“Good, But No Frills”

Ranked #218 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Good, But No Frills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was invited to do a training for a non-profit in San Diego and was put up at ESA for two nights. It's a decent hotel but if you're looking for luxury, this ain't it.

THE PRO'S:
- The room appeared very clean;
- Staff was very nice: I don't think it's every happened that a few minutes after checking in, a front desk staff member called to ask if I found the room to be satisfactory and if I needed anything;
- The location's excellent; a hop skip and a jump from Old Town State Park, Mission Bay, Sea World, and many other S.D. attractions. Know, though, that the hotel is located on a two-lane street that runs parallel to the freeway and there's nothing but hotels along the street.
- Lots of hot water;
- Air conditioner worked great (until it suddenly stopped working in the middle of the second night, that is);
- The toilet in my room went berserk all night long the first night (loud noises that kept jolting me awake) but when I reported it to the front desk the next morning it was fixed immediately.
- Free parking(!)

THE CON'S
- My room smelled horrible. A manager-in-training graciously came in with Fabreze and sprayed the bedspread, and that helped for a few minutes, but the smell almost immediately returned and never left. I can understand that because people cook in the small rooms, the smell of food is hard to get out of the drapes, carpet, etc., but unfortunately, the windows in my room didn't open more than a quarter of a quarter of an inch, so I was stuck with the smell. I'd highly recommend that management allow the windows on the first floor to be opened at least an inch or two. The smell's hard to contend with.
- I asked for a wake-up call but did not receive one.

The "grab and go" breakfast consists of oatmeal packets, coffee, tea, granola bars, pre-packaged muffins, and some fruit. Maybe not a hot breakfast, but it's a lot more than a lot of hotels offer. The coffee is pretty decent but if you'd prefer a Starbucks, there's one located less than a mile down the road in the Courtyard Marriott.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank threedognight3
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the response and review of our hotel here at Extended Stay America - Hotel Circle - San Diego. I wanted to start by apologizing for the issues you had during your stay. I am glad that these issues were taken care of in a timely manner, however; I will take the housekeeping and maintenance issues to my staff and ensure that we use this visit as a training guide for our future reservations. Still, I am pleased you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast and that our location was convenient for your stay.

Again, thank you so much for your visit with us, we appreciate you choosing Extended Stay America.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was in San Diego for extended business purposes and I was to stay here for 3-4 weeks with my mother. The hotel was okay...very minimalist but decent. The rooms were clean and well furnished, everything worked properly, and the hotel staff that I worked with were fast, friendly, and very accommodating with all requests. The internet is decent, as is the television channel lineup, and they had everything in the room we could need, from a refrigerator, to a microwave, a stove, and even a water filter.

The rooms, however, smelled a bit funny, and the breakfast is SUPER minimal. It's not even really a breakfast at all, it's just coffee, an apple, and a granola bar. Our toilet was also broken when we moved into the room, and it leaked the bowl's contents onto the floor, but the staff was quick to rectify it and fixed the toilet within 24 hours.

However, my stay at ESA-Hotel Circle was cut short after a week...my mother got drunk, made a scene, trashed our room, and stabbed me, causing the police to be called (including the SWAT team, although they were sent away after she decided to come peacefully) and we were kicked out of the hotel.
The staff, apart from the manager on duty, was extremely friendly during the debacle, and deserve the highest praise. However, the manager on duty was rude, harsh, and difficult to deal with....he kicked us out of the hotel when he heard of the noise complaint, before he found out the worse things that had happened. In addition, he didn't allow me back into the hotel to collect my belongings from my room, and only let me when I had a three-officer police escort with me. He was also difficult to deal with and reach after the fact when settling the bill and the issues.

All things considered, the hotel is good. Not amazing, mind you....I wouldn't recommend it for short-term use but if you were needing a place to stay for anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months, I would definitely consider here as an option.

Room Tip: They have a Gold's Gym partnership...if you need to get a workout in you can get a voucher for a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
First let me thank you for the positive feedback in regards to our staff here at San Diego Hotel Circle. I will personally thank them for providing exceptional service during your stay with us. As far as your trip being cut short with us, Extended Stay Hotels goal is to provide great service, and safe accommodations for all of our guests that stay with us.

Thank you so much for the feedback you provided.
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is a duplicate of several others in this chain that I've stayed at. The room was comfy and clean. This one actually had two desks along with a couch. The bed was comfy with many pillows of different types so you could take your pick. I didn't need any of them but I thought it was interesting that there was only one fork and one spoon in the silverware drawer. This hotel is a bit more spendy then the others I've stayed at. Guess it's because of the area and maybe the time of year. But I'll be back when I have business again in this area. Nothing you can walk to as far as fast foods go but there are some 5 minutes away in a car.

Room Tip: It's in a quiet location so you shouldn't have a problem with noise in any room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dal e- Let me start by saying thank you for choosing our hotel during your time in San Diego. I'm glad overall you enjoyed the room. I apologize for the incorrect amount of utensils as from what you're telling me we seem to have missed. I have brought this up to my housekeeping staff to ensure we strive for more consistency of items being placed in rooms correctly.

Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. For any future reservations or to talk to me directly, just call 619-296-5570 or email me at shc@extendedstay.com. And again, from me and my staff thank you so much for choosing our hotel.
Pomona, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights Sunday through Friday on business and it was perfect. Very close to all kinds of attractions and a ton of places to eat. The beds are super comfy. Having a kitchen is the best. Full size fridge and a two burner stove top. No oven but you do have a microwave. There is a little coffee pot also. You are given one pan and one pot to cook with. You have some utensils to cook with and eat with. Clean bowls and plates. However everything sticks to the pans and pots so you may want to make sure you bring some oil or your own pots and pans. Also make sure you bring your own dish washing liquid and seasoning for your food.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the a/c worked well. It was nice and quiet and was able to rest comfortably. There is a section in the back of the hotel in the parking lot with a couple of grills and tables if you have a group of people that want to get together and grill. Very nice addition to the hotel. The staff were really nice and helpful also. If you are in the area I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

A beautiful stay at this Hotel. The room had a kitchenette which we wanted, because we would prepare a lot of our meals. The room was spacious and we had free Wi fi. It is located close to all sorts of shopping, malls, supermarkets, movie theaters and all the area tourist attractions. Will definitely stay here next time in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant on the property, but you can order from a in room menu. They also have a grab...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pjuroy
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
The team and I appreciate your great remarks. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your stay and able to take advantage of the kitchenette.

Thank you for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during Labor Day weekend. The positive: nice sized room with adequate storage, good sized kitchen and amenities, very helpful staff, laundry room on-site, iron and board available in the room, free WiFi.
The negatives: first floor hallway smelled like dogs all the time and we saw an excited retriever urinate there one day, our room had the slight odor like a dog had gone #2 in it, beds are doubles and not the most comfortable, and unfortunately very thin walls!
Advice: Bring your own toiletries since the hotel only provides toilet paper and a bar of soap in the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. Please accept our apologies that your room had a unpleasant smell. Still, we are glad you had that you were pleased with the overall room and amenities .

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I came on Labor Day Weekend. All of the rooms were booked, so it was a little bit noisy, but nothing too bad. The staff was great. The room was fine in my opinion, nothing outstanding. Everything was clean and tidy. I thought the pillows had a funny smell, but it could've just been in my head. My only complaint was the "breakfast". It was more like little snacks to get you through the morning until you can go get breakfast. However, it was free, so what do I expect? It was also a nice distance away from the beach and downtown. Overall, I think it was a nice stay for the price.I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for posting such a great review! We are pleased we were able to provide you with a tidy and comfortable room during your stay here in San Diego. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you again for your review.