“Always stay here” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Jax Beach, United States
“Always stay here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I always stay at this Hampton Inn when visiting Riverside. They always have the best rate, the rooms are always clean, staff always courteous, and the breakfast room is well maintained. They upgraded me the last two times I was there and actually ended up staying in the same room both times. Feels familiar and comfortable. The only downside is that there is no bar, but you can always walk next door to the Ayers Hotel for a drink!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear "Paul M", on behalf of the Hampton Inn Chain, I thank you for reviewing a sister property. I'm not sure if you also stayed at this location, but I appreciate the fact that at least you love staying at one of our other locations. I encourage if you ever come down to San Diego to give us a chance at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown and we will certainly take care of you in a similar fashion.

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My last stay with Hilton San Diego Bayfront has really pissed me off. With a Hilton crdit card in pocket, I've decided to explore other Hilton properties in San Diego downtwon area, and ended up staying at this Hampton Inn for three nights.

I would say the management team of this Hampton Inn has really put their thoughts to work and I am very much impressed. I have virtually been greeted by every staff there during my stay. Have been staying with many hotels, I can totally sense that staff there are happy to work. Their greetings come from hearts and are just so natural, making you feel you are welcomed by your close friends. And of course, such friendly staff could take care of your any requests. The management team is great to keep the employees happy. It means a lot to customers.

In those high end hotels, you are surrounded by politeness. Yet act politely is not the same as being friendly. That makes a HUGE difference, especially when issues come up, surprising you not in a good way. During my last stay at Hilton Bayfront when I found towels in bathroom full of someone else's hair, the hotel reacted very politely. But I don't feel they actually care about customer's feelings.

Other perks include fresh, hot breakfast free to all guests, shuttle to the airport, etc.

Here comes the unpleasant downside:
The building is not built well in terms of sound proof. You can hear all the noise especially at night. From the noice on street to the voice of your neighbor. You can hear everything. Forget about reading or enjoying a quite moment there. It is just impossible.
Luckily I fall asleep fast and deep.

Overall, with all pros and cons, I would say you get what you pay for.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear "Steven S", thank you so much for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, I really appreciate your comments with respect to how you felt about our staff as compared to the staff at the other property you mention here. I am so sorry that our building is on the noisier side both due to construction and to the location. I hope that we have done enough for you to consider staying with us again should you ever be in this area again.

Ridgecrest, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Great stay at this hotel. Nice rooms with a decent view and a nice pool. My son was able toplay his games free on the in room internet. Location was good too. We went to Midway to tour ship. We were also offered a ride by the hotel staff to Hooters in the Gaslamp District instead of having to pay a cab! It was very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear "Charlotte B", I am so glad that you found The Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown to be so in line with your needs. Like you mentioned, we certainly provide free Wifi and a complimentary shuttle services to nearby locations provided subject to availability as we also go to the airport which is a priority. I am glad to see you enjoyed one of my personal favorite establishments. I hope we can serve you again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Service throughout the Inn is fantastic from room cleanliness to the breakfast. Front desk folks are great. Train whistles, trollies bells and trash trucks are the only distraction at the Inn. Little Italy is close by as are several seafood places.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Tom R", thank you very much for your business and for taking the time to relate your experience about the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown! I am glad you found our hotel clean and enjoyed the breakfast. I am sorry because of the noise caused by our proximity to the train lines. We hope that despite this, we have earned your repeat business should you ever be in our area.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in 100's of Hampton inns across the us. This was one of the worst based on a comparison to other similar hotels. Yes there is a train, yes there is noise but that wasn't the big deal. Building is old rooms are smaller than most other hamptons. Layout of the hotel is just goofy. Doesn't have that comforting feel like the others. If you like Hampton inn you won't like this place. If you are just looking for a place this will work ok.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear "Tcroll", I am so sorry that you felt that our hotel compares negatively to other hotels of our same chain. We pride ourselves in trying to maintain all of the chains standards and I truly believe 'that we do. I am sorry that you found our layout goofy and the rooms smaller, but unfortunately I cannot do anything to correct those two issues. I am sorry that we could not impress a senior contributor on this site such as you, however I do thank you for your business. If you are ever "just looking for a place to stay", I hope you will consider us again.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were very worried about this hotel as we didn't read any reviews before we booked, and the whole train noise thing was a bit scary but how pleasantly surprised we were! We were 5 rooms back from the train line and while you could hear them ever so slightly while you were awake, they certainly did not disturb us at all during the night. Our room was a bit on the small side, but you get that when you are a family of five but the staff were great, the complimentary breakfast was great, it was really well priced and in a pretty good location, so how could you complain!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear "Rider1964" thanks for your review of the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown, your business, and for seeing past the issues with the train line noise. I appreciate the distance you traveled to come and visit our fine city and I thank you for choosing us.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Thank you Hampton Inn San Diego Hampton Inn. I took my wife and daugher for a 4 day trip and loved the hotel. Shuttle picked us up at the airport and took us to hotel. I felt bad as I overheard a few people at the airport terminal say they had been waitng to get to their hotel for over an hour....Thank you Hampton for being quick!!! Check in was great, what a quick and seemless process. Room was spacious and clean, housekeeping was great at helping straightening out our room daily. Lobby was ultra modern and hip. Breakfast was great, fantastic breakfast hosts! Chuck & Maria , van dirviers, were fanastic, helped us get to and from airport, and seaport village. What a great location along the harbor! Again, thank you for a great trip.

Sincerly,
Sean

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear "Sean F", thank you for taking time to review the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown upon your return home after staying with us, we appreciate your input into this great travel community. You know Chuck and Maria will be really hàppy to see their names mentioned. I hope we have done enough to earn your future consideration!