“Couple problems”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #166 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location is fantastic: VERY close to the beach. The rooms have been remodeled, and the new retro decor is very nice. In particular, the newly remodeled shower was excellent. The bed is extremely high off the ground, and there were pros and cons to this.

However, the "mini fridge" only had 2 settings: unplugged or frozen. Milk and yogurt were frozen solid no matter what setting the mini fridge was on. (Including off). Day after day the housekeeping staff refused to replace our dirty drinking glasses with new clean glasses which was strange because the bed sheets & towels were replaced daily.

The walls are thin and some of the other guests enjoy late night partying. The rooms are cozy small.

However our BIGGEST complaint is the cockroaches. We encountered our first cockroach within a minute or two of checking in, and throughout our visit we saw 4 different cockroaches.

This place has potential, but they need to iron out the fridge and bug issues.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrTraveler4444
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We are definately working on the last part of the bug issue. When we first took over, it was really bad in a few rooms. However, we have hired a company to resolve this, and it seems that we are almost 100% free of this. Unfortunately, you had this experience, and I hope that this will not keep you away from visiting us again. As for the drinking glasses, I will be reminding the housekeeping staff of their responsibilities when it comes to doing dishes for guests that are staying over. This was an issue before, and sometimes reminders have to be put in place.We do apologize for the mistake though and do wish we would have known about these issues while you were here, because we could have easily resilved them. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments.

There are newer reviews for PB Surf Beachside Inn

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the now PB Surf Beachside Inn from 10/6-10/8. It was a short visit home and I couldn't have been happier with the location and accommodations. My only gripe is the parking situation: I spoke to the gentleman who was working the front desk and he let me know that they really don't monitor who parks there. Since it's right on the beach, beach goers who aren't staying there basically have a free place to park. That is insane to me. I'm sure it wouldn't kill them to issue parking passes for lodgers to keep in the window of their cars, and tow all others. I got a citation from city police for parking on the street because this lot and their sister lot down the street was full. This place could easily be 5 stars if not for the horrible parking.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank WestCoast_Peach
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Actually, I'm sorry about the misinformation as we do issue parking passes for this property whether you park at this property or at our sister property a block away. We do understand that beach goers would like to park in our lot, and we do require a parking pass for each car. Between the two properties, there are usually plenty of spaces available. Some guests are not aware of the parking available in the back of both locations. And, we are sorry for your parking citation.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do hope that you will return again very soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Seacoast Palms has very recently been upgraded & completely remodeled. New name now is PB Surf Beachside Inn. The room & bathroom was small yet clean. Great location literally can walk to the beach in minutes & staff was professional. Most places to stay in PB are dated and need remodeling. Stay here for a deal or stay at Pacific Terrarce Hotel also nice.

• Stayed: October 2012
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you very much for your description and the compliments. I do wish there would have been more room available to enlarge the bathrooms even more than we did. But, there are a few rooms with fairly large bathrooms located in the courtyard area. We do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in San Diego.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed 9/25-28. I travel to San Diego every month for work, and thought I had found the perfect property back in August. Decided to go out on a limb and book a property closer to the beach this time - It was beyond worth it.

The property was recently remodeled, and room furnishings are on par with a much more expensive hotel. The finite touches are what make the difference, such as remarkably good in-room lighting, hardwood floors, quality bathroom furnishings, huge walk-in shower, and gorgeous paint/color scheme. Plus, the room had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.

From the outside, everything is fresh and clean, and there's even a "rooftop"-style patio with umbrellas, tables, and chairs for relaxing. Parking is limited, but I never had an issue finding a spot. Truthfully, the area is so rich with great restaurants and things to do, you can just park your car and walk everywhere.

The area (right in the heart of Pacific Beach) is magnificent, and plays host to a number of modern, boutiquey shops and restaurants, which again are all within walking distance. The beach is a single block away, and is a clean, non-crowded place in which to relax.

Downsides are few - WiFi is not free, but the connection is strong and fast. No iron or ironing board in my room. TV has very few channels, and no sleep timer (I know, picky picky). Breakfast is limited (pastries, coffee, and OJ), but it's a nice touch, and the coffee is very good.

Bottom line? I'm so glad to see that places such as this still exist. Excellent service, perfect location, reasonable cost, and every amenity you could possibly want.

Look forward to staying here again for two nights next week!

Room Tip: I don't believe any rooms will have a view of the ocean. I had a street-view room, which was st...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Danreviewscars
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

It's reviews like this that make me and my entire staff feel very good about what we do. This is exactly what we are striving for at this new property, and are still working on the details you mentioned in your comments. We are in the process of receiving the remaining items for our guestrooms within the next week or so, including blowdryers, irons and ironing boards, and a really nice amenity package. Wifi will also be complimentary very soon as well.

We thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I lived in PB for 5 years and remember what the previous hotel used to look like. The complete make over is spectacular. Decent size rooms, very very clean. Cant beat the price considering its less then a block from the beach. Short walk to bars/restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank damar41519
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

The only thing I can say is that this property is a "night and day" difference from what it was before. Everything has been replaced and redone and completely modernized. I'm really glad that the neighborhood has noticed the changes! Thank you for staying with us!!!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our stay was great. Kind and helpful staff and specially Alpha in the reception was very nice and always with a smile. Good, clean room and beautiful bathroom. Location and price perfect. We can strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ulla J
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will be sure to let Alpha know about your review. I hope you will come and stay with us again!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently took my family to San Diego for my birthday weekend, and we stayed at PB Surf Inn on a Saturday night. Originally, my wife called to book the room but they would not give her a room for just one night. I went online and booked the room for one night through their website and it went through fine. When we arrived at the hotel, they did not have the room that we had originally booked and gave us a small suite instead, which was fine. Check in is normally 3pm but we showed up at noon and they let us check in early, which was nice. The property offers free parking, which is a plus because parking in PB can be a nightmare.

The rooms have apparently been recently renovated and ours was very nice. It was a little small but we spent most of our time at the beach so I didn't mind.

The location of the hotel is convenient, not right on the beach but just a short 3-4 minute walk down to the sand. It was also within walking distance (.5 miles) of several bars, restaurants, cafes, and shops.

The hotel offered a continental breakfast between 8-10am, including pastries, muffins, juice, and coffee. The selection wasn't tremendous but it was fine (we walked down to Denny's for a hot breakfast).

All in all, PB Surf is a pretty nice hotel for the price, and we may stay here again next time we are in PB.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Well, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to wite your comments about your stay. Yes, every room was recently completely redone and really upgraded. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed our property and took full advantage of what the area has to offer.