“Neighborhood gastropub, good food, great space”
Review of Bankers Hill

Bankers Hill
Reserve with OpenTable
Bankers Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #402 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Italian, International, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Seattle, WA
“Neighborhood gastropub, good food, great space”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Bankers Hill is located in a quiet neighborhood just west of Balboa Park. It's a cool space, very urban and industrial, with shades of a modern barn full of beams and reclaimed wood. Having dined in more than my fair share of gastropubs I was prepared for familiar food. Bankers Hill provided a fair share of pleasant surprises. We started with a lovely tuna tartare, served with crisp crackers and a lovely spicy Serrano chili salsa. Second courses were butternut squash soup and a wonderful prosciutto, fig and burrata salad. Our mains were a boneless duck confit served over red cabbage and yams and a gnocchi bolognese with rich chunks of beef. Great service and cocktails rounded out the meal. Definitely a local spot and off the tourist track. Very good and worth a visit!

Visited November 2012

Palm Beach, Florida
“Great first stop from the airport”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our Jet Blue no food flight from New York arrived at 8:30pm and we picked up our luggage and went directly to Bankers Hill.....I had deviled eggs then a hanger steak. Dale and our friends shared 2 fig salads and then each had something else. Arriving at 9:30pm is great as the place is quiet but still has a few guests. What a great menu, terrific staff, great looking room YUM

• Visited October 2012
Julian, California
“Worth trying. Very good food prepared and presented in a very interesting way that surely should please”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have eaten at this midtown restaurant twice in the past few months and would say it is definitely worth you trying. They currently are very popular on the weekends which makes it not the place for a quiet romantic dinner but acceptable for most other events. The bar seemed popular and there was a dollar of the wines during Happy Hour and some smaller portions of appetizers served at a lower price also. We had dinner with a very nice fig salad---ask for more greens and the fish of the day and an egg plant entree and also had their popular truffled flavored French fries as an appetizer/side dish ,although the bread and butter would have been enough carbohydrate. Both entrees were very flavorful and adequate sizes portions. The wines by the glass we ordered were flavorful but not vineyards I recognized (not necessarily a bad thing) but were a couple of dollars "over priced". We did not have desert but with 3 glasses of wine, one appetizer two entrees and one cup of coffee tax and tip came to about $100 for 2. Not excessive but not cheap---so my suggestion is watch the wine.
I would definitely suggest reservations especially on the weekends and after 6-7PM
Definitely worth a try especially if you do not want to hassle with crowds
and parking in the Gaslamp. On the corner of 4th and Ivy.

• Visited October 2012
Palm Springs, California
“Best Food in San Diego”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food here is unbelievably good. It's not very often that every single course is amazing, but here, it really is. The atmosphere is great, staff are friendly and I would say it's one of the best restaurants I've been to. I've been twice so far and will be visiting again this week. Yum!!!!

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
“One of the BEST dining experiences I have EVER had”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

From the moment I was greeted by a friendly host to a GENUINELY friendly wait staff to unbelievable fresh, salivating food I knew this restaurant is top notch. I dined at 715pm on labor day weekend so the restaurant was very busy, however the service was spot on. Our server had great wealth of knowledge of food and beverages and very friendly. I cannot say enough on how good the food was and priced very well... you just have to go and try... we had corn soup, cevieche and hanger steak... Oh and the atmosphere is awesome too! Good place for friends, family, couples whoever!

• Visited September 2012