“Great hotel and wonderful location....but...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #66 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Beechgrove, Tennessee
“Great hotel and wonderful location....but...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We picked this Hampton Inn for its location about 1/4 mile from the cruise terminal as we were planing a cruise to Hawaii and wanted to stay in San Diego for 4 days post cruise, plus the fact that Hampton Inns are always high on our list of places to stay. Pick up from the airport was fast and efficient, as was the trip to the cruise terminal the next morning. So far, so good. Fast forward to the end of the cruise and when I called the hotel for the van pickup back to the hotel for our four days of visiting San Diego, they told me they don't do pickups at the cruise terminal. Since this was the first we heard of this policy, I was not a happy camper. After complaining to the manager, he agreed to pay for a taxi for the four of us. Understandably, taxi drivers were not interested in taking us this short distance, so we ended up dragging our luggage all the way to the hotel even though two of us have trouble walking due to arthritis. When I talked to the manager upon our arrival at the hotel and told him of our difficulty in getting a taxi, he offered to buy us a round of drinks while we were staying at the hotel for our trouble.

The hotel was, however, great. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel van took us to the zoo and picked us up, and the next day to Balboa Park as well. Breakfast was the usual Hampton breakfast with outstanding coffee. Every evening there was a big plate of chocolate chip cookies at the reception desk. Our housekeeper even made decorative pieces with the towels for a whimsical touch. The night manager, Dan, made some terrific recommendations for restaurants, reviewed elsewhere. The previous reviews complaining about the train noises are now out of date since they no longer blow their horns coming through the city. You can still hear the train but it is only dim background noise and not at all disturbing. Our first night, prior to the cruise was prior to the horn ban, so we could really tell the difference.

In summary, this Hampton Inn offers a great hotel experience and we will stay here next time we're in San Diego....just don't plan on having them pick you up after your cruise. (Please note, we did not observe the Kid's activities but I could not remove the rating itself, so ignore that topic)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TNBOY
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear "TNBOY" thank you so much for your repeat business and for your review. Thank you too for your kind words about the hotel, despite the initial troubles. I want to reiterate for the rest of this great community that while we would like to be able to offer both pickup and drop of from and two the cruise terminal, we just would not be able to do a good job with the pickup due to congestion and this is why we do not try. I am glad that you again enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can see you again them next time you go cruising!

Miguel Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff is very kind and the room is very clean and comfortable, especially the bed and its cover.
There are some reviews about the noise caused by the railway near, however I didn't feel any noise in my room even if I am very sensitive to noise.
The menu of the breakfast is diverse and the food tastes good.
Compared to the star rating of the hotel, Hampton Inn should be valued over.
If I travel to another city, I would like to stay in Hampton Inn there.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear "sylee53", thank you kindly for your review and your business. I hope that we have become your premier lodging choice the next time you are in the area which hope is soon!

Have a wonderful winter, and next time you want to escape the cold, please see us!

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

This property has some really great things about it, but also some things which really need to be corrected.

The first night I checked in, my room preference was not available, which was fine (as I knew this when I booked my stay). I was prepared to stay in a different room type, and the room was clean and comfortable. There was nothing grand or special about it, but there was absolutely nothing to complain about either.

The beds however, were most uncomfortable. In both rooms, the bed was extremely hard. I enjoy a firm mattress, but at one point woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible back ache.

The second day, I was moved to the room type of my choice. This room was a bit smaller, but clean and comfortable. Except the noise from the train - every 10 minutes. They do provide you with ear plugs, but I am unable to wear them due to an inner ear condition. The bells from the train crossing are quite loud, and why the hotel did not install sound proof windows on this side of the building is beyond me - especially since I suspect the train was there long before the hotel was there.

That being said, the desk agent did warn me about the train prior to moving to that room. I just thought he had been overstating the noise factor.

A nice perk is the fresh coffee available in the lobby 24 hours a day, and surprisingly, the complimentary breakfast was quite nice. I did NOT like however, that the hotel chooses to use styrofoam plates for the breakfast. Please, catch up with the green movement, and at least switch to paper plates!

The staff were all very friendly, and not only were the rooms clean, but I also noticed the housekeeper doing high level dusting in the hallways as she was cleaning in the morning!

There are two real gems to this property however. The first is location. It's in a nice quiet area and only a block from the bay and the maritime museum. Beautiful location and easy to get to from the airport.

The other great thing about this Hampton is their shuttle service, and the willingness of the hotel to assist guests with travel. Without being asked during my 2 day stay, I had been offered by the desk and the shuttle drivers to take me to the San Diego Zoo and the Gas Lamp Quarter. I did not take the offer, but I was really surprised that this service was offered so freely. If I had been able to stay for a longer stretch and take more time for sightseeing, I definitely would have used this service.

All in all this property has a great potential for a fantastic stay. Improve the mattresses and sound proof the windows on the side of the building that face the train, and you're in business!

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the train.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear "RainnIceberg", thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am glad that there were lots of positive things to impact your stay!

I do want to let you know that now that the Quiet Zone has taken effect, which only affects the train's horns, I am hoping that this feedback provided to the city will encourage them to now work on he decibels coming from the clanging of the bells at the crossings. You are correct in your assessment about the hotel being put on the railroad tracks rather than the other way around and I don't think the designers thought the noise would be as substantial.

I am glad you enjoyed the location and amenities and I hope that we have done enough for your future consideration for lodging if you are ever in the area.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I had a third floor room on the street side (Pacific Highway). If you are going to be early, the road noise can be troublesome. The big issue is with the downtown shuttle train that runs right behind the hotel. I could hear the whistle even on the opposite side of the building. Other than that it was a decent hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jlencap
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear "CaptJose82", please accept my apology for the less than restful night sleep at our property.

I wanted to share that the "Quiet Zone", which has been a project a long time in the works is finally here! Effective November 24, 2012, trains will not have to blow their loud horns as they approach the intersections. I am sure that hundreds, if not thousands or area residents will be able to better enjoy their condos now that this is in effect, not to mention hotel guests such as you.

Should you ever want to give us another try, please contact me and I will take good care of you.

Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with my husband , a 3.5 yr old and a 11 month old infant. We stayed for 3 nights. We have been reading a lot of the reviews before booking, and decided to go with hampton inn because of price, and the location. We made sure to ask for a room facing the front / habor. At night we could hear the trains, but it wasn't to a point where the noise would wake me up. If you were still awake in bed, you could hear it, but it was like a backgound noise from a far. They provided ear plugs but i did not need to use them. My children did not wake up at night from the train, so which means it wasn't bad at all. I slept very well, as the bed sheets felt very clean. The washrooms were clean. Service was great.

When we arrived, the hotel system was down, but the staff did not delay us from checking in. They still gave us our room. It also included breakfast..which was surprisingly good. I thought it was breakfast only with croissants, and bagels...but there were hot food i.e. eggs, sausages..and two machines where we could make our own hot waffles. It was awesome with variety of juices.

To make our trip even better, the shuttle took us to the zoo, and to the horton Plaza at night. Service was so good, and they made our trip so much easier with the 2 kids. Overall, i really enjoyed staying and hampton and would definitely stay again the next time we visit.

Room Tip: Request for room facing front of building and facing habor front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear "Sandy C", thank you for you review of our property and for your business. There is nothing that makes me feel better than knowing that our hotel and staff contributed to your enjoyment of your vacation.
On an unrelated note, I wanted to let you know that effective 11/24/2012 our immediate area has a 24 hour mandated "QUIET ZONE". What this means is that no longer will the trains have to blow their loud horns as they approach the intersections! Please feel free to do a search for "quiet zone san Diego".

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed here while attending the ESRI conference. The trolley stops right behind the hotel so it's well located if you plan on riding the trolley to the convention center every day like I did. (I just wish that line went all the way to the convention center!) The hotel would also run their hotel shuttle to and from the convention center anytime it wasn't delivering to or picking up from the airport. (Another bonus - a downtown San Diego hotel which offers an airport shuttle!)

I had my baby and a friend at the hotel with me. They really enjoyed the pool and easy access to waterfront activities. Breakfast was great - do it yourself - hot waffles were delicious (a daily indulgence!). The breakfast area was always busy but we never had trouble finding a table. The hotel employees working the breakfast area kept it very clean and were always going out of their way to help me with the high chair, etc. We had pizza delivered to the room one night from nearby Little Italy.

Room Tip: I had an inside room with a view across the roof of the lobby to rooms on the other side. Plus - li...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_Miguel, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear "espritnumber5", I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities during your visit to San Diego. You are correct, the trolley is wonderfully convenient to our hotel, but it would be nicer if you did not have to transfer to another line to go to the convention center.

Thank you for our patronage, and we look forward to seeing you again at the next ESRI convention.

Cosby, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

In regards to other negative reviews, yes, it is right next to the train/trolly track. They should tell you this at booking but the train runs all the way through downtown so if you are staying anywhere in the area you will here it anyway. They do give you ear plugs and its just a little trolly with a horn, not a big rumbling train.

The rooms are very large. Beds a little firmer than I like but nice beds, nice lobby, large bathroom, no tub which was disappointing. They gave us a 2 pm check out which was amazing since out fight wasn't until 8:30 pm. Very nice hotel. Will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear ""thefoodcritic17", thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor and also for your business. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I see that you intend to visit us again, and I thank you for that too!