“Marriott Animal House”

Courtyard San Diego Central
Ranked #21 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I should have connected the dots when I read the glowing reviews about how this property is 'great for sports teams', because the hotel was filled with them--Noisy, drunk and loud college students in large groups partying in their rooms until early morning hours. We came to for a romantic weekend getaway weekend for Valentine's Day and it's been an utter disaster. After the first night I complained to the front desk in the morning and was basically told they were aware of the problem and were 'cracking down'--but they offered no apology and no possible solution. A move to a different room for our second night, might have been a solution. Since I got no where at the front desk, I wrote to Marriott's customer care and did receive a sympathetic response fairly quickly with the promise that Andy, the desk manager would be contacting me. We never heard from anyone in management. Our second night was as bad as the first,and this time were were forced to call the front desk to complain. Security did come up to the room next door and loudly proclaimed. "Your neighbors have complained twice"--nice, let's just tell the perps exactly who's complaining so we can be targeted. Overall this as a terrible weekend and a disappointing experience. I will never be back and the lack of response to our complaints from the management here was stunning--obviously they couldn't care less.

Room Tip: Find an alternate hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Eric W
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Eric,
I am so sorry for your experience. I could not imagine how disappointed I would be if I planned a romantic weekend and the hotel and it's guests ruined my weekend. Our management team takes guests issues very seriously and will absolutely learn from our mistakes this weekend. I will certainly address the lack of response and hope we have the opportunity to make this up to you.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Showed up at this Courtyard at midnight after a long 18 hour day and was told that although they had my reservation they were completely full. In all my years of travel I've never been bumped from a hotel - until now. It won't happen again, at least at this hotel - never again will I trust them with my travel and I'll make darn sure our corporate travel agency knows how they operate.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank COFamilyTruckster
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

COFamilyTruckster,
I am truly sorry that this happened. You are right, this is not acceptable and I hope that this experience does not resonate for future stays with Marriott. You deserve the flawless experience that the Marriott name offers and we did not perform.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and I hope that the accommodations that were offered suited your needs.

With regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Here for business , i found this property in good shape , clean and staffed with friendly helpful people. Its located in a central business area with no real amenities within walking distance . As a jogger, however, i did appreciate the long flat side walked avenues. There is also a very nice courtyard and pool . I enjoyed my stay and will book it again

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

ctsv157,

I am so pleased that our sunny San Diego weather allowed you to take advantage of the jogging around the hotel. If you do happen to get back when the weather is not as agreeable we do have a 24-hour fitness center that will allow you to keep up your routine.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our organization needed a place close to our event for the weekend. The Courtyard and all staff we dealt with before and during our weekend was very accommodating with all our needs. I would highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Heidi S,

I am so pleased that your meeting was a success. I will be sure to share your kind words with our catering and banquet staff.

Thank you again and have a great week.

Regards,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend for the Chargers/Cowboys game. The room was large, comfortable and clean. The hotel staff was really friendly and helpful with the area. The proximity to Qualcomm was excellent although there isn't too much else in the area. We did venture down to the Gaslamp district for dinner and the ride wasn't too long (maybe 15 minutes). There are also some gas stations and stores like Rite-Aid and Target in the near by area if you need anything late at night. We weren't in town to be tourists so it suited us quite well. The hotel seemed to be full of football fans and had a great atmosphere in the lobby/dining area. Also free wifi is always a perk. Overall, felt very comfortable and all needs were met/exceeded. I would definitely come back to this hotel again if traveling for a game.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NJGirlvTheWorld

NJGirlvTheWorld,

Thank you for taking time to look us up and share your experience so many months later! That is great! I hope you were able to meet our bartender Don, and have a quick cocktail at the Gazebo Bar. Even though the Chargers are not facing the Cowboys in the 2014 season, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have been using this hotel for a few years to travel my Girls water polo team. This is an ideal location to any area in San Diego, The hotel is centrally located with the Marriott standard of excellence. In addition working with Kimmy Bui has made the trips flow smoothly. She understands the needs of teams traveling as well as the accommodating the various changes that group travel creates. If you are looking for a high quality place that is totally accommodating for your group then look no further. We will be using this courtyard for many more trips in the future.

Room Tip: The two room suites are fantastic.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Pat H.
You made my day! Thank you so much for recognizing Kimmy and our team for their hard work. We look forward to hosting your team again soon. I will be sure to pass along your message to Kimmy as well.

Thank you again and have a great week.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Rosa is very accommodating and has looked after our groups needs and service during our stay and made us feel like locals and most of all friends. Our group is here on business, this will be a good experience because of the staff and her effort to make us comfortable and accommodate our needs.

Room Tip: Stay on the inside of the hotel area overlooking the pool it is quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Tiffany M, Director of Sales at Courtyard San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Tim,

It is such a pleasure to hear your kinds words. Thank you so much for recoginizing Roza! She is a great asset to our team and I know that she is my go-to-gal for all the local spots! I am so glad that she shared her expertise with you and your coworkers.

We hope you come visit us again soon.