“Not quite 'business efficiency'”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle
Ranked #226 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Not quite 'business efficiency'”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went to San Diego on a business trip (scouting for TV production) and decided to stay here because of the price, location, and fact that they promoted themselves as a business efficiency style hotel. We ran into problems up and down...if not for the price and location, it would have been a total fail. Ultimately, for the cost, it was average.

We reserved a room for two with two beds and we specified non-smoking. We were given a smoking room that reeked and told there were no non-smoking rooms available. After making a fuss, we got two single non-smoking rooms, which was a satisfactory solution. I think the staff member went out on a limb to keep us happy, but she shouldn't have had to, and we shouldn't have had to make such a fuss. The new rooms didn't reek of smoke, but did reek of cheap cleaning fluids. We had to air them out for them to be tolerable.

The furniture was totally inappropriate to a business efficiency hotel. Two small, awkward tables rather the one big table or desk. The outlets were also hard to reach -- they should be on the tabletops and not at floor level, and the hotel lamps should not take up outlets. Also the free internet access was completely insufficient. If you bill yourself as a business hotel, you better have good internet included. They don't tell you that you have to pay more for good internet.

The room was always hot unless we ran the AC on full. Then the room would get cold overnight, and the blankets were insufficient.

Not really any lobby or public space to speak of. Nowhere to get out of your room. We wanted to have an informal client meeting, but there was no where to do it. Again, missing this business hotel idea by a mile.

The rooms are nice and new but they don't clean your room unless your pay more for it or stay more than 7 days. I understand not doing a vacation-style cleaning every day, but some freshening of the room -- making the bed and doing the dishes -- is what I would expect from an efficiency hotel. If I'm on a business trip, I need to spend my time working, not washing a pot. It's not like they supply you with very many dishes, anyway. So ultimately, low marks on cleanliness .

I really wouldn't stay here again. There are a lot of hotels right next to this one and I would go to any of those first.

Room Tip: Make a fuss. We got two rooms for the price of once since they didn't have what we had reserved...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that you did not find our property up to the standards required of your needs. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is addressing a few of the items immediately, specifically, the fresh smell of the rooms. We are using new Proctor and Gamble chemicals which give the rooms a much fresher smell upon arrival. Additionally, we have contacted our internet provider to ensure that all of our access points are working properly. Lastly, we are retraining our associates on how to deal with mistakes in booking in a more friendly manner as to not inconvience our guests. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me, Jesse, at shc@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Easy in n out. Centrally located and restaurants close-by. Excellent staff too! :-) Don't forget the gab n go breakfast every morning. She forgot to tell me when I checked in and I missed the chance to get a quick bite. Rooms are great and newly-remodeled

Room Tip: A low-numered room will get you to the "back door" closer to the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank azsteve7
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We just received a copy of your most recent review. Thank you so much for the kinds words regarding the service of our associates. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels, we look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying at extended stay and had the most pleasurable stay! Extremely courteous staff!!! Room was very clean and well maintained. All appliances were in good working order. Bathtubs are spacious and clean. Kitchen was stocked with appropriate utensils. I will definitely recommend this location to my family and friends whom frequent San Diego. Thank you for a memorable stay!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luis R
We just received a copy of your kind review of our property and the service level of our associates. I'm thrilled that you decided to give Extended Stay Hotels a try and that you will definitely be coming back next time your are in San Diego!
Califorina
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Came to San Diego for a couple of days and stayed at the Extended Stay America - San Diego Hotel Circle and loved every minute of it. It was my first time in the hotel and I would definitely stay again. Rooms were spacious and clean. Front desk staff were very professional and polite. Loved the grab-to-go breakfast which was perfect to start your day. Location was perfect, minutes from Old Down Town, San Diego Zoo, shopping, movies, restaurants and easy freeway access. Guest have access to FREE Wi-Fi. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others and would return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time write a great review about your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled that the associates provided friendly and helpful service while you stayed with us. It's also great to hear that our amenities such as the grab and go breakfast and free wifi were a benefit while you stayed in San Diego. Thank you for chooing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to you seeing you next time you are in San Diego.
Riverside, California
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Price was why I chose this but I never heard of extended stay. Ashley booked my room for me,super friendly and was able to check in early. Very clean modern and enjoyed coffee in the am. Loved this place!!

Room Tip: Head to old town, thanks to the manager for the recommendation on cafe coyote
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank allycat551
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you taking the time to write about your first stay with Extended Stay Hotels. I'm so pleased to hear that your first stay with us was such a positive experience. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels and we look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had a great vacation thanks to this hotel really enjoyed the staff and the breakfast and coffee in the morning made it easier to take the day on the rooms were amazing and clean the location is awesome so close to every thing

• Stayed November 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write such an excellent review of our hotel. I'm thrilled that you had a great vacation in San Diego and that our location was perfect for your vacation and most impotantly that our rooms were fresh and crisp during your stay. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in San Diego.
Port Chester
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Came to San Diego to relax and have fun = success! The hotel was very clean and has professional, polite and extremely helpful and accommodating staff... I even met a former New Yorker in Gladys! Rooms were spacious and pet friendly. Guests have access to free Wi-Fi and a kitchenette in the rooms, as well as laundry 24hrs/day and on-the-go breakfast. Great location with easy access to the highway – perfect for sightseeing neighboring areas. Would definitely recommend and stay again in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily210
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Hotel Circle, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to San Diego. I'm thrilled to hear that our associates provided polite, friendly and helpful service while you were visting San Diego. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, when your travels bring you back to San Diego.