“Noisy!”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #75 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Overall I had read the reviews and was expecting some noise, and even asked for a quieter room! First the positives, the lobby is nice and contemporary, the check in was quick although I was not greeted as a Hilton Honors member. Parking was easy, if a little expensive but it is downtown and I knew there was a charge. The room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was up to standard. The other major positive is location. It is close to little Italy and downtown.

On the negative side, my main complaint is the noise. The hotel is directly in next to the railway crossing and in addition to the large number of noisy trains that grind past the hotel all night, you are entertained with the ding-ding-ding of the crossing. Unfortunately that is not the only source of noise pollution. The hotel is very close to the airport with the attendant jet noise and right next to a busy road (Pacific Highway) that has a good selection of noisy motorbikes, trucks, 18 wheelers and idiots deafening themselves and everyone around them.

To add to the misery, on the other side of the street is a major construction project and they get started early with the diggers, backhoes, jackhammers and anything else that makes a noise. I really felt like I did not get more than 20 minutes of uninterrupted sleep the whole night.
This could all be solved by installing decent triple glazed windows.
Also the breakfast was not one to linger over. The usual Hampton Inn plastic eggs, carton juice, unidentified coffee and plastic utensils/plates.

Overall I suspect this review could be of just about any hotel in the locale, noise comes with the territory but in this case, it is the perfect storm of location and cheap windows that let's the whole thing down.

Room Tip: Well, it's a choice of train or road/airport noise depending on which way your rooms faces so I...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear "Tim F", I am so sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been due to the many noise factors affecting my property. You are correct, we do seem to have the perfect storm of events coming together here. I am sure that once all of the construction is completed in front of us we will be in much better shape. Should you decide to give us another try once that happens which will be in about 1 year, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Miguel Rojas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Arrived late and had reservation for king room (did call to let them know we would be late). Got our room key went up to the room opened the door and surprise tv was on and someone was in our bed! If that was you I'm sorry! Went back down and were given a 2 queen room. Couldn't have been closer to the train without being on it. Earplugs and sound machine graciously included. Room was clean as usual Hampton. Went out for snack and many homeless around but not bothersome. Staff could have provided discount for embarrassment of walking in on another guest but didn't. Will avoid in future.

Stayed: September 2013

Dear "washermfg" I am really sorry for any inconvenience we have caused you during your stay. Can you get in touch with me at 619-652-4905, direct extension, as I would like to discuss your review personally.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Nice hotel, great staff, NO TRAIN HORN anymore, as the city changed the crossing to eliminate the need for the horn! Staff helped me get a taxi to go to the festival. Good location near the ships, Little Italy, and not too far from the Midway aircraft carrier museum.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear "Nancy P", I am glad that you felt the quiet zone has helped! Thank you for your business and your review. I hope to serve your lodging needs again in the near future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

When we were coming to San Diego, almost all Hilton hotels were booked because of the crazy conferences in the city. So, we decided to give it a shot and stay in this small hotel, located in the Italian quarter. We actually were very happy that we stayed there, because we really loved the location. It's away from all major crazy attractions and all the crowds, but at the same time it's in the really convenient location. It has the train station right around the corner, within 3 minutes walk. Also, we went for a walk almost every evening and it's 5 minutes from the heart of Italian district. It was very peaceful at night and there are bunch of great restaurants around. I can't tell the hotel itself impressed me, but everything was clean and nice, but some of the equipment in the room was very old. For example, the AC in our room was very ancient, like from 1960s, but it was still working and producing cold, although was very noisy. We liked our room overall, because it was a huge suite, but it was facing the front of the hotel, which is located on the major highway. We had to use the ear plugs in order to sleep at night, because the noise was unbearable, especially if a big truck would pass by at night. I think the rooms and hotel are due for renovations some time soon, but this is just my spoiled opinion. If I were to come back, I would still stay in that location, because I loved Italian quarter. It's a completely different from the craziness of the Gaslamp district or other financial district locations. It also has a view of the bay, which is nice. I also wasn't really impressed by the breakfast selection, but it was free and you could find something to eat there. This hotel has its own cons and pros and obviously can't compete with its giant Category 6 or 7 contemporary hotels, but it still has a prime location from my perspective and if it would add another notch on renovation and food, I think it could really attract more customers, even during the off-peak season because of its location. I am still glad that we picked this hotel versus a couple others that we were considering.

Room Tip: I would strongly recommend a room away from the front-facing part, because it's situated right o...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear "Alex P", I appreciate your business first and foremost and also the time you took to complete this thorough review of our hotel. You are correct in your assessment of the need for a room renovation and we anticipate to get one in 2014. As you may know we did the lobby this year and it looks great! Thank you for mentioning all of the great reasons for staying at the Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown as well as some of the cons that will help a potential traveler make an informed decision.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel has the best price/location ratio. It is otherwise pretty standard in its services and quality of the rooms. All personnel is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is a little scarce in my opinion but it´s also ok. The fact that is very close to the subway station works both as a pro (if you don´t have a car) and as a con (because of the noise)

Room Tip: Rooms on the facade and in a higher floor have less noise from the train
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear "scint1st", thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your business. I can see that you are a top contributor to Tripadvisor and I appreciate getting a good rating from a traveler such as you. Sorry about the train noise, but I am glad that you enjoyed other aspects of our hotel. We hope to be able to serve you again in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Laurie and Chuck were very accommodating delivering outstanding customer service. their concierge skills and knowledge was very helpful. personality and patience is always so welcomed when travelling and my experience with them was definitely noteworthy, which is why I take the time to write this.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear "stephanie v", It is wonderful to get public praise, Laurie will love reading this. Thank you for your business for completing this review. I hope that we will be your lodging provider for many years to come!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Aside from a minor mysterious air conditioning malfunction one night and the redecoration of the lobby, we highly recommend this particular Hampton Inn. It is convenient to all of the downtown areas and Embarcadero. Outstanding staff whoa are extremely courteous, friendly and helpful. When we return, we will stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear "Toki E", I have nothing else to say, but thank you for your business and we will see you again, hopefully!