“I love Hampton but this is worst so far”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #70 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
El Monte, California
“I love Hampton but this is worst so far”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

didn't get the room type that on my reservation, old socks in cloest(ask me throw it away or leave it), room key can't access parking, I love the hot Breakfast but near 9:57-58 the staff put more food in the tray and took it away at the same time!!! WTH??????

But I like the room clean and I am lucky don't have issue with the train, but the front desk staff always smile to you but give you not the right answer to slove problem.

Room Tip: away from train
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear "bmwmanusa", thank you for completing this review on our property after your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you generally love Hampton, but of course I am concerned that you did not love us. I would like to obtain more information from you regarding your stay so if you have a chance I would like to see if we can talk for a short while. Please either reply through the Tripadvisor email system and provide me your contact information or call me at 619-652-4905.

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Santa Barbara
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Reached out to the manager who replies to the tripadvisor reviews, but alas he did not respond to me. This should have been a sign of things to come. There are some positives, but within each there was a negative experience.

Positive-
Complimentary hot breakfast included
Complimentary shuttle service

Negatives-
Breakfast area is a zoo! Expected since it is included, but who knows what happens with so much traffic as i wound up getting ill after breakfast. I only had scrambled eggs and a container of yogurt.

I was not made aware of shuttle service! Seems like something that would have been mentioned at check in, i mean the guy went out of his way to tell me italian food two blocks this way, dennys two blocks that way and mexican place being next door. Should have mentioned the shuttle as it would have saved me time and money getting into gaslamp/ east village on 3 separate ocassions.

Noise. Was not able to sleep well as i was woken up on multiple occassions. I could see the train/trolley from the room window, and one comes by every 15 minutes. The fact there were earplugs on the nightstand should have been warning for what was to come.

Housekeeping. On my check out date someone knocked on my door before 10am! Seriously? This is the check out date, im not requesting housekeeping as you have to turn the room over for the next guest, why not let me relax and after noon go ahead and knock.

On the day after check in i made sure to call the front desk and ask for housekeeping to take care of my room since i was going to be having lunch then hanging out by the pool, allowing plenty of time for housekeeping to take care of the room. Still yet, i took the initiative to call ahead to MAKE SURE it was taken care of.

Channel guide out of whack. Advertised as having hbo and after searching out the guide in the folder on the desk, it was listed as ch 22(if i recall correctly) but change to ch 22 and nothing! A friend from home was actually fighting for the jr welterweight world championship and the fight turned out to be a fight of the year candidate and i missed it live!

Way better options in san diego.

Room Tip: One that is soundproof from the trains.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear "Umailop", I pride myself for replying to 100% of the feedback that we receive through this great traveler site so I hope you know that not having responded to you prior to your stay was not intentional. I am curious how you tried to contact me.

Your review had great and numerous amount of feedback that I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. Is it possible to call me at 619-652-4905, which is my direct number so we can discuss it further?

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn between downtown San Diego and the SD airport. We were both very pleased with our stay.

I'll get to the potential pitfall first - the hotel is right next to railroad tracks, and there are frequent trains that come and go, so you will often hear the crossing guard bells. If you're on the sixth floor, as we were, that may not be so much of a problem. The hotel recognizes the problem and provides free ear plugs.

I can't fault the hotel for anything else, though. It's extremely easy to get to and from the SD airport (surprisingly, airplane noise was not an issue) - it's an estimated 10-15 minute trip, about $12 by cab. The hotel is also adjacent to Little Italy, so it makes for an easy night out if you like Italian food. Seaport Village is less than a mile away. As to the aforementioned trains, you can hop a commuter train that will take you to the Gaslight Quarter for an enjoyable night out.

As for the hotel itself - it is very clean, there is an outdoor pool, and the free breakfast was top-notch.
Staff there are extremely friendly and efficient.

If you are planning a trip to San Diego, and you are anything but an extremely light sleeper, the Hampton Inn in Downtown SD is an ideal place to stay. And if you are a light sleeper, ask for a quiet room or something on the sixth floor, and you should be fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Steve A", thank you for your business and for taking time to complete this thorough review of the property. Thank you for pointing out the many things that make this property attractive for potential new guests who come to this great site for advice. Also, thank you for pointing out that in the right part of the hotel, even the lightest sleeper will enjoy their stay!

We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a weekend stay at the hotel. Interesting it was to say the least. We went realizing that the "trains" were supposed to be an issue. They were actually the LEAST of the issues. I called ahead to request a "quiet" room as I knew I'd be arriving after midnight and had to be up early the next morning. I was told at check in that I'd be pleased with the noise level in that room as "street rooms are reserved for diamond and platinum members." Hmmm, ok. So on to bed we went. The noise (of the trains) was actually tolerable. We didn't need the ear plugs that are provided.

All the fun began the next morning, we went down for breakfast and were greeted by lots of screaming children. WHAT!?! As I was traveling with my young adult children, this was NOT what we planned. We quickly ate and left what seemed like the first day of daycare, for a day in the city. Returning that evening we thought we'd turn in and enjoy some down time.......uhhh NOT! The daycare was still open. Kids running down the hall screaming, parents encouraging said obnoxious behavior until.....who knows what time. 6am, it started all over again, this time with the nearby construction adding to the fun. Yeah! Afraid of the scene downstairs, as it seemed the children kept multiplying, we skipped the
hotel fare and had a wonderful breakfast at Brian's 24.

At check out Dan apologized (very nice gentleman) and indicated the hotel could have assisted us. NOOOOO Dan! It was too many. They kept coming, and coming! Scary! Lol Thank you for offering.

Though none of these things were directly reflective of the hotel, they definitely took away from our experience. The physical location was in close proximity to excellent restaurants. We found street parking more beneficial for us (and saved the $12 a day). In exchange I got a free headache. Does that balance out?

Would I stay here again? If traveling with small children (not likely I'll be doing that anytime soon),perhaps. Having older children I don't have a need for "family friendly" accomodations. I THOROUGHLY enjoy peace and quiet when I travel......and it's not here.

When my children were younger, much younger, this would have been acceptable. Not the place for me. Saddy face :-(

• Stayed March 2013
Dear "divineinte", thank you for your candid feedback, I am sure it will be beneficial for other potnetial guests who may be considering a stay here. While I am not sure when you stayed, I presume it has been in the last week or so during Spring Break, and you are correct, a large chunk of our business is family travel during such times. Please accept my most sincere apology that we could not be a better fit for you at this time in your life, but if you would reconsider, and are in our area in the future at a less busier time, I would love to have you try us out again.

Rialto, California
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This experience was wonderful.!!! the Pool Was Amazing && Super Super Warm.!!! the Beds Were Wonderful && Very Comfy.!!!! The Room Was Incredible.!!!! The Service Was Really Good And Helpful.!!! The water for The Showers Were Wonderful && The Light Was Bright.!! The Television Was Set Very Good && The Other Were Good Too

Room Tip: All The Rooms Are Good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "Nancy M", thank you so much for taking the time to review us after your stay, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it, especially the comfortable Hampton bed. I hope that we can see you again soon!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel and were treated well. It is located in a beautiful area and within walking distance to many attractions and restaurants.The rooms are clean and fairly roomy. We asked and received a refrig and microwave free of charge upon request at check in. The swimming pool is well kept. There is a parking garage which cost $12 daily. They have a shuttle from 5am to 10pm for transportation to and from the airport. Also they will shuttle you locally if not too busy and a shuttle goes to the zoo daily at 10am and they pick you back up at 4pm.The free breakfast is plentiful. They offer hot food along with muffins, pasteries, bagels, waffles, fresh fruit etc. I can't say enough about the friendly staff from the front desk to the staff cleaning the rooms. We needed to check in early and the front desk went above and beyond to accommidate us. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear "Sue K", your review is like a billboard advertising our great services and amenities, I love it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us after your stay, I hope that based on your visit this time that you will become a lifetime guest of ours. Thanks for your business and for spreading the word on our property!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I never stayed in a Hamption Inn before an had no idea what to expect. The reason I selected it
was that the staff was able to answer the question before I booked that they were near a trolley stop since we did not intend to rent a car during our stay.

I found the noise of the trolly/trains that runs behind the hotel very minor. There was a white noise machine in the room, but it was never needed.

The place is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. I dropped a black t-shirt behind the toilet tank and when I picked it up there was not a drop of dust or powder on it, this was on
our 4th day into the stay.

Breakfast is fine, the coffee is of good quality and there was a something for everyone in the selection, eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, in addition to the usual cereal and muffins.

The staff is very helpful, there is a shuttle bus that is available for airport pickups, with a
regular schedule for the Zoo and Balboa Park, two of the main attractions.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms may have less train noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear "vee b", I am glad that we were the first Hampton Inn that you ever stayed at and that we made the proper Hampton Inn impression. I hope this means that you will start looking for Hampton Inn properties when you travel!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on this site and for your business and thank you as well for mentioning the cleanliness of your room, most of our room attendants have been here upwards of 6 years and some even since the hotel opened!

We hope to see you again soon!