“Hotel California”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #70 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First of all,I would like to commend G.M.,Miguel Rojas and his excellent staff,Dan,Blanca,Mariela,Penny,Laurie,Carmen,Maria,Chuck and Maritza,when she comes in as a back up.They are all super.The service is outstanding.I love the rooms,and the location is great,being close to Little Italy,The Gaslamp,The USS Midway,The 3 masted ship,Star of India,and also the Airport is right there.Yes,there are the Trolleys,put some ear plugs in and go to sleep.It is a great bargain for the location.I've stayed here a lot,and will continue to do so. Jack Sullivan,Hilton Honors Diamond

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear "Jack S", thank you for your kind words and especially for remembering specific individuals who have enhanced your stay. I hope that we can continue to be your lodging choice while in San Diego, and thank you for being a Diamond Member!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel itself is average for a Hampton Inn. Staff is polite and friendly. Parking is free for Diamond members. It is very close to the San Diego airport.

The hotel is unfortunately situated right next to a commuter rail crossing which has a train go through it every five minutes. The Bells are loud enough to hear in Tijuana. Until the city puts some quieter bells on that crossing I recommend staying elsewhere. The hotel was kind enough to put ear plugs on the bed stand but I'm not sure that's gonna cut it. Also the King Bed room I reserved was not available when I checked in at 6:00pm. Guess the concept of a "reservation" doesn't apply.

The hotel room is full of harsh CFL lightbulbs with a greenish / blue hue which is unpleasant. I would recommend that the hotel look into some of the newer warm yellow LED bulbs. I stayed at 'The Heathman' hotel in Seattle last week which used these bulbs. I thought the were incandescent until I checked them and was pleasantly surprised. Lighting is very important and I would like to see hotels pay more attention to it.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Client_No9
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear "Jason J" I echo your sentiments about the city putting in quieter bells at the intersections. It is our understanding that the city is studying the noise levels to see about applying for some changes to be done to the appropriate federal authorities. Unfortunately at this time I do not have a timeline and if the implementation of the "queit zone" is any indication, it may be years from now.

In regards to the lights, I will see if there is another light bulb we can transition in as we continue to replace burned out ones.

Thank you for your review and your business!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

No street parking available. You have to pay an extra fee (11.00) per day/night to park your car in their private garage. The bells and noise from the trolley keeps you up all night, and the construction going on next door goes from 8am till dark, It's a lovely property, and very well maintained, but I was very angry that we were not made aware that there would be an extra charge to park the car because, as the front desk staff explained "we are a downtown property" Well, so what??? Let paying guests park their cars for free - I would think that would be a no brainer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear "SAEViolet" than you for the opportunity to serve you while you were in the area. In reading your review I can see that most areas that are impacted by the hotel staff service were rated great and I thank you for than. I am sorry that you were not aware of the parking fees associated with your stay and I would appreciate an opportunity to hear how you booked the stay, etc,,, to see if I can rectify it for you and any future guests.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was concerned by other reviews comments about train noise, but I did not find that the noise from the nearby train tracks was excessive at all - noticeable, but not that bad.
If you have stayed in a Hampton Inn before, you will not be surprised by this one. Hampton Inns focus on clean, consistent lodging, not luxury or amenities. and this one meets that goal.
Pluses: great location near MTS (trolley) stop, just like most other Hamptons.
Minuses: None really, its a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear "Brian D" thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you were not bothered but the train noises that ate still affecting our location despite the "quiet zone". Thank you for your business and I hope that we can serve you again!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice enough Hampton in a good location, however there is no escaping the endless train noise from freightliners running all night long. It was so bad we had to check out a day early and for this reason we cannot recommend this property whatsoever.

If you are a heavy sleeper and/or can live with the noise, it's an otherwise decent Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank the_savman

Dear "the_savman", I am really sorry that despite the implementation of the 24 hour "quiet zone" in our area the noise from the train line being so close to the hotel was too much for you. I can appreciate your decision not to stay with us again for this reason, but if you ever change your opinion I would be happy to help you with reservations.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Lovely hotel right next to a train crossing on every side!! The crossing bell rings every 10 mins. like the train on My Cousin Vinny. It is extremely loud! Im here on a business trip and am frankly too lazy to move hotels for my 3 night stay but if you are looking for a vacation hotel, beware of the train lines. Hotel windows seem to face windows on all side so dont expect a view. Too bad because it is a clean and comfortable hotel.

2  Thank Crystal T
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear "Crystal T" I am really sorry to hear about your experience at the hotel. As you probably saw when you reviewed the hotel train noise has been our top complaint over quite some time. I appreciate your business and your review.

If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at 619-233-8408 x 4905.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel staff, the hotel, breakfast, etc., were all fine and well up to Hampton Inn standards. Clean, convenient to the airport and cruise terminal, with free shuttles to both.
However - we will never stay there again. We hardly got any sleep. The noise from the commuter train crossing bells and construction next door was horrible. Before dinner, we heard the noise but thought it would be okay. I should have realized that the ear plugs left on the night stand were a bad sign! Once we were in bed, oh my. I hardly slept at all. If we hadn't realized so late in the evening that it was going to be a problem, we would have asked to change rooms. As it was, we didn't complain - so I can't say whether they would have been accommodating and helpful or not.
Can't fault them for that which is why I'm still giving them three stars.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about the noise in the rooms and the RR Crossing.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear "kristd" I am really sorry that even after the quiet zone ordinance has taken effect we still have guests not be able to enjoy our property as much due to the noise from the crossing guards, At least we know the construction will cease at some point but the crossing guards will probably still affect us for yeas to come.

I know that you indicate here that you would not stay here again, but should you ever reconsider and have a lodging need in the area, I would appreciate a chance to serve you again, perhaps in a room away from the back.