“great stay”

Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown
Ranked #75 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 9, 2007

It was a great experience for us. The location is perfect. The trolley stop is behind the hotel which is very convenient for travellers. The train sounds didn't bother us. The room was very comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was good. Overall a very good experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Sabafaisal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed October 6, 2007

Great location, near the waterfront! We could see a cruise ship from our front window so if you're taking a cruise this is walking distance from the terminal.

Yes, it is an older hotel and a little noisy but the price is good, the room was clean and the staff was great! The internet to print our boarding passes was also helpful. They also have a free shuttle to the airport.

We would stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Atlanta_Love2Travel
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I have stayed at many Hampton Inns and have never been disappointed until now. First of all this is an old property and had a depressing interior. But, that is not the worst thing about this hotel. There are four busy train tracks next to the hotel. All four tracks are busy throughout the day, and night. I should have known something was wrong when I arrived in my room and there were two pairs of ear plugs on the nightstand. If I would have used them, it would have not been enough. The trains are LOUD!!! You would think that the trains and noise would slow down late at night, but no. The trains come by every 10 or 15 minutes until about midnight and then arrive every 30 minutes until 6:00 am when they increase in frequency. The ringing barricades for the streets can be heard with every train. The guys driving the trains must delight in sounding the horns as much as possible. I paid $131 for one night and checked out as soon as possible the next morning. I checked in to the Hilton Resort at Torey Pines, about 20 minutes away and it was one of the nicest properties I have stayed at, and it was the same rate at $131.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank quiglyupover
Reviewed October 2, 2007

First the good parts. You will not find a better central location for seeing the sites in and around San Diego. The hotel is located approx. 3 miles from the airport, one street over from the water front. Compared to the hotels within a two mile area the Hampton offered the best prices by far. The hotel itself is spartan but functional. The rooms were standard hotel size and clean. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bathroom was well stocked and clean. Housekeeping was prompt and thorough. One of the things I liked is that you could open the windows and take advantage of the breeze off the water.

The morning breakfast was average but provided the protien to start the day and get you to lunch. As stated in previous reviews there is ample parking but it is tight. With a little manuevering you should have no problem. Check in took about 5 minutes and check out was automatic. The hotel provides a computer with printer (no charge) to print your airline boarding passes. You can also use it to check the internet for information on any sights you might plan on seeing.

Across the street is the Embarcadaro (sp) which is the city's tourist waterfront. You are within two blocks of the Maritime Museum, six blocks of the Midway Museum (fantastic tour) and about ten blocks from Seaport Village's quaint shops. They have a Crazy Shirt shop and several restaurants.

For dinner one only has to walk out the front door, turn right and head two blocks up the street to Little Italy. There you will find approx. two blocks of very nice restaurants. Be sure to eat at Phillipes Pizza Grotto. they have one of the few parking lots but get there early. We arrived at 4 PM and when we left about an hour later there were approx. 20 people waiting to get in. Price's are local and not touristy. And this was on a Tuesday afternoon. Heading back to the hotel you will pass a 7-11 where you can buy your Cheetos for an evening snack. If you like Mexican there is a locals taco stand next door.

If you don't choose to sitesee by rental car the City Trolley is directly behind the hotel. This is one of the best kept tourist secrets and takes you almost anywhere you may want to go. The Trolley runs all the way from Old town and the Fashion Mall to the Gaslight area. You may want to try the Commercial Tourist Trolley also as it goes to all the tourist attractions including Coronado.

All in all we found the Hampton Inn to be the ideal location for seeing San Diego and saving a few bucks.

Now the bad, the trains. Yes they are loud. Thank goodness I'm a train lover or I might have been upset over our location in the hotel. We were on the interior courtyard which acted just like an amphitheatre. With the windows closed they were a noticable nucense. With the window open they were LOUD. A pair of earplugs would do the trick, which I had, or you could come back later in the evening as they seemed to stop about 9 PM. I would suggest asking for a room on the outside or at the front of the hotel.

Anyway, we kept remarking about what a great location we had every time we returned to the hotel. Hope this review helped.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank graveljack
Reviewed August 31, 2007

We chose our stay at Hampton Inn - Downtown to be near the cruise terminal and to enable us to visit SeaWorld, following a couple of days of area sightseeing fun (Legoland, Zoo). We chose the Hampton Inn based on TripAdvisor and we found it to be true to the reviews posted here.

Overall, it was relatively clean and safe for a downtown chain hotel. We dropped our luggage off early in the day and took a taxi to SeaWorld (~$20) for the day. Our room was ready upon our return and we found the front desk service, breakfast, and shuttle to the cruise terminal the next day to all be very good. The location was good for walking down to the waterfront and we conveniently ate at the nearby Holiday Inn restaurant (family-friendly but also a lively pub atmosphere).

The train was loud and woke me a couple of times, but there were ear plugs provided in our room. The pool was nothing special; the rooms were adequate but I think the furnishings could use some updating. This is a downtown area so I guess the ~$160 per night is to be expected.... but for some it might be well worth it to pay the extra $20-$40 and stay at one of the nicer 3* or higher hotels in the downtown area.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank SillyCubby1
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed here one nite, very nice and clean, Hall ways were hot,
Room was nice and clean, but small.
The train runs behind the Hotel until 10p, so that was tolerateable,
The plus was being able to walk a 2 blocks to the ocean and the Star of India (Ship)
I think $160 was a little steep, but if you want to be close to the action, this is the place to stay,
Checked out early so I didnt get a chance to try the breakfast,
I Will add that I noticed someone from security that walked the halls at 6p and at 4a so that makes me feel like they were wanting to keeps the guests safe.
I will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank troubled1
Reviewed August 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn for a week while visiting family in San Diego. The service was excellent: If we needed extra towels etc., the response was immediate. The complimentary breakfast was very good, a nice variety of hot and cold choices. The location was fantastic and the rooms were very clean and a good size. The hotel does run parallel to a train station, and the train whistles can be very loud at night. Fortunately for us, we just slept through them. Next time, I would request a room at the front of the hotel. All in all, we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple