too, we had a serious issue with linens for about three weeks when all but one of our washers went down at the same time. Unfortunately, it took that long for us to replace them. But, I am very happy to hear that you liked everything else!! We will continue to work on the customer service! Thank you!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on our Honeymoon in California and would definitely recommend it. The room was spacious and very clean and modern. Literally 1 minute walk from the beach. Staff were friendly and the free on site parking was good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us!!! And really glad we were able to make it a nice memorable stay for you! I hope we will see you again on your first anniversary!
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Convenient yes, but we thought the room design was quite awkward. While the PB Surf has been recently remodeled, they clearly didn't use an expert in hotel room design. I don't like to focus on the negative, but sometimes future customers want to know what they're getting when they're making a decision to reserve a hotel room.

First off, the lighting in our room was poor. The light over the bathroom sink barely illuminated, and the two lamps in the bedroom really didn't seem adequate. I would have suggested adding a light kit to the ceiling fan in the bedroom, but 3 times we hit the moving fan blades when we were getting dressed - - ouch - - so I don't think that's an option! Also, the bathroom sink is out in the living area (we were in the one bedroom suite), so it's kind of odd if you have other guests over to visit. Nothing like blow drying your hair while everyone sits and watches. . . My only other suggestion would be to avoid the high top table and bar height chairs. They were uncomfortable and didn't create a very socializing environment with the people seated on the much lower sofa.

Next, you could barely fit in the shower due to the awkward way the door opened (it should have been a slider door to save on space), which also would have prevented the horrible water damage going on, due to the odd shower door. (There was no rubber seal.) The water splashes out all over the tile floor and on the wood bathroom door trim, which is now completely warped & ruined. And did I mention the ants! Holy cow, I must have killed 80+ ants in the bathroom, yikes! They were coming up through the floor, where all the wood has been warped along the door jam near the shower.

One other thing that was a little annoying was, we were in the building over their commercial laundry area. It was quite noisy and it seemed like they were constantly doing laundry, which I understand, but it also seemed to affect the water pressure in our room.

Next, the continental breakfast is kind of a joke. The coffee creamers are powdered, and the "juice" is nondescript. The pastries were OK, but there is absolutely no fruit. I would like to see the PB Surf utilize the area between the 2 buildings as a communal outdoor breakfast area. There's room for lots of nice picnic tables and it's an area really rather under served. But I would only suggest that if they decided to enhance their breakfast offering. If they did, they could charge higher rates. As it stands, I don't know why they bother to offer breakfast, coffee would be enough. Maybe PB Surf could team up with Kono's down at the Crystal Pier . . give everyone a voucher for a breakfast and they'd be off the hook. The breakfast at Kono's was awesome, and 2 people can split their huge breakfast burritos!

We also thought it would be cool if they painted a cool mural on the breezeway walls, something neat that pertains to Pacific Beach. Also, don't forget to check the pop machines. Almost all of the sodas we wanted to purchase were empty.

Lastly, even though we did get into our room earlier than expected, our check-in was a little rough. Alfa couldn't find our reservation at first, even though it was booked on their website. Other reviewers had warned about this, so at least we were prepared. After digging deeper, she finally found it. Alfa was in the office every morning that we were there, but I never felt warmly welcomed by her. I think greeting the guests should be a bigger priority. However, I will say that the cleaning staff seemed really friendly! One final comment, twice when I was in the small office to get coffee, I could hear the manager interviewing potential staff members. It was a little weird, I think it should be done in a more private fashion.

Room Tip: Avoid 225 & 226, both over the laundry room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Well, I'm sorry you didn't like the property, the room, or the breakfast. We used a professionals from engineering, architects, and an interior designer to help make what was a fairly nonfunctional property in the past. We went through a lot just to get the bathrooms enlarged so that it would be comfortable for my guests. We moved walls, drains, floor levels, etc.. just to get the most out of what we had. I think too with the lighted mirror in the bathroom, it has made it quite easy to see. But, I agree, in the first phase of our renovation, we did not realize the lighting issue in the room and after phase one, decided to go to a recessed lighting design. The décor, beds, furniture, is all of a very nice quality, and is mostly custom made. I also agree about the shower. I think the handle could have been placed in a more convenient place.

The breakfast is a very simple continental style breakfast that consists of Danish, muffins, and other pastries delivered to us each morning. We have a choice of two juices, coffee, and a selection of teas. We have made no promises of anything more, and quite frankly, there is a serious space issue.

In regards to the meeting. I feel that being around the guests can be extremely helpful to my guests and to my staff.

I hope you will try us again, as I believe we are a very nice choice.
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of our holiday. It was relatively easy to find & we managed to grab the last parking space. Parking is tight but they do have more spaces at a sister hotel down the road. Check-in was easy & the staff were friendly enough. Our room was located on the ground floor next to the main walk way through the hotel. We weren't disturbed that much but I would've preferred a room upstairs away from passing foot fall & to feel more secure. We were able to keep the shutters shut to stop anyone looking in especially when we had the light on. The room itself was very clean with a huge comfy bed & lovely bathroom. The decor is modern & bright. Everything worked, but there was a daily rate for wi-fi. Breakfast was included in the price but was a very simple buffet - pastries & the likes with orange juice, tea & coffee. I would stay here again as it was perfect for accessing Pacific Beach & the surrounding area.

Room Tip: ask for one on the 2nd floor or away from the main walkway through the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us! We really appreciate your comments!
Rolle, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel was a great discovery, excellent location, 100 m away from the beach and near plenty of bars and restaurants. We had a regular room the first night (nice but small) and then switched to a suite which was much more comfortable (studio type) and large. All the rooms have been renovated in 2012 which makes the place pretty cool.

However if you want to stay there, avoid using their website for the booking but call them instead. We booked our stay from their website (operated by a third a party, didn't realize that) and when we arrived they did not have our booking ...

Room Tip: choose a suite
1 Thank NicoClaire1180
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We apologize about the booking error, and are thankful for your staying with us. I'm glad we were able to accommodate you with a suite for the remainder of your stay. And yes, calling us and informing us that you are a return guest will always get you a better rate. Thank you for staying with us!