“Frankly, there are no downsides..”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #20 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Stayed 1 night in Courtyard by Marriott Central in San Diego - very nice hotel. Our room looked and felt new, spacious enough, linens are very fresh and crispy. We had a view on the parking lot and a highway but didn't care too much about , didn't even bother to open the balcony. I'm usually concerned about the sleep quality of the place as i am a very light sleeper - either i was very tired or the hotel was very quiet:) ( they had a football team staying there the night before but, luckily for us, the team was leaving the day we checked in). Shampoo, conditioner, and the face/body soaps in the bathroom - i 'm not familiar with the brand, but good quality. We haven't tried the restaurant but the buffet looked tasty in the morning. Location is not very close to downtown/gaslamp/seaport but close enough - 10 minutes drive took us back to the hotel from the heart of Gaslamp quarter. Unfortunately, didn't have a chance to take a look at the pool too! Overall, definitely coming back - good hotel with very reasonable prices ( we used AAA discount) and convinient location with free parking.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mashinka
There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Diego Central

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I wasn't a big fan of Marriott hotels. In the past when I stayed there the rooms were old, the buildings were old and outdated, and the service was poor. Well one stay at this hotel and all of that has changed. I even signed up for Marriott Rewards because when I am in the San Diego Area I will be at this hotel.

Not even sure where to begin.....how about with the Management. You can tell a good leader when he works the front desk and also drives the hotel van. I wouldn't have known he was the manager. The only way I found out is someone asked.

The rooms are awesome. They are comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the linens nice and crisp.

But my favorite part of this hotel is the food. I ordered a Turkey Burger for room service and it was one of the best Turkey burgers that I have ever had. It was well seasoned and just delightful.

But the number 1 food experience is the breakfast buffet. The bacon is to die for. I ended up finding out that the Manager special orders the bacon and it's unique to that property. It is delicious..nice and thick and cooked very well.

I highly, highly recommend this hotel. I had a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed here for two nights last week while visiting San Diego. We have two teenaged sons who are too tall to be cramped into a double bed together. It's not always easy to find a hotel with two queen-sized beds. Our room at this Courtyard was perfect with two queen-sized beds, a couch and desk area. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms and hotel were very clean and modern, and there was no noticeable noise from the outside.

The only negative thing about the room was that the vanity area was very small and cramped. There was little room on the vanity for us to leave our toiletries and it was too small for two people to be standing in that area.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes outside the city center, but right off the highway and easily accessible to town. We prefer staying away from the hustle and bustle, not to mention the added benefits of plenty of free parking, free internet and computers in the business center and less traffic. It was a great location that put us closer to La Jolla and LA without having the downtown traffic.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We recently spent a week at the Courtyard Marriott San Diego Central...and for the most part the hotel met the majority of our needs. We were visiting San Diego with our softball team who was participating in a local tournament. We extended our stay by several days to take in some of the sites of San Diego. Our rooms were in great shape, very clean and presentable. Rooms included fridges, free wireless and no cost for parking. The beds were very comfortable, as is the bedding, which is typical of what I have seen from Courtyard Marriotts. One flaw that became very annoying, was that the bathroom door opened into the vanity area, so if anyone was using the vanity, they would have to move to allow someone to enter the bathroom, and move again, so that someone could get out - I consider this a real architectural flaw. The hotel provided us with hot breakfasts each morning for our sports group. The breakfast was great and plentiful...but no changes in the buffet breakfast that they provided. You just can't eat the same food 7 mornings in a row...it would have been nice to see some variety. The staff were always helpful and respectful. The hotel is right by Interstate access, yet tucked back far enough away that you do not hear any road traffic. As noted above...great hotel, can't go wrong...would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend, while we were in San Diego visiting Sea World. It's about a 15 minutes drive to Seaworld. Very clean and well kept rooms and an overall nice hotel at a decent price. Nothing much hapenning around the neighborhood but great for crashing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stayed here for two nights with three generations and extended family. Visited the Wild Animal Park and the San Diego Zoo. Check-in was a breeze and the service here is pretty good. No problems. It was a busy weekend with a lot of youth soccer kids staying for a local game, but the hotel seemed to do a great job accommodating.

PARKING/LOCATION: Ample and FREE! That's a big deal in San Diego. I chose this hotel because it is close to San DIego Zoo (about 10 min away) and to a bunch of other things to do in San Diego, but it's away from everything so that you're not having to deal with traffic and crazy parking prices. Take note: The Wild Animal Park is not that close because it's located in Escondido (about 25-30 min away). We were coming from Los Angeles, so we went there first and then to the hotel. Worked out perfectly. The Zoo is better than the Park IMO.

ROOM: The room was nicely decorated- pretty modern and new. Bathroom is shower/tub combo. The shower doesn't have much room on the ledge to put your toiletries and stuff. Neither does the sink area. The towels were a little thin and scratchy and the beds were pretty darn uncomfortable. I think it was the pillow. Not really sure, but the sleep quality was pretty low. There's free wireless in the room also and that's a plus. Also a nice big flat screen tv.

HOTEL: The pool was hopping and bopping. Lots of people utlizing that. There's a business center with free computer use. The lobby area and lounging area is very cozy and nicely decorated. The breakfast buffet is really nice compared to other hotels. There's omelettes and everything (not just bad continental breakfast stuff). There's also a variety of restaurants near the hotel. Just ask the front to give you the paper with the list of restaurants. Note: There's a bunch of good Japanese places that are actually owned and frequented by Japanese people (that's a good sign). We ate at a Japanese BBQ place that had the best meat ever (even the Yelpers agree). Also, I took a quick glance at the room service menu and it was one of the most reasonable prices for room service food I've ever seen at any hotel. If I were staying longer, I might've tried it!

All in all, it was a nice hotel and besides the uncomfy bed, there were no other major problems. Great location and I would recommend to others!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SassyGRL
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The service was wonderful. Michelle serviced us breakfast every morning with a smile. She and the rest of the staff took very good care of us! I would stay there again! You will need a car if you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family