“still wonderful”

Lappert's Ice Cream
Ranked #112 of 154 Dessert in San Diego
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Kinda surprised that nobody has reviewed Lappert's since my review a year ago. I can add that since then they have expanded their outdoor seating. I love that they serve their sundaes with regular metal flatware, not plastic. And here's my list of don't-miss flavors: Kanai pie, Kahlua truffle, praline pecan, manila mango...........and drumroll please.............my all-time favorite: coconut pineapple. Order their coconut pineapple ice cream with a little Dole Whip on top and experience perfection.

1  Thank illinois travelere
There are newer reviews for Lappert's Ice Cream

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Don't be put off by the weird location, the lack of ambiance, or the high prices. This is incredible ice cream!! And they also have Dole Whip. And Oreo crumbs. And free samples. So the thing to do is try several Hawaiian-themed flavors; order a small-ish portion (since the ice cream is so very, very rich); top it with Dole Whip and Oreo crumbs; eat slowly; and be very, very happy as long as the combo lasts.

1  Thank illinois travelere
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Hands down, the BEST ice cream joint in San Diego. A five star rating is a rarity; you're met with thinking "is this person one of those that is 5-star crazy and gives it to everything? It can't be THAT good" While I, myself, feel that skepticism time and time again you will be sure that this is for real when I say that I drove 27 minutes to visit Lappert's on the rainy-est of days in San Diego.

I ordered the Guava Cheesecake ice cream with a shot of Dole Whip. Between the shivering whispers of "this is so good" I admired this lounge and their cleanliness. Also, the plethora of flavors really makes it special. From a White Russian tasting Kahlua ice cream to manila mango sorbet, the hawaiian based flavors are too good to pass up. And the dole whip, my goodness that dole whip is one of the best things I've ever tried. A sure fire punch of pineapple flavor and dairy free? it's feels too healthy to be true and yet you can't get enough of it.

I was able to purchase a cup of macadamia nut coffee before I left and it was a very smooth coffee as expected of hawaiian coffees. Also, when visiting Lappert's be sure to converse with the charming fellow behind the counter that can really give you great suggestions on what to try and perhaps soon enough, you will find yourself driving the distance just to drown yourself in dole whip.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

I love Lapperts Ice Cream but this location lacked customer service!!! Waited for them to open at 11:30. Walked in the open door at 11:30 to be told to give them (male and female) 5 minutes for them to open. In the mean time the male and female were yelling at each other about Facebook…really you’re going to tell your customers to wait while your argue about looking at some other girls Facebook??? As we walked to the car to leave, you could still hear them yelling at each other. It was ridiculous! Leave your personal drama at home!

1  Thank Maria B
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I found out about this company from all of vacations over the years to Hawaii, when I found out they had a location in San Diego, I had to pay a visit when I was in San Diego on vacation. The location is the only Lappert's store not in a tourist market, so it is about a 20 minute drive from down town San Diego or the coastal area of San Diego. This store is one of the largest Lappert's I have visited, and also contained the best and largest selection of favors. The decor is modern and really posh compared to most of there other stores. The service and product awarded the store top 10 ice cream store by USA Today. All of your favorite Lappert's flavors can be found as usual, also there coffee line, And Dole Whip! I never knew you could get the whip outside of Hawaii and Disneyland. Call ahead though to see if your favorite flavor is available, because they rotate flavors everyday and the store gets extremely busy and sells out.