“Nice stay in San Diego” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 281 Hotels in San Diego
Petaluma, California
“Nice stay in San Diego”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here for a recent wedding at the Maritime Museum and it was ideally located. I was concerned about the train noises but they were not really an issue for us. We just kept the windows closed. They do have earplugs on the table just in case. Little Italy is a few blocks away and super easy to walk to for food and livelihood. Green Line train is behind the hotel and will take you just about anywhere you need to go. Children's park is across the street and the waterfront just beyond it. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is suppose to be the quietest.
    • 4 of 5 stars
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear "JL" I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and the park across the street. This has been a great addition to our area and hope that our guests will continue to enjoy it for years to come. Thanks for your review and your business. Hopefully we will see you again soon at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown!

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Morehead City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two consecutive weeks while in town for work. The hotel is nice. It's very clean as most hampton inns usually are. The thing that is great about this hotel is it's location. It's right in little Italy so it's walking distance to a bunch of restaurants/bars and a trolley stop is less than a block away. The trolley will take you basically anywhere you want to go in the city. It will even take you out to mission valley or to Qualcomm stadium. I'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014
Dear "Tommylgreene", thanks for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. Please give us your future consideration for your accommodation needs.

MURRIETA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Everything was very nice except the train running behind the hotel. Pretty loud! The room was great and the staff was very friendly. I would stay here again but as I said, if you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs....

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "488garyg", in the interest of full disclosure, I am glad that you posted this review with this heading. Yes our hotel does have quieness issues related to the train and it is important that prospective guests know this in advance. Thanks for your review and for your business, hopefully you will decide to give it to us once again.

Salem, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Overall a good place to stay in San Diego for the price. I especially like being right next to a trolley stop for quick travel down to the Convention Center (or 20-minute walk). Just be aware that Amtrak uses an adjacent set of rails and it can be noisy if your room is near the tracks and you're a light sleeper.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Robert H", thank you for your review which includes information other travelers might find useful in terms of our immediate area and proximity to the convention center. I hope that the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown has earned your future consideration whether on business or leisure travel.

Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel may not be right next to the Gaslamp quarter but you can certainly walk to that area in barely 20-25 minutes and, along the way if you take the Harbor Drive path, see a lot of interesting places. I did for all the 5 days of my last week's stay in this hotel when I walked to/from the SD Convention Center. And there is one even an advantage of this hotel's location: It is right next to the SD Little Italy region which has a lot of restaurants/bars which are much more affordable than the Gaslamp quarter's.

Still speaking of location: The Santa Fe train station is barely 0.3 miles from the hotel. So you can take the Coaster train ($12 for all day) or Amtrak to places.

Inside the hotel: Everything clean. Staff very friendly. Good WiFi signal in the room (mine was on 3rd floor). Reasonably priced items in vending machines. Elevators were quick to arrive. Pool was clean and they even provided towels on the pool chairs. Though I didn't need a car the parking garage on the lower level had adequate empty places.

Breakfast was included and was adequate with fresh made omelets, small yoplait yogert, milk, fresh cut up fruit, wonderful coffee with options for great tasty creamers.

Concerned about noise? Yes, the trains ran from early morning till late at night and they were noisy. The hotel provided earplugs! But I never used them because after a day I got used to the train sounds or was so tired from all the walking that simply fell sound asleep--every night!

Finally, about the location again: The location of this hotel is also great for the USS Midway tour, Harbor tours, and to take the kids to a park right across from the hotel where lots of kids were enjoying the water fountains in a supervised area. Oh, if you want cheaper foods, then there is a Jack in the Box a short walk.

Airport drop off/pickup: Both were fast and courteous. Please do tip the drivers.

I give this hotel 5 Stars and would love to go back and stay there again. Kudos to the staff for the great job they do every day.

• 5 of 5 stars
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear "Meengla", thank you for your business and for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. We were glad to serve you during your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the many aspects of our hotel and I hope that we have earned your return business. Thank you also for reporting to this great public your experience with the quietness factor of our hotel. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Tucaon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Looking for a bargain I expected a clean modest property. That is exactly what I got. What I also got was some of the best service I have ever received from each and every employee. I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star resorts and this service was as good. Great value. Complaints about train noise very exaggerated. Parking is tight especially if you have a big "mini" van.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Bob L", thank you for providing a balance to some of the reviews on this great site about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown. I understand that each person's experience will be different and I appreciate that there is a balance and this site is here to provide both the good and the bad from different perspectives. Thank you kindly for providing the reinforcement that what the staff is doing here is appreciated, the service aspect. I hope to have earned your future consideration,

Lake Wylie, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My son and I stayed here after his surf camp earlier in the week. The hotel is clean and accommodating. The room was a good size and the price was fair. However, it was VERY crowded over the holiday and the morning of the 4th the breakfast area was PACKED... Standing room only. My son and I actually ate at the computer area as there were no other available seats.
I guess this is too be expected on a holiday but it was a bit overwhelming. I thought the underground parking was nice but feel the $12/day parking fee was a bit much. The hotel is in a GREAT location. Within walking distance of several restaurants, San Diego Bay, Little Italy SD. Lots of activities right there outside the hotel and surrounding areas no driving necessary. Overall our stay was very nice.
The beds were very comfortable. Staff was very informative and knowledgeable about the area. They gave great directions and recommendations. When we had an issue with the AC a maintenance person was there within 30 minutes to fix it.

I would definitely return to this hotel. I was a bit disappointed that I was unable to use my AAA discount while we were there due to the holiday. I was not informed of that when I booked and asked about AAA discount. The prices are fair considering the location.

Room Tip: I continue to have problems with the hotel rating. When I select the category it automatically regi...
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear "Katrina" thank you for your review about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown when we are to capacity on a major holiday event. It helps our future visitors decide whether we are a good fit for them. It appears that for the most part you enjoyed our hotel and our services so I would like to invite you to keep us in mind for perhaps a different time period as San Diego is a great town to visit. Thank you again for everything!