“Very accommodating staff”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #75 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 28, 2010

We stayed here for two nights prior to a flight home. The staff recommended two fabulous restaurants and the shuttle bus took us everywhere that we wished to go. Everyone was extremely polite, cheerful and helpful.
The room was excellent as always and the pool was a BIG plus after a busy day of sightseeing. Although the Amtrak is a little noisy right behind the hotel, the front rooms are fine. This is a problem along the entire stretch of Pacific Highway regardless of which hotel you choose. Must see: San Diego Zoo, Seaport Village. Places to eat: Top of the Market and Crocce's

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LITOPA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed March 6, 2010

We arrived in San Diego a day early for our Saturday Cruise departure. We had read most of the reviews for this hotel and as such knew what to expect.

The hotel is located 10-12 blocks from the car rental centers, so ambitious travelers could catch the hotel shuttle to the hotel, stow their luggage and then walk down to rent a car. We went the other route and were barely able to get all four of our luggage in the car :-) - Note to self: pack lighter next time.

The hotel is located right on Pacific Highway and some of the rooms offer a great view of the harbor and the cruise ship terminal. When we arrived, our front desk clerks Dan and Nandu were very helpful. Dan offered some excellent suggestions on places to eat in the area, including the taco shop at the end of the block that has some of the best fish tacos I've had. What a way to start a vacation!

Our rooms were already ready, even though we arrived quite a bit before check-in. We had one of the rooms facing the courtyard which didn't help when 3:00 Charlie came through. 3:00 Charlie is one of the early morning trains that runs the tracks behind the hotel. He blows his horn from one end of the block to the other which is guaranteed to wake you from your peaceful slumber. The trains run fairly frequently but if you know about them in advance and expect them to be there, they quickly fade into the background.

You slumber will be peaceful, because the beds are _very_ comfortable. Firm mattresses with a soft top, clean crisp sheets and big fluffy comforters make for a very deep sleep (until Charlie comes along).

The rooms are clean, spacious and appear to have been recently updated. The colors are pleasing and there's a very comfortable feeling to them. There were four people in our party and while tight, it was by no means crowded.

Parking is available at the hotel, although there is a $12 / day fee and it is entirely worth it if you come to San Diego. There's so much to see and do and we were so glad we decided to get a car. Our day included driving up to view the harbor seals at La Jolla Cove and underwater park (a MUST see), then driving down to Point Loma where you get an incredible panoramic view of the harbor and San Diego.

So, if you don't mind getting woken up every once in a while during the night by the trains, everything else about this hotel makes it a top pick for me. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank theAmishWanderer
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I reserved a room for 3 nights and specifically requested a room in the front of the hotel. When I checked in and asked that I be away from the trains in the back and was told my room was. When I got to my room, it opened into a courtyard. I found out that night this courtyard faces the back of the hotel where the trains ran. At 2:25 am I was awoken by the train. The next morning, I asked the manager why I had been put in a room that wasn't away from the trains when I double checked before going to my room. I was told they were having problems with the person who checked me in and apologized and offered to move me to another room. They also offered to not charge me for the first night. When I checked out, they charged me for all three nights. Also, they didn't give me a wakeup call and I nearly missed my flight. The location is great but you must be in the front of the hotel. If you're not, then don't stay here. Check out and go to the Embassy Suites down the PCH towards the convention center.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Tom S
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to Little Italy, Maritime Museum, rail. Friendly staff. Great for families. Excellent value. We will stay here on our next trip to San Diego. One word of warning . . . the train runs right behind this hotel and it will wake you in the middle of the night. By our second night we were used to it and went right back to sleep. My son didn't wake up at all.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank FamTravAgnt
Reviewed January 30, 2010

This is a great hotel with a wonderful GM (Sean) and helpful staff but two big flaws:
1. A freight trains goes by between 3am-4:30am every night right behind the hotel blowing it's horn every few seconds, it would wake the dead. If you stay there, you must be in the front of the hotel or plan on being woken up.
2. They have put in those harsh blue-white pig-tale flourescents that are too bright (equal to 120 watts) and too big for the lamps, so the shades are all askew. Unless you like sleeping in hospital rooms, there is a RiteAId nearby that sells normal light bulbs for merely $2.50 EACH.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank BDfromDC
Reviewed January 18, 2010

This hotel is beside a poorly rated mexican drive thru and a bath house and is directly in front of a trolley stop. Its proximity to public transit means two things: you have incredibly easy access to downtown and beyond, and you hear trains all the time. And these trains don't go quietly - they honk their horns and blow their whistles as they go, and yes, you will be awoken by them.

The hotel itself isn't the newest in town, but the insides are just fine. The lobby reminds me of a hostel - dorm room quality furniture and lots and lots of fluorescent lighting. The rooms are pretty much what you would expect from a hotel of this class.

Breakfast was decent, all things considered. Lots of cereals, yogurt, some fruit, juice, muffins, and a hot item that seemed to vary. The coffee isn't very good. The food itself seems to be in too cramped an area given the number of people eating at peak hours.

The free shuttle turned out to not be so convenient - we needed to head to the airport around 10, which happens to be when they run a shuttle to the zoo, and at 10:30 they were taking a group of senior citizens to their cruise (there seem to be a lot of people staying here for this very reason).

On a side note, a previous occupant of our room left behind a pair of pants and a shirt which were stuffed behind a chair in the corner of the room. If you stayed here and are missing a whole outfit, you might want to call the hotel!

Overall, this place is a great value, but you get what you pay for.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I am currently staying at the Hampton Inn. Since checking in yesterday the head desk clerk (a female) has made it clear that the customer is not always right and speaks to me in a condescending tone. This hotel claims to have wonderful services such as a shuttle to anywhere in the downtown (as long as you make arrangements 24 hours in advance), but when I inquired about setting a time to take me to my interview she responded with, 'Well we can't guarantee the shuttle so just check with the front desk 30 min. before you need to leave, in case you will need to find another way to get there.' When I called from the airport to ask about the shuttle service, she looked up my reservation and called the shuttle, but when I told her I was still waiting for my luggage she told me she would have to cancel the shuttle and I was to call back when I had all my luggage, as it was hotel protocol. Apparently I was supposed to know that. When I called back she asked if I had ALL my luggage, as if I was an idiot. The other hotel clerk who was checking me in was almost finished when I remembered to show them my AAA card (she did not inquire about it). The head clerk said it was too late, as the other woman had already "pushed the button." What?! She said it did not show up in the reservation, but I told her the national reservation line told me to just show the AAA card at the front desk. No, the button had already been pushed. She deducted $4 from each nightly charge.
She has the pseudo-friendly attitude but is not that helpful. Finally, the TRAIN. My room is right next to the train and it makes it difficult for me to work in my room, as the train BLARES its horn from one end of the block to the other, including as it goes by my room. Yesterday it was, 'Just come down in the morning and we will find a new room for you once someone has checked out.' This morning it was,'Pack up your luggage and bring it down to the lobby. We'll move you to a new room after noon.'
She doesn't make note of anything - but I am the one who has to check back in with them if I need something. This is not hotel service I am used to at hotels of this level (i.e. I don't usually stay at the Sheraton).
And be aware that there are few amenities (e.g. no fridge in room, no microwave in dining area).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business