“Recently remodeled rooms, pleasant staff & great location”

PB Surf Beachside Inn
Ranked #166 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Seacoast Palms has very recently been upgraded & completely remodeled. New name now is PB Surf Beachside Inn. The room & bathroom was small yet clean. Great location literally can walk to the beach in minutes & staff was professional. Most places to stay in PB are dated and need remodeling. Stay here for a deal or stay at Pacific Terrarce Hotel also nice.

• Stayed: October 2012
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you very much for your description and the compliments. I do wish there would have been more room available to enlarge the bathrooms even more than we did. But, there are a few rooms with fairly large bathrooms located in the courtyard area. We do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in San Diego.

There are newer reviews for PB Surf Beachside Inn

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed 9/25-28. I travel to San Diego every month for work, and thought I had found the perfect property back in August. Decided to go out on a limb and book a property closer to the beach this time - It was beyond worth it.

The property was recently remodeled, and room furnishings are on par with a much more expensive hotel. The finite touches are what make the difference, such as remarkably good in-room lighting, hardwood floors, quality bathroom furnishings, huge walk-in shower, and gorgeous paint/color scheme. Plus, the room had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker.

From the outside, everything is fresh and clean, and there's even a "rooftop"-style patio with umbrellas, tables, and chairs for relaxing. Parking is limited, but I never had an issue finding a spot. Truthfully, the area is so rich with great restaurants and things to do, you can just park your car and walk everywhere.

The area (right in the heart of Pacific Beach) is magnificent, and plays host to a number of modern, boutiquey shops and restaurants, which again are all within walking distance. The beach is a single block away, and is a clean, non-crowded place in which to relax.

Downsides are few - WiFi is not free, but the connection is strong and fast. No iron or ironing board in my room. TV has very few channels, and no sleep timer (I know, picky picky). Breakfast is limited (pastries, coffee, and OJ), but it's a nice touch, and the coffee is very good.

Bottom line? I'm so glad to see that places such as this still exist. Excellent service, perfect location, reasonable cost, and every amenity you could possibly want.

Look forward to staying here again for two nights next week!

Room Tip: I don't believe any rooms will have a view of the ocean. I had a street-view room, which was st...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Danreviewscars
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

It's reviews like this that make me and my entire staff feel very good about what we do. This is exactly what we are striving for at this new property, and are still working on the details you mentioned in your comments. We are in the process of receiving the remaining items for our guestrooms within the next week or so, including blowdryers, irons and ironing boards, and a really nice amenity package. Wifi will also be complimentary very soon as well.

We thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I lived in PB for 5 years and remember what the previous hotel used to look like. The complete make over is spectacular. Decent size rooms, very very clean. Cant beat the price considering its less then a block from the beach. Short walk to bars/restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank damar41519
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

The only thing I can say is that this property is a "night and day" difference from what it was before. Everything has been replaced and redone and completely modernized. I'm really glad that the neighborhood has noticed the changes! Thank you for staying with us!!!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our stay was great. Kind and helpful staff and specially Alpha in the reception was very nice and always with a smile. Good, clean room and beautiful bathroom. Location and price perfect. We can strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ulla J
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will be sure to let Alpha know about your review. I hope you will come and stay with us again!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently took my family to San Diego for my birthday weekend, and we stayed at PB Surf Inn on a Saturday night. Originally, my wife called to book the room but they would not give her a room for just one night. I went online and booked the room for one night through their website and it went through fine. When we arrived at the hotel, they did not have the room that we had originally booked and gave us a small suite instead, which was fine. Check in is normally 3pm but we showed up at noon and they let us check in early, which was nice. The property offers free parking, which is a plus because parking in PB can be a nightmare.

The rooms have apparently been recently renovated and ours was very nice. It was a little small but we spent most of our time at the beach so I didn't mind.

The location of the hotel is convenient, not right on the beach but just a short 3-4 minute walk down to the sand. It was also within walking distance (.5 miles) of several bars, restaurants, cafes, and shops.

The hotel offered a continental breakfast between 8-10am, including pastries, muffins, juice, and coffee. The selection wasn't tremendous but it was fine (we walked down to Denny's for a hot breakfast).

All in all, PB Surf is a pretty nice hotel for the price, and we may stay here again next time we are in PB.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Well, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to wite your comments about your stay. Yes, every room was recently completely redone and really upgraded. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed our property and took full advantage of what the area has to offer.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

New name is PB Surf Beachside Inn. VERY clean, well kept hotel. Nice staff. Free "Breakfast" was poor and less than continental style, only sweet rolls, store bought muffins, juice and coffee. One morning was even weak on the sweet rolls. However, you should skip the free "breakfast" and go to Kono's right across from Crystal Pier. Great breakfast but expect to wait in line for at least 30 minutes. Parking at hotel is extremely limited but there are more spaces at their sister property which is about a one minute walk up the block. We checked in very early and got a room right away. Five minute walk to the very nice beach. Lots of restaurants and bars close by. Crystal Pier is about a 15 minutes via the boardwalk. Will stay here again next beach vacation!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VegasChzHed
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make your comments about your stay with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this as it is very informational to our potential new guests. I know the continental breakfast is not like a buffet, but, just to let you know, we do have the muffins, danish, etc... delivered each morning from a local bakery. I hope we will be seeing you again very soon! Oh, thank you for mentioning our new name as well.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I will definitely recommend PB Surf (new name) to my friends and family when I get back to Vegas! I usually stay here about once a year; always enjoyed being so close to the beach. When they told me about the upcoming renovation, I thought I would not be able to afford to stay here anymore but the price is still very reasonable, especially considering what they spent to make it so very beautiful. The staff here is friendly and helpful and there is not a thing I would change!
P.S. Be sure to check out the upper deck with covered tables and a view of the ocean; great place to watch the nightly fireworks or enjoy your complimentary coffee that's served every morning in the office. What a nice way to plan your day of "fun in the sun".

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank holls3
jimsilver, General Manager at PB Surf Beachside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of the sun deck. Yes, the view is very nice, and the fireworks are visible from Seaworld every night! One of the concerns I have is that some guests may think since we have renovated that we will price them out. I will continue to retain the guests that have stayed with the Seacoast over the past few years, by continuing to give them a very reasonable return rate when at all possible. We really appreciate your business, and hope you will continue to stay with us for many years to come.Thank you.